Engine General Engine Discussion.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By SoCal805

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Vacuum on 383 stroker

I do not know any of the specs on my 383 stroker in my Camaro with a 3 speed automatic but, would anyone venture a guess as what vacuum range it is pulling. I do know it has a Holley and believe it is a 600 com. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 03:00 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

Re: Vacuum on 383 stroker

that will depend on a lot of things. such as , but not limited to : cam size, carburetor tune, leaks etc
with the cam I got and idle @1000, I have 11.5" of vacuum with a canister
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As Kevin suggests, a lot of items can affect the amount of vacuum the engine creates.
Every toolbox should have a vacuum gauge - they are cheap. I've bought mine for $2 and best tuning tool.
The longer the valves stay open, the less vacuum created. A stock engine generally indicates 18"-21" at idle, increase RPM, might get up to 25".
More duration - longer valves stay open, less vacuum and also dependent upon LSA (Lobe Separation Angle) between lobe centerlines of intake & exhaust lobes on the same cylinder - wider 116 degrees and higher, 18"-21", 108 degrees and smaller, maybe 3"-5" at idle, but then longer duration and shorter LSA means cam desired for higher RPM, not idle.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 08:15 AM
Senior Tech

as mentioned, a vacuum gage is a must have in your tool box. Harbor Freight has them cheap. Use a port off the manifold to attach it. You can use carburetor but better to use port off of intake manifold like the one that goes to brake booster
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I have no cam specs for the Camshaft, such as a tag, or sheet. Other than a engine build sheet (3) pages that says it is a special grind which may mean anything. I believe my vacuum advance is disconnected which leads me to wonder, Does it have a high lift enough cam to have low vacuum.

Flat tire says he has 11.5 with a canister. Meaning if his car didnít have the canister the vacuum I assume would be really low? Low vacuum affects the power brakes and vacuum advance to the distributor correct? Will low vacuum affect the power brakes a great deal? What are the symptoms with low vacuum to the power brakes? Would the brake pedal feel be spongy or hard? If I added a vacuum canister where would I get my feed vacuum from. Manifold? Front or rear of manifold or from the carburetor and where would it feed from off the carb.?

I am assuming Flat tire added a vacuum canister to help with the low vacuum. Is this thenormal thing to do to help with the brakes?

Why do people block off or disconnect the advance at the distributor? Is the timing advanced a lot at idle to compensate for the advance not working? Wouldnít this make a car a little hard to start but yet be ok for driving. Please educate me on this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 10:39 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rls8836 View Post
Flat tire says he has 11.5 with a canister. Meaning if his car didnít have the canister the vacuum I assume would be really low? Low vacuum affects the power brakes and vacuum advance to the distributor correct? Will low vacuum affect the power brakes a great deal? What are the symptoms with low vacuum to the power brakes? Would the brake pedal feel be spongy or hard? If I added a vacuum canister where would I get my feed vacuum from. Manifold? Front or rear of manifold or from the carburetor and where would it feed from off the carb.?

I am assuming Flat tire added a vacuum canister to help with the low vacuum. Is this thenormal thing to do to help with the brakes?

Why do people block off or disconnect the advance at the distributor? Is the timing advanced a lot at idle to compensate for the advance not working? Wouldnít this make a car a little hard to start but yet be ok for driving. Please educate me on this.
Many with aggressive cams have a Vacuum canister so there is ample vacuum for the power brake booster to work properly. Low vacuum otherwise would render the brakes much harder to push as there is no "vacuum assist"

You want to tap into intake manifold vacuum either from a port behind carb on intake (one that feeds brake booster and often auto trans vac module) or the rear port of the carb itself.

If your brakes are working good you should have decent vacuum. A quick check with a gage would tell you what it is. Vacuum gauges are very handy in diagnosing several engine conditions. There is usually a sheet with gauge showing several examples of its use and meanings of what the needle on the gauge is showing.

Your vacuum advance to distributor is likely blocked off because you are set for "total", aka centrifugal, timing vs timing at idle then the timing advances when rpm increase with vacuum hooked up. I have mine set for total timing of 35 degrees at 2700 rpm. It is about 14-16 at idle

distributors using vacuum advance are often set up anywhere between 6-16 degrees of timing at idle (generally on the low side). The distributor vacuum advance generally nets a additional 14-16 degrees so if your idle timing was say 8 degrees and vacuum advance would only add another 14-16 then your "total" timing would be 22-24....you are leaving HP on the table as most SBC 4 barrel motors are happy with about 35 degrees of timing

To set total timing you block off vacuum to distributor (some use a BB in the vac line so it "looks" stock with a vac line attached on a stock distributor). You then (with car completely warmed up) hold rpm 2500-3000 RPM and with a timing light set advance to 35. The timing will drop to about 14-16 at idle but will get all the way to 35 by 2500-3000 rpm

Timing light, vac gauge, tach are all needed to "tune" your car and knowing how to use them is mandatory. As you set timing you often need to adjust idle and idle mixture initially on a new carb/motor as one affects the other. Many timing lights come with a rpm function and also a way to set it at a particular advance so with that advance being say 35 your timing mark on the damper and your timing pointer on block would be at zero as the timing light is pre-set to whatever # you want. That function is helpful for those who do not have timing mark tape (shows full spread of degrees) on their damper or aftermarket ones with the timing marks etched in. Generally -10 to +50
Everett#2390 likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

SOCAL185 thanks for you experience
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 19, 03:30 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

PM sent
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 19, 04:27 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I would guess 8-12" hg.

Like said above, get a gauge, and anything can/will effect vacuum....compression, ring gap/tension/wear, even 1* on timing can make a change, tune....a lot goes into it.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 19, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Thanks for all the replies men
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode