ZZ4 crate engine - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old May 27th, 19, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Probationer

ZZ4 crate engine

My grandson just got his tax return last week and he is looking at buying a ZZ4 crate engine.We are looking for some feedback on this engine before he makes a purchase..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old May 27th, 19, 07:47 PM
John

Garage
Re: ZZ4 crate engine

I donít believe this engine is still available.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old May 27th, 19, 10:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Beth

Look at Blueprint engines :

https://blueprintengines.com/collect...-crate-engines

68 Camaro convertible, 6.0 LQ4 with LS3 heads, Vintage Air, 750 street demon carb, eddy perf rpm, GM hot cam, Hooker headers, 4L80e, 12 bolt, 3.55 gears

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 07:12 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

The ZZ4 was a marketing ploy (they gave you a ball cap with your serial number on it, not available for any other engine offered). It is no better or worse than any of GMPP's crate engines. More bang for the buck is to buy a turn key claimer engine built for circle track racing. Basically a 350 horse 350 but without the factory warranty.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Chevr...caAnV9EALw_wcB

Big Dave
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 09:37 AM
John

Garage

I believe the serial # thing was for the aluminum 427s. Didnít think they did it for the ZZ4

69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
I donít believe this engine is still available.

You're right about this engine not being available any more. The engine he is looking at is a used ZZ4 with 19k miles. It belongs to one of his friends dad who is going Ls in his car. He is only asking $800 for it. He has all of the original paperwork etc from GM when he bought it. This would work out good for him as it would leave him money from his refund to do other work on the car.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 10:29 AM
Senior Tech
Al

How complete is it? Because it has known history and if you can trust the friends father I think
$800 is a steal. Now if it isn't complete things like carb, intake, pulley's, etc. will add up fast.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Probationer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanjs View Post
How complete is it? Because it has known history and if you can trust the friends father I think
$800 is a steal. Now if it isn't complete things like carb, intake, pulley's, etc. will add up fast.

I went and looked at the engine this afternoon and went for a ride in the car. He says it will be a complete unit as the Ls he is getting is a complete unit. His son and my grandson have been best friends since kindergarten. They are both juniors in high school now. He doesn't want it just sitting around once he pulls it. He is an all out gearhead and does volunteer work on cars for people. He was at one time a shop teacher at the local high school.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 04:44 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by one quick69 View Post
I went and looked at the engine this afternoon and went for a ride in the car. He says it will be a complete unit as the Ls he is getting is a complete unit. His son and my grandson have been best friends since kindergarten. They are both juniors in high school now. He doesn't want it just sitting around once he pulls it. He is an all out gearhead and does volunteer work on cars for people. He was at one time a shop teacher at the local high school.
That's a Steal. Go for it before he changes his mind.

I get 2500-3000 for complete SBC low mileage engines when I pull them for LS swaps

69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 05:05 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Jump on it.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Probationer

We went over and paid for the engine tonight. He will pull the engine this weekend. He said if it was anybody but his sons best friend he would have been asking $2000-2500 for it. My grandson was so excited he was shaking when he handed over the money. It just goes to show there are good people out there who don't believe money is everything. His next major project will be getting an overdrive transmission.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old May 29th, 19, 03:00 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Won't that engine need a wiring harness and ECM to manage its fuel/air, or am I totally off because its a carburator equipped crate engine?

Never argue with an idiot; they'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old May 29th, 19, 05:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Won't that engine need a wiring harness and ECM to manage its fuel/air, or am I totally off because its a carburator equipped crate engine?

No ECM, it's a carb equipped engine.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old May 29th, 19, 10:18 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by one quick69 View Post
We went over and paid for the engine tonight. He will pull the engine this weekend. He said if it was anybody but his sons best friend he would have been asking $2000-2500 for it. My grandson was so excited he was shaking when he handed over the money. It just goes to show there are good people out there who don't believe money is everything. His next major project will be getting an overdrive transmission.
That's what I call paying it forward. Some day your grandson will get a chance to do the same
for someone. He'll remember this experience for ever. Check with some local transmission
rebuilders for a tranny. No need to spend thousands from a big name vendor. You may be able to
find a low mileage tranny in a junk yard.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old May 29th, 19, 10:47 AM
Senior Tech
Rufas

This ISN'T an ad, but, when you get that engine, send me an email listed below, and get the vacuum advance modifications packet, it was designed on those engines, fixes the GMPP setup that doesn't work, and the info packet is full-on FREE, no strings.

Simple changes, not expensive, and, you do it yourself.

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode