PerTronix Flame-Thrower ignition system? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dom

Garage
PerTronix Flame-Thrower ignition system?

Thinking about changing out my current Accel distributor to the PerTronix Flame-Thrower ignition system? I want to have more of a stock appearance i.e. black cap with modern technology. The car runs great so it's not a performance issue therefore I'm a little hesitant about messing with old plumbing just to get the look. Either way at the very least I need to replace the old wires and most likely the plugs. Opinions please. Thank you!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...e001/overview/

1969 Camaro RS, 327ci, TH350 Automatic, Richmond 3:55 12 Bolt Posi, Norwood 11C build date. Recipient of December 2017 Team Camaro ROTM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 03:57 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: PerTronix Flame-Thrower ignition system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Tiger View Post
Thinking about changing out my current Accel distributor to the PerTronix Flame-Thrower ignition system? I want to have more of a stock appearance i.e. black cap with modern technology. The car runs great so it's not a performance issue therefore I'm a little hesitant about messing with old plumbing just to get the look. Either way at the very least I need to replace the old wires and most likely the plugs. Opinions please. Thank you!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...e001/overview/
Hey Dom. I did it on my 69. I love it and would do it again in a heartbeat. The only issue is having to get a full 12 volts to the module. I installed a hidden relay and used the stock coil power wire to trigger it. It's nice to have the built in adjustable rev limiter also.
68Tiger likes this.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 06:12 AM
Tech Team
Bill

Iíve ran the same distributor and coil for the past 4 years and no problems. I also changed the wiring for the system.
68Tiger likes this.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 07:23 AM
Senior Tech

One of the first changes I did when I got the car. The stock white wire going to the + coil should either be cut at the firewall and new wire spliced to it...or run a new (what I did) wire from IGN fuse circuit to + coil. The stock white wire drops voltage to the coil so you want a solid +12v with the Pertronix kit. I just taped the white wire back into the harness in case someone would ever want to restore the car back to points/condenser...although IDK why one would.

Also confirm "gap" spacing for the rotor per instructions...you "may" (I did) need a spacer for the distributor gear which requires you to punch out the roll pin holding the gear on and adding a spacer(s) provided in the kit.

I pulled my distributor and did the swap on the bench. It is a simple swap
68Tiger and 53Crestline like this.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 01:05 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

First thing I did in the '53 Crestline (running 5 years now) and our '68 'vert(running two years).

Mind you I put these kits in the stock distributors. I also did as SoCal805 did above; taped the white wire back and ran a single power wire, and also shimmed the distributor in the Camaro. I probably didn't have to, but I liked the clearance better after I did.

Zero visual cues to their existence under the hood. Look totally stock. They perform as well anything.
Bolts in to everything stock that you already have.

One piece of advice is the get the step-up version of the magneto. Otherwise if you get the low-end one, it'll burn out if you leave the key on. If you get the next step up, like an extra $30 or something, then it has a little micro-dealio in it that will switch it off if you're messing with something and need the key on.

Do it with confidence.

'68 Convertible, #'s Matching, 327/210HP
LeMans Blue - Deluxe Parchment Interior
Power Steering, Powerglide, 10-Bolt, 2.73:1
Norwood car, Build date 03D

'53 Ford Crestline - Hardtop
Raven Black/Sungate Ivory
239 Flathead V-8

Last edited by 53Crestline; Mar 28th, 19 at 01:20 PM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 01:09 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Again, I put these setups in the stock distributors.

I looked up my Pertronix order I placed for the Camaro. Ordered through Summit.

Part #'s are:
PNX-45011(Mfr# 45011) - Flamethrower II coil - Oil filled
PNX-91181(Mfr# 91181) - Igniter II - Distributor Conversion

That's all you need!
The directions are great too. Follow what they say and feel free to ask any questions here.
It'll run great!
68Tiger likes this.

'68 Convertible, #'s Matching, 327/210HP
LeMans Blue - Deluxe Parchment Interior
Power Steering, Powerglide, 10-Bolt, 2.73:1
Norwood car, Build date 03D

'53 Ford Crestline - Hardtop
Raven Black/Sungate Ivory
239 Flathead V-8

Last edited by 53Crestline; Mar 28th, 19 at 01:21 PM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 01:17 PM
Senior Tech

I have the 91181 also. Using a "stock" AC Delco coil....since it was fairly new when I got the car. If it fails I will replace it with the Pretronix coil
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dom

Garage

Thanks for the opinions fellas! Prior to doing anything on my car I try and do a little research here first. If I do not see any past threads/posts on what I'm looking to do I will ask. So far I have gotten great advice! Sounds like it's a worthwhile modification that I am going to pursue. Much appreciated!

1969 Camaro RS, 327ci, TH350 Automatic, Richmond 3:55 12 Bolt Posi, Norwood 11C build date. Recipient of December 2017 Team Camaro ROTM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 06:30 PM
Senior Tech
Morgan

Garage

Buy the igniter 3, and the coil, the rev limiter is a must if you are running it.
HawkX66 and 68Tiger like this.

69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 automatic [email protected], 1.95 on f70-14 polyglas F.AS.T. Race June 2016
69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 4spd [email protected] 1.93 60ft on F70/14
PSMCDR 2014
71LS6 vette [email protected] PSMCDR 2012 SOLD
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 02:34 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

If your wiring is still intact, you should have two wires to the "+" post of the coil. One of those wires is a full 12 volts during engine starter operation (12 volts comes from the starter), and is 0 when the starter is disengaged. The other wire (white), is the lower voltage lead that the coil uses while running. This white wire is a resistance wire; the voltage drops to around 7 or 8 volts, and is done so to assist in preventing the points from pitting. Other car manufacturers use a resister on the firewall to do this.

Instead of cutting the white wire, wrap it up and tuck away in case you ever wanted to go back to stock. Run a wire from the ignition point at the fuse box as stated by SolCal85 mentioned.
68Tiger likes this.

Never argue with an idiot; they'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 08:41 AM
Senior Tech

IMHO a win win for the Pertronix kit....but as noted you need to run a solid +12vdc from IGN fuse to it or cut/splice the stock white wire to the + coil at he firewall. That stock white wire, on my car, was crimped to a spade connector with the yellow (from starter) wire. I just cut the stock white wire off the crimped spade connector and taped it back into the stock wiring harness

I have 2 new through the firewall wiring runs now on my car. One in 1/4" flex conduit from IGN that has 2 wires in it (electric choke & + coil) and now a 2nd one that I drilled a hole and used a grommet for the 3 sender wires for my new gauges (tach, OP & temp). Like adding any new wiring I try and do it as through as possible in routing and keeping it in the flex conduit and marry it into existing wiring harness path/brackets. I buy both blue (flame resistant) and grey (heat resistant) stripe flex conduit online in various sizes as any auto part store just has the cheap plastic crap that melts very easily anywhere in a engine compartment. Generally it is around $12 for 100' so very inexpensive. With 5 cars I find uses on several wiring needs so go through the flex conduit like tape.
68Tiger likes this.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 19, 07:44 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Garage

I have used the Crane Cams electronic system and it works well.

1968 Convertible
327 stock
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 02:19 PM
Senior Tech
Rufas

I like them. When I get them in to work on, all are dead players, and I remove them to build a much better system. I have never received one that actually worked, they come to me previously blown up. I remove quite a few per year.

Crane is no longer Crane, it is now owned by FAST, whom are owned by Competition Cams.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 06:02 PM
Senior Tech
Morgan

Garage

Dave always dogs the pertronix units,pushing his own units, except when you need one right away he tells you a month if you are worthy. I tried to buy one from him, but he was too busy for my needs. Call summit or amazon and itís there in 2 days. I have never had a pertronix 3 unit go bad in 20 years, always use their coils

69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 automatic [email protected], 1.95 on f70-14 polyglas F.AS.T. Race June 2016
69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 4spd [email protected] 1.93 60ft on F70/14
PSMCDR 2014
71LS6 vette [email protected] PSMCDR 2012 SOLD
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 05:23 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave ray View Post
I like them. When I get them in to work on, all are dead players, and I remove them to build a much better system. I have never received one that actually worked, they come to me previously blown up. I remove quite a few per year.

Crane is no longer Crane, it is now owned by FAST, whom are owned by Competition Cams.
What a load of crap. The systems work. Period. I'd reason to bet if you're replacing any units it's due to a faulty install.
Lost in the 60's and 68Tiger like this.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode