'69 Z Oil Pan and Windage Tray ?? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Paul

Garage
'69 Z Oil Pan and Windage Tray ??

This car has had a chronic oil leak at rear of pan. I dropped the pan to discover the windage tray differs from what I've seen on SBCs at that time plus it doesn't match MacNeish's pictured curved edge windage tray.

Please take a look and comment: the tray has a stamping pattern I've not seen before and is flat, not curved.

The pan itself appears to be original. It's definitely seen some wear.

The left rear corner of the pan is cracked at the horizontal surface and is not parallel to the rails. I can weld that up and straighten the corner if the pan is indeed original, but that doesn't answer the question of the flat windage tray.

I'm ready to pull the trigger to order a replacement pan, windage tray and pickup (PO did not weld pickup to pump body) if this pan and tray are not original and would greatly appreciate any input. Additionally, any recommendations on a replacement pan gasket would be greatly appreciated. As pictured I have the Fel Pro dry one-piece which I've used almost exclusively on my SBC engines for decades. Cleaning the timing cover seal is not going to be easy with the engine in the car.

To remove the pan I did the following: drop idler arm from frame; loosen exhaust at manifolds; loosen trans mount bolts at trans; drain radiator and remove lower radiator hose from radiator; loosen shroud; remove distributor cap; drain oil; remove starter; remove bellhousing dust cover; remove through bolts on both mounts; jack up engine with 2X6 on floor jack at RH exhaust manifold....drop pan. The PO had installed the engine to frame mount through-bolts front to back, so I had to loosen the fuel pump to remove RH bolt.

paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: '69 Z Oil Pan and Windage Tray ??

I believe the OE GM windage tray went between the oil pump and cap and was flat.
I also believe wrong oil pan as front of sump is kicked out alittle bit and full oil capacity is six qts.
Yes, pass side mount bolt goes in from the rear.
Good luck in your endeavor.
Others here more knowledgeable, may be able in helping decipher the oil pan and tray.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 03:14 PM
Senior Tech

I have always used the FelPro one piece pan gasket but used RTV (Permatex black ultra) on the front/rear curved part and about 1" up onto the flat area

Can't comment on the windage tray although I doubt it has anything to do with your leak. The crack you note and uneven corner are likely the reason so fix that, or replace pan, and use some RTV

Like any RTV, let it set (cure) for 24 hrs before starting motor

If your RMS is 2 piece, "offsetting" the 2 half's so they don't fall where the cap/block meet helps seal better IMHO

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 04:43 PM
Senior Tech
bob

Follow the directions with the bottom pan. I believe they sent you RTV to use in the corners (tells you in the directions); and make sure you torque it to spec.

If you decide to replace the tray on the block and the bottom pan, I've had good luck so far with the Champ oil pan CP60LT....
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 04:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Looks like your pan is assembly line correct. Very hard to come by, so if it is repairalble, fix it.

Windage tray is not original. You can probably find one for $50 or so. May even be some NOS ones floating around.

Don't by and "NOS" pan that is one of the later over the counter units. Thoses pans are plentiful, and are really only worth about $200, but unwitting buyers will pay $600 or so for one.

Study this thread. https://www.camaros.net/forums/34-re...-oil-pans.html

Lynn
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 07:38 PM
Senior Tech
Simon

Garage

The windage tray shown was used on mostly Corvettes, the curved sided tray was the one used for Z-28 & LT-1's.
Here's a link for reference.
https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...nd-accessories
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode