496 BBC Help - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lonnie P

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 19, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

496 BBC Help

I have started my venture of putting a 496 BBC in my Camaro.

The engine builder is Skip White Performance, 10.5 compression, Comp Cams .575/.575 with 254/260 duration on 112:

https://www.skipwhiteperformance.com...-674-hp_90546/

The builder suggests using a vacuum pump system due to the cam size. Is this cam really big for a 496? Am I venturing from a street/strip engine to a drag engine?

I have not seen a vacuum pump system on a street car and is this necessary for this engine?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 Camaro with 388 with Edleborck RPM heads, Air Gap, CC 282S, Tremec TKO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 04:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Re: 496 BBC Help

For what its worth, I have a smaller motor with a bigger cam and I pull about 10'' of vacuum at idle. My power brakes work fine. I have a 461 BBC and my cam is .595/.612 with 242/252 duration on 110. 10.5 compression. I personally don't think you need to run a vacuum pump.

1969 SS Garnet Red X55 350 Factory 4 speed
12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 05:51 PM
Senior Tech
Morgan

Garage

His cam has a lot more duration and on the edge

69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 automatic [email protected], 1.95 on f70-14 polyglas F.AS.T. Race June 2016
69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 4spd [email protected] 1.93 60ft on F70/14
PSMCDR 2014
71LS6 vette [email protected] PSMCDR 2012 SOLD

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 06:10 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

One wonders why?

Cam makes power from 3,600 to 6,300 RPM. It is a split duration cam. Which really helps with breathing in a BBC, used normally in a jet ski boat.

If it only makes power above 3,600 RPM what is he going to do for power below that RPM? That is the question I always ask people not building a dedicated, trailered race car. Try and race with a street car, and a dedicated race car will beat you every time. Drive a race car on the street and it will be just about undrivable most of the time, and probably get you arrested every now and then.

Big Dave
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 07:26 PM
John

Garage

Imo people focus too much on advertised peak power numbers. Street cars you really want low end torque.

I much do you drive a street cars over 5000 rpm!

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 19, 10:04 PM
Probationer

I would suggest to skip the pump and go hydroboost if you need help with brakes. Having said that I have a near new Summit billet aluminum pump and JL Fabrication-chrome can I would sell.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 19, 10:06 PM
Probationer

I too am embarking on the same 496 big block swap on my 73. Has anyone used the Jegs oil pan they recommend for a 73?
Thanks
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 19, 08:24 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

A '73 Camaro body should use the same oil pan as used on a first gen Camaro, any Chevelle, or full size car. Can not use a Corvette pan or a truck pan as those will not fit in a car body. This assumes you have a Mark IV block (two piece rear main seal).

Since the Gen V and Gen VI blocks where never installed in a car body, they all have truck oil pans and oil pump pick-ups that need to be replaced, if you use a one piece rear main seal block in your '73 Camaro.

Big Dave
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 19, 08:38 AM
Probationer

Thanks Dave. Talking to Summit rep he claims they don’t show their brand of pan that will work in the 73. Jegs says theirs will as well as a moroso. Called moroso and they said theirs would definitely work. Read something on forum that made perfect sense in that a big block was not available in 73 that is why some might say not available. One member says pan that will work on 71-72 will also work on 73. He is using that on his. Makes sense. Think it is safe to make same assumptions for headers. Appears only Options are Hooker and Doug’s. Unless someone with experience can tell me differently, which I welcome input. Definitely want tuned long tube. Thanks
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 19, 08:57 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

The only two cars to have a BBC factory installed in 1973 was the Corvette and the full size Chevy (Impalas), because it wasn't meeting either emissions or gas mileage quotas (applied across the entire line). Because trucks were exempt from emissions back then). The BBC continued to be used in light and medium duty trucks which is why they are the only source for engines after 1974 (the BBC was still offered in 1974 in the 'vette, though few bought them as they were gutless).

Your body is the same (size wise) as all second gen Camaros so the motor drops right in. The second gen was designed with the BBC as an option and room was made for it so it doesn't sit side saddle like it does in the first gen bodies. No special motor mounts required (I recommend the '73 clam shell style be used instead of the earlier glued together style motor mounts). Only problem I have ever had with second gen Camaros is in the front suspension as the parts to bolt the wheels on changed every other year (bearing size, or suspension bushing size kept changing).

Big Dave
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 19, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the suggestions all. I was curious about the cam listed in that motor I posted. Dave suggested it is a cam designed for marine use. Sure enough that is what they are putting in the BBC engines they are building. What is the difference with a marine cam and a vehicle cam and why would you build a street motor with one in it?

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 19, 06:50 PM
Probationer

Big Dave. Great info. Since the BB will drop right in where the SB now sits will the center spacing of the engine be the same? The reason I ask is because I’m now running a Edlebrock high rise tunnel ram with 2-4’s. My hood is cut out for that. Beautiful polished 15” oval air cleaner setting on the carbs. Paint job that I don’t want to disturb. I want to keep the same look with at least the air cleaner sticking through. That is why I ask about center spacing. No plans for tunnel on the BB.
Thanks
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 19, 07:28 PM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

Don't weigh too much into something loosely labeled a Marine cam....
Cams aren't specifically made for boats or cars, they are designed for making power at different rpm ranges & also profiled for varying conditions...

Marine use requires a strong mid to upper HP output & a somewhat flat torque curve. Also important in a marine application is long term durability because an engine may run for over an hour at 4000 rpm on the water. These cams should be easier on valve train than a drag race oriented cam which may make more peak HP, but also require more frequent valve spring replacement, valve adjustment etc.

This durability is good for a street car, as is a broad torque curve

That cam is pretty big & you will not mistake the idle it has. With a correct stall converter, it will still drive OK, but make no mistake it isn't for your average work car or something you run if you plan to frequently sit in traffic while enjoying the stereo. If you want a cruiser, pick the smaller cam option & sacrifice 50-75hp.
Larger Dave likes this.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 19, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I appreciate the help and guidance on this topic. I really did not know what "marine cam" was about and I have been educated on the subject. Will be stepping the cam down a bit as the one I listed seems a bit much.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 19, 06:02 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

25X/26X with 1.65 RR's, on a 110 LSA/ 106 ICL, .630+ lift, and was right at about 10"hg in my old 406ci SBC....I'm thinking with 100" bigger, I'd try it with out first, unless you also have low tension rings.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode