2Likes
  • 1 Post By Farm Boy
  • 1 Post By bertfam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 19, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Lee

Carb Leak on 68 Camaro 327

I have a 68 Camaro 327 with a Holley 650 CFM double pumper (spread bore design) carburetor.

In the attached pic sometimes their is gas coming out the point as shown with the blue arrow while the engine is running. Some times there is no gas coming out. When I kill the engine the gas ceases to flow. It seems like the longer the engine sits and not being started it will start leaking at the point of the blue arrow. when gas comes out it is barely seeping.

I have overhauled the carb .

Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening without disassembling the carb?

If i have to disassemble the carb what should I do differently or look for to correct this issue.

Thanks a Ton for your help
Lee
Midland, Tex

Last edited by Reggiecamaro1968; Jun 24th, 19 at 03:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 19, 09:55 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Re: Carb Leak on 68 Camaro 327

On some Holley's, the float level adjustment is there, but yours has been plugged off. I've never seen one like yours. Don't know if it was originally made like that or not ? Where is the float adjustment ?

Without taking it apart, some JB Weld should seal it up. Just scuff it with a Scotchbrite pad, clean it off and apply the JB weld.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 19, 03:41 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Looks like that Holley has one fuel feed into it, at the front and out of the picture range. For that carb, you will have to remove the backside bowls 4 screws, and adjust the float from the inside. Those non adjustables are a harder to adjust then the external adjust setup; you have to bend the contact point of the tab (inside) to the needle to make an adjustment. You're looking at getting the float level, or just a "smidgin" less than level. Also, make sure the float itself does not have any fuel inside of it. Remove it and shake it to see if it has fuel inside. If so, replace it without adjusting it, as fuel inside if it will weigh it down.

Never argue with an idiot; they'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Last edited by bucko; Mar 11th, 19 at 03:53 AM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 19, 12:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Here is a YouTube video of a plug repair on a Holley 4165 using JB Weld and a vacuum pump. It's worth a try.
DjD likes this.

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 19, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Lee

Thanks to all and thanks Steve for the video

Lee

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 19, 02:30 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

You have too much pressure going to the carb and it's pushing the needle off the seat and overflowing at the plug (ask me how I know!) The carb you have is a model 6210 (the exact same carb I'm running on my 57 327) and the float adjustment is done inside the float bowl itself.

1. Verify you have the correct float adjustment.
2. Check your fuel pressure. A Holley doesn't need any more than 5 or 6 PSI on a stock engine.

Ed

Ed B. (but you can call me Bert!)
CRG -
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 19, 08:58 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

One of my favorite features of a Holley was the external float adjustment ! Wonder why they changed that ? I have an old 1850 for parts. Has the side hung floats with external adjustment. Almost bet the float bowl assemblies would interchange with the OP's carb ? 1850 is vac. secondary. Doesn't have a rear metering plate.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 19, 02:56 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

If you do find that you have too much fuel pressure going to the carb, be very careful in your selection of a fuel pressure regulator. I bought a Mr Gasket one, that was adjustable by turning the wheel on its top. It was very accurate (had it at 5 lbs). After about a month, I started the Camaro, and noticed a FLOOD of fuel in the manifold runner galleys on the passenger side (the fuel pressure regulator was located about two inches from the carb inlet). The rubber diaphram inside of the regulator split, and fuel drained out from the seal around this regulator. Off it came, and into the trash! I was very lucky the fuel did not make it down to the plugs....kaboom.

I now use an electric fuel pump made by Holley, and it flows 6 lbs, so no need for a fuel regulator.

Never argue with an idiot; they'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 19, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Lee

Thanks Guys on the response about the fuel pressure.
My fuel pump is a stock version, bolted to the side of the engine and is not an electric driven fuel pump.. The Fuel pump I installed was a pump I bought at Orielly's Auto parts for the 68 327 engine.

The crazy thing about this leak, I may start it today and it leaks then later start it and their is no leak, acting almost like there is gunk in the carb. While at the body shop it did set for a month at a time not started. That me part of the problem.
I wonder if I could drain the secondary bowls and put a good dose of highly concentrated fuel injector cleaner in the bowls would that help free up the seat, etc? Guess would be a cheap and easy to try.

Thanks
Lee

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 19, 03:24 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Aftermarket fuel pumps aren't very accurate in regards to their stated specifications. One pump may flow 2 PSI while the next one on the shelf may flow 10 PSI!!! The best thing to do is use a gauge to see what your pump is actually pushing.

Ed

CRG -
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 19, 06:39 PM
Senior Tech
Morgan

Garage

If it is intermittent I would try some good old jb weld

69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 automatic [email protected], 1.95 on f70-14 polyglas F.AS.T. Race June 2016
69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 4spd [email protected] 1.93 60ft on F70/14
PSMCDR 2014
71LS6 vette [email protected] PSMCDR 2012 SOLD
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 19, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Lee

Thanks Everyone, great feedback and help

Lee

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 19, 09:17 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

As my father used to say, "Fix the PROBLEM, not the symptom".

Ed
bucko likes this.

CRG -
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 19, 05:30 PM
Tech Team
Todd

I had one that leaked at the same place. Don't recall what I used to seal it but something in a tube.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Lee

Related to my leaking plug issue, I also wanted to share that even though JB weld says it is fuel resistant it will not stand up against gasoline with ethanol long term. I found this out by calling JB Weld tech. They said that none of their products are resistant to ethanol long term. I suggested they change their packaging to be more correct, ie, "gasoline without ethanol".

I did find a product made in the UK which is called QuikSteel and the tech guy with the company said it is resistant to ethanol long term. Amazon sells it.

Thanks
Lee

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode