Engine General Engine Discussion.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By SoCal805
  • 1 Post By chicoman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 19, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Craig

Send a message via AIM to Craig1969 Send a message via MSN to Craig1969 Send a message via Yahoo to Craig1969
Quality Header Gaskets for BBC

I have a 454 in a 70 Camaro, Headman ceramic headers, and an aggravating "tat tat tat" leak on #5 that I can't tighten out of. It appears to have a multi layer aluminum gasket now. Which brand is the hot ticket now? Not concerned with re-use etc, just want a quality gasket to get rid of that leak. Saw some made by MAHLE, Mr. Gasket, Remflex..... more names than I ever knew made them.

-Craig

Prepare to be the center of attention when you drive a first generation Camaro. You will be gawked at. Grown men & women will coo like children when you drive past. Children will scream like babies. Dogs & cats will get along. Does it get any better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 19, 02:24 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Quality Header Gaskets for BBC

I like Percy's Dead Soft Aluminum gaskets; but nothing is going to seal if your headers are warped. While you have them off put a straight edge across the flange and measure to see how far off flat they are.

If they are too warped you are going to have to cut a tube and reweld it, which negates your ceramic coating.

Big Dave
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 19, 02:51 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

I've been using Remflex without issue, don't attempt to bend them though.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 19, 03:26 PM
Senior Tech

I have always used FelPro….but if your flange and head is not dead nuts flat, nothing is going to seal

always advised re-tighten header bolts after a few heat cycles after initial install
Mike_S likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 19, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Craig

Send a message via AIM to Craig1969 Send a message via MSN to Craig1969 Send a message via Yahoo to Craig1969

Thanks Dave, I saw that brand as well. On a small block I had that wouldn't seal, I just cut the flange and it pulled up fine. These headers/gaskets were on already on this particular car so I'll try gaskets first.
By the way, the 396 goes in my 69 on Monday. Took awhile but I done lots more engine bay work etc than I intended. Oh, and no headers!

-Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larger Dave View Post
I like Percy's Dead Soft Aluminum gaskets; but nothing is going to seal if your headers are warped. While you have them off put a straight edge across the flange and measure to see how far off flat they are.

If they are too warped you are going to have to cut a tube and reweld it, which negates your ceramic coating.

Big Dave

Prepare to be the center of attention when you drive a first generation Camaro. You will be gawked at. Grown men & women will coo like children when you drive past. Children will scream like babies. Dogs & cats will get along. Does it get any better?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 19, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Craig

These are hard gaskets?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodent4 View Post
I've been using Remflex without issue, don't attempt to bend them though.
Yeah I'm not sure on these. The Headmans are relatively new so hopefully a thicker/plyable gasket will take care of it. I tried tightening them but they were pretty much as tight as they are going to get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal805 View Post
I have always used FelPro….but if your flange and head is not dead nuts flat, nothing is going to seal

always advised re-tighten header bolts after a few heat cycles after initial install

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 19, 06:18 PM
Senior Tech
bob

Use of Ultra Copper RTV can also be helpful addition in sealing header gaskets.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 19, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Craig

Dave, Just found out the brand gaskets on the headers now. Percy's Seal-B-Good is the brand. Believed to have been on the car since 2015 installed. Car has been driven around 3500 miles.

-Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larger Dave View Post

Big Dave

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 19, 03:20 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

I have found that if the weld for the tube is in the inner part of the flange, then ground flat, the chance is high that one or more ports don't seal well. Use a flat edge to check these welds, or the entire flange for warping. I don't think there's a gasket out there that can compensate for much warpage.

Never argue with an idiot; they'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 19, 09:18 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig1969 View Post
These are hard gaskets?
Soft and fragile, sorta like trying to bend a wafer biscuit
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 19, 04:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Garage

Try using a double set of gaskets and spray some copper coat in between them and they should seal even if a little warped.
flat tire likes this.

1969 Camaro LM1
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 19, 05:27 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

I use the regular gasket along with Mr gasket soft aluminum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode