Engine General Engine Discussion.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vega

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 19, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Steve

Fan Shroud Question

I have a 1968 Camaro with a 305 engine that was put in about 4" forward of where it should be. As a result the alternator is so close to the fan shroud that the prior owner had to carve out a small section so that it would not rub. I've resigned myself to this engine for now but I want to replace the shroud. The current one is I believe the '67/'68 small block (21") for non-air conditioning cars. I tried to add a picture that shows its about 7.5" deep at the top.

My question is does the '67/68 shroud for cars with a/c have less depth? Or is there another option to get a shroud with less depth on top that will fit a 21" radiator?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan Shroud.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	226773  

Last edited by 1968camaro{; May 1st, 19 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Add Picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 1st, 19, 04:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Beth

Re: Fan Shroud Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968camaro{ View Post
I have a 1968 Camaro with a 305 engine that was put in about 4" forward of where it should be. As a result the alternator is so close to the fan shroud that the prior owner had to carve out a small section so that it would not rub. I've resigned myself to this engine for now but I want to replace the shroud. The current one is I believe the '67/'68 small block (21") for non-air conditioning cars. I tried to add a picture that shows its about 7.5" deep at the top.

My question is does the '67/68 shroud for cars with a/c have less depth? Or is there another option to get a shroud with less depth on top that will fit a 21" radiator?

Thanks.
There are only two shrouds; one for smallblocks and one for big blocks. The big block shroud fits the bigger radiator and is offset toward the passenger side.

68 Camaro convertible, 6.0 LQ4 with LS3 heads, Vintage Air, 750 street demon carb, eddy perf rpm, GM hot cam, Hooker headers, 4L80e, 12 bolt, 3.55 gears
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 1st, 19, 05:15 AM
John

Garage

I would be extremely difficult to move the engine and transmission 4 forward. Frame stands, crossmember, longer driveshaft just to start.

Without a picture its hard to tell whats going on is the distributor really 6 from the firewall?
dhutton likes this.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 1st, 19, 07:17 AM
R66
Senior Tech
Ron

I am thinking you may have the long water pump used on the 69 and up small blocks. Does your alternator mount to the head above the water pump or on the left (driver's side) mounted to the exhaust manifold. You can look in my garage for the location of the alternator on a 68 SB. Although the difference between the long and short pumps is not 4 inches, the relocation of the alternator does move the alternator and belts at least 4" forward and could interfere with the 67-68 shroud if mounted in the 69 location.

Maybe guys with 69s can post pictures of what I am saying and also give you a depth on the fan shroud.

My 68 shroud is 6" deep. I don't have a 69 shroud to get you a measurement. If your shroud is 7.5 inches deep, I question if it is the right shroud, but also, if you have the correct alternator mounting, there is no way it could touch the shroud.

I'll wait for those that claim the long pump was used on 67-68 as well as 69. I don't believe it was. Unleash the dogs.

Ron
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 1st, 19, 07:18 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleCat View Post
There are only two shrouds; one for smallblocks and one for big blocks. The big block shroud fits the bigger radiator and is offset toward the passenger side.
Actually there were 3 fan shrouds. The 3rd one is for 327 with AC shroud. It is centered opening as the 327 is set center where the BB was offset to the PS to clear steering box so that fan opening is about 1" towards passenger side

This is the 327 AC shroud for the 23" radiator (what I have)

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/oer-3893814

But in the OP's case with engine mounted 4" forward any of the 2 SBC shrouds would need trimming. Since he has a 21" radiator shroud....the 327 with AC one is also about 7 1/2" deep

The standard 21" shroud could be cut down all the way around so the fan blade is 1/2 in/out of the newer cut down opening. You could also likely run a 18" fan blade as the new opening would be wider when you cut down a stock 21" shroud

Another alternate would be to buy a generic shroud (4") and use those through the radiator plastic hold downs. Typically Summit, JEGS, etc has them in various sizes. They are made of metal

Op what transmission do you have, do you have a 700R4 transplant? (IDK why someone would mount a 305 4" further forward unless a 700R4 was installed and instead of adjusting x member and DS....they shoved the motor mounts forward. Just guessing. )
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 1st, 19, 07:29 AM
R66
Senior Tech
Ron

Shroud looks right (measures the same as mine except my measurement was 6" from the radiator core).
Your problem is the alternator location is for 69 and up. Either buy a 69 shroud, or move the alternator to 67-68 location.
What year is your '305'?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 1st, 19, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Steve

Yes - it has a 700R trans and the engine is from an '86 Camaro and was installed in 1987. They welded in some sort of modified motor mounts. So thats what I have to work with for now.

Regarding the shroud - if the correct '68 is only 6" deep then that will work.

If anyone can measure their '69, I wonder if that would provide more clearance and still fit?

Thanks for all the help.

Steve

Last edited by 1968camaro{; May 1st, 19 at 12:28 PM. Reason: correction
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 1st, 19, 04:48 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968camaro{ View Post
Yes - it has a 700R trans and the engine is from an '86 Camaro and was installed in 1987. They welded in some sort of modified motor mounts. So thats what I have to work with for now.

Steve
the 700R4 is about 3 1/2" longer than a TH350 assuming that is what the car originally had. Sounds like instead of getting the bolt in 700R4 x member for a gen 1 they just used the stock x member which would have pushed the motor forward about 4" as you noted

I have a 67 so can't confirm what a 68 shroud depth is.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 1st, 19, 05:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Quote:
Frame stands, crossmember, longer driveshaft just to start.
Wouldn't shoving it 4" forward push the oil pan into the center link. Sounds like something else is going on. I would like to see a picture.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 19, 02:16 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Red face Re: Fan Shroud Question

It sounds like your non-stock accessories are to far forward. The stock 69 shroud is 6" Deep. Your alternator fan blades should be 2" away from the shroud. The front of the passenger side head is approx. 8 1/4-8 3/8" to the shroud.

[URL=https://s263.photobucket.com/user/tjs69_photos/media/DSC01114_zpstvev7pvo.jpg.html][/UR

[URL=https://s263.photobucket.com/user/tjs69_photos/media/DSC01113b_zpsukcgnv5e.jpg.html][/URL

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

Last edited by TJS69; May 3rd, 19 at 03:09 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old May 4th, 19, 09:36 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Red face Re: Fan Shroud Question

The 1986 Camaro's had the alternator etc. farther forward than the 1969's. I don't believe the engine is mounted too far forward. If you want to make it original all your brackets will need to be changed and probably the alternator and other stuff too. If it all works, you can leave it as is.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode