2Likes
  • 1 Post By flat tire
  • 1 Post By BillK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old May 26th, 19, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Question Milodon oil pan gasket

Milodon claims that because of their design, you need to use their gasket for oil pans. Specific. True? or not? My engine builder put my Milodon BB oil pan on the 427, but he used a 1 piece gasket from someone else. Am I looking at future leakage? Or is it just bull****.

67 RS 327, 4-speed, posi, done.
67 Modified, 454, TH-400, posi, under construction.
67 SS 396, 4-speed, basket case.
72 RS, sitting, partially done.
55 210 post, 2 door, 327 4-speed runs good.
55 2 door post, gasser project
69 Cadillac ElDorado
69 4x4 suburban
59 ElCamino

Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing thru the leather straps"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old May 26th, 19, 12:07 PM
Senior Tech
kevin

Re: Milodon oil pan gasket

if you have started and run it and it is not leaking now, I wouldn't worry about it
bhodgdon400 likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old May 26th, 19, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat tire View Post
if you have started and run it and it is not leaking now, I wouldn't worry about it
No, the motor is not in the car yet. Issue needs to be addressed BEFORE the motor goes in. If it was in the car not leaking, I wouldn't be posting anything about it. Right? LOL

69 Cadillac ElDorado
69 4x4 suburban
59 ElCamino

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old May 27th, 19, 07:39 AM
Senior Tech

IDK about the Miloden specific pan gasket but if the maker says theirs is specific to their pan than use it....especially since the motor is still out of the car

If your pan gasket is blue it is a FelPro...which is all I ever use but I don't use a Miloden pan

Maybe someone who does have a BB with a Miloden pan can comment on what their motor has

Beyond the gasket itself I always use RTV (Permatex Black Ultra) on pan gaskets on the front & rear curved parts running about 1" onto where the block is flat
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old May 27th, 19, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage

Yeah, it's a blue felpro. That's what I was hoping, someone who has been there before. I don't always trust marketing strategies for consumers. Like, "you have to use OUR product for it to work correctly". Sometimes it's bull****. Sometimes it's not. And all of the web surfing I've done to try and find an answer, I haven't seen anything that suggests using ONLY their gasket, except them, milodon.
After seeing that the engine builder didn't pay attention to the rocker arm situation, "different post", the pan gasket situation could've easily slipped by him as well, IMO.
Just trying to cross all the T's and dot all the I's before bolting it in.
To clear it up even better, I never ordered this pan. It came in a pile of parts I bought from a guy that I know. 3 big block pans, a tunnel ram, a re-built M-20 muncie 4-speed, and a set of 6 lug slotted mags 10x15's, for the hefty price of $400. No, the stuff wasn't stolen, he's old and getting out, and it was 10 years ago. SO, it is brand new, never bolted on before.
Engine builder wasn't going to do any of the tin work initially, then at the last minute called for the timing cover, because of the cam button he had to figure out, and the pan. I did a quick comparison of the pan to the one in the car and it looked very close at the front for clearing the sub-frame. But still hard to tell for sure. He and his boys did have a 69 camaro, maybe that pan was for that car at some point. So I gave it to the wife to run it up there while I was at work. Part #30710, should fit first gens.
Looking up that part # and identifying the pan is where I ran across the "our pans designed to work with our gaskets only" statement. Well, that's kinda a red flag.
But if the felpro gasket WILL work fine, then I saved some time and money.
Had I ordered this pan myself, I would've ordered everything related to it out the gate.
But, that's not how it happened. LOL
That's my story and I'm sticking to it. LOL

69 Cadillac ElDorado
69 4x4 suburban
59 ElCamino

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old May 27th, 19, 09:53 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

my theory is , if the pan fits the block then use any quality gasket for the block . it will seal!
don't over think it
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old May 27th, 19, 10:28 AM
Senior Tech

Stevo

All I was able to read about the Miloden pan gasket requirements is to use a "crush proof" gasket...which the blue Felpro is. (has steel sleeves in the holes)

I am sure Miloden wants to keep the "post purchase bitching" calls to a minimum and just put the "disclaimer" to use their gasket as they 1. know it will work 2. they make more $ selling another part 3. they don't know if the purchaser is using a non crush resistant gasket

Bottom line is the pan needs to marry to the engine block so the mating surface of the pan needs to be exactly the same size...so any gasket for the engine application will work in terms of fitment.

I never hear stories about stock pans leaking unless the pan is damaged and the rails are dimpled. I do though always use RTV on the corners and curved part even though FelPro and others say not needed....they are not the ones who have to drop a pan from a motor that is in the car

If there are no signs of RTV on your install "I" would pop the pan and apply RTV between gasket & pan for the insurance in the area I noted. For me I have never had a pan leak as a result of this practice but I have never used anything other than a stock pan on SBC & SBF
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 07:36 AM
Bill

Would it be ridiculous to think that a call to Milodon might answer the question ?
rp930 likes this.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 08:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ben

Garage

I call BS. i have a milodon pan on a SBC with the felpro blue gasket. i bought a milodon gasket and was very unimpressed with the feel of the material. it came in a little box all folded up and seemed very flimsy compared to the felpro. the milodon gasket only had metal washers embedded around the bolt holes where i believe the felpro has a steel shim molded into the rubber all the way around
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 08:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Stevo, proceed with caution with the Felpro blue gasket. My personal experience with the blue one piece gasket was not good. A few months after the gasket was installed on my motor, it began to disintegrate and fall apart. I started to notice little blue pieces of gasket material in my oil when I was changing my oil. When I finally changed it, it came out in pieces. I replaced it with a Moroso one piece gasket, which has been trouble free. This is my personal experience with the Felpro Blue gaskets. I will never install another one again. I did a google search of the issue with these gaskets falling apart, and my experience is not an isolated incident. It is easy to change now while the motor is out. It is a complete headache to try to do it with the engine in the car. I speak from experience. Just my 2 cents.

1969 SS Garnet Red X55 350 Factory 4 speed
12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 09:09 AM
Senior Tech

Wow Matt, sucks you had issues with the FelPro blue....not my experience and I have used the blue ones on several SBC including the 327 & LT1 I have now. Never any kind of breakdown for me and not a leak. These gaskets are reusable.

But like everything else someone has had issues with them and for me none so YMMV
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 19, 03:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

I just called Milodon about this yesterday and Well, Here you all go - I had the same issues with a blue fel-pro with the crush rings leaking with my milodon pan on my 572.
First thing the rep asked when I said it was leaking was if I used the blue Fel-pro gasket - they do not recommend them as they are thicker in the front and rear around the crank causing it to slip or blow out. The recommended Milodon part # for a Mark IV is #41011. He said you do not have to use their gaskets, but stay away from the Fel-pro 1 piece. He also mentioned that in addition to the "dab" of Ultra Black RTV in all 4 corners to put an additional pencil line on the pan side in the front and rear when it hugs the crank - this will seal the gasket to the pan and stop chances of the gasket slipping of blowing out where the gasket is thicker and no bolts to hold it in place.

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 19, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Would it be ridiculous to think that a call to Milodon might answer the question ?
Well bill, I kinda thought that generating a discussion on the site about it might help others in the future doing a search on the topic. And re-connecting with fellow members at the same time. I've been reading your posts for years and know that you have alot of knowledge to give. In fact, I don't think I've ever read a post of yours that was wrong about motors.
And, the location that I'm working in these canyons, from 5:30 am to 6:00pm, has very limited cell service, not working most of the time.
I appreciate everyones feedback, it has helped me make a decision.

69 Cadillac ElDorado
69 4x4 suburban
59 ElCamino

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode