Old cast iron manifolds on new vortec heads - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Travis

Old cast iron manifolds on new vortec heads

Old cast iron manifolds on new vortec heads....will they fit? I know the intake manifold is different but I'm not sure about the exhaust manifolds. I know it isn't the best option for performance but fitment and budget are more important to me right now than giving up alittle performance.
I'm looking at a crate engine from blueprint that has vortec heads thats in the price range.

Whats brought me to this point may be entertaining or a good lesson (or both) for others......I put a new intake with the Holly Sniper, Hyperspark distributor, ignition box and coil on an existing engine. Super simple install....ran through the initial programming steps and fired the engine. Sounded great right up until the point that the valve cover bolt that somehow snuck into one of the intake runners made it past the valve and into #3 cylinder.
While I was tearing it back apart I knew exactly what had happened......I left the valve covers on when swapping manifolds but the new manifold wouldn't drop into place with them on. I pulled the passenger side first and then the drivers side which got hung up on some wiring in the rear. The bolts all dropped when the it finally came lose and I found all but one. I asked my son if he saw anything in the lifter valley which he didn't so we assumed it landed on the floor. Apparently not and a pretty expensive mistake that could have been avoided.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 03:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Truly sorry to hear about the bolt issue. The manifolds should bolt up without a problem if your drivers side head has 3 bolt holes on cylinder #1. I have not seen one that doesn't, but who knows. Better luck in the future.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 08:40 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Old cast iron manifolds on new vortec heads

I am with Keith; as to interchange. But once again I have no experience with BluePrint that cast's their own blocks and heads.

Can not see why it wouldn't fit as headers use the older SBC bolt pattern, not the more modern Vortec layout that uses it's own funky "W" log manifold instead of the more efficient ram's horn style used on earlier Chevys.

Big Dave

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Travis

Re: Old cast iron manifolds on new vortec heads

Thanks gentlemen. I believe this particular combo is a seasoned Chevy block and heads and not the blueprint castings.
I just decided to bolt the head back on and run it.....nothing to lose and Im curious. This hopefully gives me some time to decide if I want to go the crate route or put something together myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode