Engine General Engine Discussion.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By racinrod67

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old May 24th, 19, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Need Advice On Bringing My Motor Out Of Hibernation

My 350 has been sitting for a little over two years now and I need some advice before firing it up. This wasn't my plan or I would have prepared it better, but sometimes life gets in the way of things. The only thing I did was put fuel stabilizer in the tank the last time I drove it. This was a freshly built motor several years ago which used to see regular use, it has never sat this long.

At a minimum I am planning to pull the plugs and squirt either motor oil or Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders, let it soak for few days and rotate the crank by hand. Which is the better oil to use and how much per cylinder?

Should I also plan to pull the distributor and prime the oiling system or is this overkill? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 06:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Re: Need Advice On Bringing My Motor Out Of Hibernation

IMO, do your mentioned minimum steps and anything over that is overkill.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 07:43 AM
Senior Tech

after a squirt of oil in spark plug holes, just pull coil wire and turn over with key until you have oil pressure. Plug in coil and start motor

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal805 View Post
after a squirt of oil in spark plug holes, just pull coil wire and turn over with key until you have oil pressure. Plug in coil and start motor
Which would be the better one to use, Marvel or motor oil?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 09:45 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinrod67 View Post
Which would be the better one to use, Marvel or motor oil?
I just use oil. Nothing wrong with the Marvel....but if this was a working motor that just has been garaged and not run in a few years I would drain/replace oil (it could have accumulated some moisture) and filter. Then just squirt some oil in plug hole, leave plugs out, pull coil wire, crank motor for just a few quick revolutions, then crank until OP is shown (if not already). Put plugs back, plug in coil and fire the motor up. Monitor OP and temp until motor reached full operating temp and then go for a drive.

One note is watch temp gauge. If it quickly rises...and continues to rise past normal than the T stat could be stuck from sitting. Not likely but it could happen so just monitor your gauges after initial start up
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 10:43 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Exclamation Re: Need Advice On Bringing My Motor Out Of Hibernation

I agree regular motor oil. You are not worried about the conditions of the pistons, rods etc that someone reviving a 100k mileage engine out in the field might have and would want to use a little magic potion to help the process along. Nothing wrong with using it mind you, if it makes you feel better IMHO.

I like the oil change, and filter replacement thoughts. Its one of my steps.

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 04:15 PM
Senior Tech
bob

Once you get a bit of oil pressure, I tend to increase the engine to 2000-2500, same as the breaking in a cam erpm. This will ensure you get a decent amount of oil flow & pressure to all areas of the engine.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 05:51 PM
John

Garage

X2 to all above.

I would probably drain tank and add fresh fuel.

We just started a BBC in a boat that hadnít run in 20 years. Disconnected the fuel line a ran in to can of fuel. Hit the key and it fired and ran great. OP was up immediately

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 07:20 AM
Probationer
Niko

Hope it went well, but if you haven't made the attempt to start yet...

Depending on induction system... I usually rebuild my Holley if it sits unused that long, as it gums up and leaks and overflows etc.
My 68 RS with a 350 sat (unintended) for 9.5 years in my garage before I rolled it out to start it. I did the following:

1. Oil/filter change
2. Checked coolant, but didn't change it until after I had it running good
3. Rebuilt my Holley 3310-1
4. Pulled plugs and sprayed some oil down each cylinder
5. Marked position and pulled distributor, ran the oil primer on a drill, ensuring oil got up to the valvetrain
6. Replaced distributor
7. Spun motor over using starter until oil press built up
8. Installed new plugs
9. Fresh gas in tank
10. Connected a small bottle of gas directly to the carb inlet line to fill the bowls, and allow it run for a minute or 2 on the bottle supply hanging from the hood latch
11. Diverted the fuel line from mechanical pump into another container to observe when the entire fuel system was primed and flowing clean. (It was really nasty for about the first minute that the engine ran and pumped fuel.)
12. Cranked it up and once running ok like that, then shut down, reconnected fuel line to carb inlet with new fuel filters

This was on a 350 which was rebuilt around 1980, and prob only has about 30k-40k over the years. Car sat unused for 9.5 years until about 5 years ago.

68 RS, PS, PB, AC - 2nd Owner
350/TH350
Hotchkis 3" Drop Springs/Leafs w/Bilsteins
IROC XH Steering Box
CPP Tubular A-Arms
Wilwood D52 Front Brakes
Yukon DuraGrip 3.73's
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 07:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Have a fire extinguisher standing by. watch for fuel leaks. If you still have a heat riser on your exhaust system make sure it isn't rusted shut.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 02:18 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
X2 to all above.

I would probably drain tank and add fresh fuel.

We just started a BBC in a boat that hadnít run in 20 years. Disconnected the fuel line a ran in to can of fuel. Hit the key and it fired and ran great. OP was up immediately
I like this too. Even with fuel stabilizer, two years is a long time for that fuel to be sittling.

My only other concern would be the main jets in the carb (if it still has a carb). The fuel may have gummed up in the bowls, and the jets may be plugged. You'll know this if you have to dump fuel down the carb to get it to start/run.

Never argue with an idiot; they'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 19, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Thanks for all the advice, disconnected the coil wire, pulled the plugs, squirted oil in the cylinders, rotated two full revolutions then spun it up a few more until I got oil pressure, by this time fuel was already filling the filter. Primed the carb and she fired right up........no issues.

This was just to pull it out of the garage and get the car turned around to start working on the rear suspension. Before it gets back on the road I will be draining the coolant as I plan to replace the radiator and all the hoses. The oil will be changed also as I plan to pull the pan and replace the rear main seal.
69-Pace likes this.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 19, 06:53 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

did the same with a Camaro sitting 35 years fired up no smoke , amazing !!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode