Power steering pump bracket (rear) - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 19, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Power steering pump bracket (rear)

In the AIM, it shows two different "braces" (the rearward bracket that has the adjustment slot) for the small block power steering pump. Because my 327 has headers, it looks like the bracket for the Z28 option (I don't have a Z28) would work, as it uses the same two holes that the cradle for the power steering pump uses. The other (non Z28) brace uses two holes that look to be on the side of the block, that I do not see on mine.

Maybe I'm reading the AIM wrong, but it shows a blowup with an arrow labeled "A", showing these two different adjustment braces.

Never argue with an idiot; they'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 19, 08:37 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Power steering pump bracket (rear)

Kevin, I believe you're talking about a 67. I just went through this on mine.
Looking at UPC 40 A2. The 2 rear most holes in brace item #13 share the same
mounting holes as the motor mount. This brace is mounted on top of the motor
mount, not underneath it. For this brace to work you will have to use the original style
non interlocking motor mounts. If you use the Z28 brace, item #19, the pump/pulley will
be spaced out by the thickness of the brace as they are mounted on top of each other.
Due to this I believe you'll need the Z28 balancer pulley for alignment. David Pozzi has
a section on this on his web site. Here's a couple of pics as I was mocking up the mounting.
These pics may be misleading as I didn't have the motor mounts at the time the pics were
taken. Again, the brace goes on top of the motor mount, not underneath it. When I get time
I'll add pics of the finished mounting.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 19, 05:35 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Here's pics of the finished mounting using brace item #13 and bracket item #14
with the original style motor mounts. The crankshaft pulley is stamped 3751232 BB.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 19, 11:03 PM
David Pozzi

My info on them. Camaro steering

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 19, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Thanks to both of you two!!! Seeing the pictures was worth a million, as I now see that the bracket uses the front engine mount holes, and not other block holes I thought were needed.

As seen in the first picture without the motor mount installed, am I able to access the lower hole for the rear brace, or remove the long vertical bolt that locks the engine to frame engine mount to gain access to the lower hole? Or, do I have to remove the entire engine mount? Engine is in the car.

Never argue with an idiot; they'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 19, 05:52 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Kevin, Use the same procedure as changing the motor mount. Raise and support the engine
to gain access. Work safely of course. Be sure you have the correct original style mount. Also
the repop brackets aren't perfect so you'll probably need to twist and tweak them a few times.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 19, 07:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

I swapped out my 327 PS bracket for the Z28/350 PS bracket on my '67 so I could use interlocking motor mounts and an 8 inch balancer.The Z28/350 bracket is a much better design that is also much easier to adjust than the 327 bracket. It's better in every way. You will also need a new PS pump pulley but can use the same crankshaft pulley with either setup. The part number of the new PS pump pulley is 3770509.

Steve

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 19, 08:03 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Steve's suggestion may be the way to go. For reference my ps pulley is #3860457.
I noticed this number is not mentioned on David's site but it was used on 67-68 Camaros
among others.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 19, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

The engine mount I have resembles what's in the pictures in post #3. The engine already has installed three pulleys installed, and they all appear to be original. I'm guessing a previous owner installed this correct year 1967 327 engine in the car, as it was once a 6 cylinder, and non power steering. I'm converting to it, and already have the steering box and complete linkage setup; just need the two brackets, pump, and pressure lines.

One thing though that confuses me: in post #3, it mentions that crankshaft pulley part number is 3751232 BB, and in post #8, it states PS pump pulley 3860457. What is meant by "crankshaft pulley"?

Also, it appears that my existing motor mounts are the original style non interlocking motor mounts. However, I don't know what the locking (?) style look like to compare. Anyone have a link or picture of locking types?

Last edited by bucko; Mar 1st, 19 at 05:35 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 19, 08:10 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Kevin, The crankshaft pulley I was referring to is the outer most pulley you see in the pics.
It is the pulley that drives the power steering pump. The inner pulley drives the water pump
and alternator. They are 2 separate pulley's sandwiched together and bolt to the harmonic
balancer. There were a number of pulley combinations used as you can see in the AIM.
Factory pulleys are stamped with identification numbers. It's important to know so you get
the correct pulley combination. This can get confusing as there are shallow and deep groove
pulleys. Z28's used the deep grooves. Because you have 3 pulley's the original application
would have been driving another item(s) such as air conditioning or smog pump. See if you
can read the stamped number on the face of your 3 pulley set up. Then go to David's site to
see what combination you have. CRG also has a page on pulley's. Here's a link showing the
interlocking style mount.
1967 1968 Camaro Motor Mount Or Engine Mount Assembly 302 327 350 396 427 454 Made In The USA! - 1967, 1968, 1969 Camaro Parts - NOS, Rare, Reproduction Camaro Parts for your Restoration

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 19, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

So, if I have non locking mounts, I use my existing pulleys, and brace 3905366 (uses motor mount holes/bolts)

If I have locking type mounts, I have to get a power steering pump pulley, part number 3770509, use the Z28 brace 3896900, AND buy an 8 inch balancer?

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 19, 09:34 AM
Senior Tech
Al

The Z28 bracket will work with either style motor mount. If you're going to run an 8" balancer
you need the Z28 setup for clearance but it's not a requirement if you stay with the smaller
balancer. As I said earlier check the pulley numbers you currently have and then check Pozzi's
info for the matching ps pulley. This will verify Steve's pulley number. GM used a number of
variations in pulley's.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 19, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

I finally got a chance to get under the 67 with a shop light to closely examine the motor mounts from the bottom and measure the current balancer. The balancer is less than 8 inches wide, and the motor mounts are not the interlocking type, but rather a solid rubber block style as seen in pozzi's web site pictures. I can't get a clear shot at the part numbers on the pulleys (too lazy right now to remove them), but considering the mounts and balancer I have, its likely the pulleys are correct for using brace 3905366 as in your pictures.

Now to get the correct pump and its pulley! In the AIM, it calls for PS part number 3860457 (V8), and I think this is what I need for a 327

PS part number 3770509 (RPO L48) I believe the L48, and for the 350 Small block option...correct?

I'm ruling out PS part number 3873847 (Z28), as that most likely came with the deep pulley, and I'm not a Z28 anyhow.

Last edited by bucko; Mar 4th, 19 at 01:04 PM.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 19, 05:45 PM
Senior Tech
Al

You are correct. The 3770509 pulley groove is offset for use with the Z28 brackets.
The 3860457 is used with the motor mount style bracket.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/16-br...lp-needed.html
Power Steering Pulley
If you use a mirror and a flash light you should be able to see the stamping #'s on your pulley.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 19, 12:20 AM
Team Member
Mike

Garage
Send a message via AIM to hotrodbaker

I am working on my 67 350 and found the aftermarket motor mounts won't work with the style bracket with 2 bolts to the motor mount. Is this what you guys call the 327 bracket?

I went with the bracket i think my car came with that has only 1 bolt from the motor mount and 2 in front with the cradle bracket. Also you can see the 2 and 1 grove sandwiched crank pulley on the 8" balancer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2111.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	225467   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2112.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	225469   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2113 (1).JPG
Views:	66
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	225471  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2114.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	225473  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode