• 1 Post By R66
  • 1 Post By Larger Dave
  • 1 Post By ilikeike

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 29th, 19, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeremy

Engine stuck...

I have a #'s matching 67 RS/SS Convertible - 77k on the odometer - it hasn't been registered since the 70s and has been sitting outside up on wheels since the late 70s early 80s. The engine doesn't want to turn over - and I've been told to put a little diesel fuel down into the cylinders and let it sit for a bit before trying to hand crank the engine over again. Is this a good idea, or a bad idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 29th, 19, 05:21 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Re: Engine stuck...

I would pull the engine and disassemble it. You may cause damage trying to turn it over as is, at least that's what I would do.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 29th, 19, 06:01 AM
Bill

If you cant get it to turn over by hand you really need to pull it and take it apart like Ed said. Diesel oil or penetrating lube might loosen it up some but there is probably rust in the cylinders and if you try to start it you will do a lot more damage than what you already have.
jammin002 likes this.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 29th, 19, 06:10 AM
R66
Senior Tech
Ron

If you are using only a breaker bar or the starter, I think you shouldn't cause damage, but there is always a possibility you will.
I would use diesel fuel, Marvel mystery oil of some other lubricant in each cylinder as the rings have set for years and may be rusted to the cylinder walls. Blow excess lubricant out the of pistons prior to trying to start the engine by rolling it over without the plugs. I would also prime the oil system to assure oil to the crankshaft before trying to roll it over.
Also the valves may be rusted to the seats and the springs have obtained a set.
Bottom line is you are always better off tearing a 'stuck' engine down, as you may find a mouse nest in one cylinder and / or many other things that can damage the engine if you try to start it.

Good luck.
jammin002 likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 29th, 19, 07:00 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Rings not only rust into the cast iron cylinder wall preventing movement with out scoring the cylinders, they chemically weld to the aluminum piston making them useless to seal it again.

Trying to force the engine over with a breaker bar will just shear off the bolt in the front of the crank (at the very least seriously over torquing it requiring replacement). Turn it from the fly wheel end with a tool designed to rotate an engine. If it won't move it is seized by definition, and as such, it has to come apart for a full rebuild.

Big Dave
allanjs likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 29th, 19, 08:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Why not get a cheap borescope and ipad and take a look down each cylinder through the spark plug hole? Gather lots of data, break nothing.

Drain the oil, see if there's water in there...

If this car is intact there is no way I would start pulling it apart unless I already earmarked some major dollars for engine rebuild and resto.

What's your goal? Get it running? Resto? prep for sale?

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 29th, 19, 08:40 AM
Senior Tech
Travis

I suppose it depends on what you want to do with it in the long run. If you just want to get it running/driving and eventually swap a crate engine into it then you really don't have much to lose....pull the plugs and squirt a good dose of penetrating oil into each cyl. If you can get it to break free and rotate then you may as well try to get it running again. Once running change the oil and do a compression check. If compression is ok then just drive it.

If on the other hand the numbers matching block is important to you and you want to have it rebuilt then I'd say forget about trying to get it running. I'd pull it and disassemble and have a machine shop tell you if it can be saved.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 29th, 19, 10:30 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Pull the engine and tear it down. You're never going to trust it even if you get it running as is.
It's not like this is an old farm truck you don't give a damn about. Dave is right on the money
with his reply.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 29th, 19, 10:53 AM
Team Member
Darin

what was wrong when you parked it ?
It's been sitting for 40 years, I wouldn't expect to start it up and drive it around,At least not if I expected to save anything OEM long term.
I'd take some things apart and have a look,your going to need to do it anyway I'm sure it was parked because something was wrong, could be all kinds of neat treasures hiding in the engine by now.

Maybe if it was a 77 dodge diplomat or a #s original Ford Granada I'd dump all kinds of stuff down it's throat until it lit off.
HawkX66 likes this.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 29th, 19, 02:48 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Exclamation Re: Engine stuck...

Yeah the big question is why was she put up and forgot about for almost 40 years.
I agree on the logic, if the engine is matching numbers, and your goal is to restore the vehicle, then just pull and tear it down.
If you are building a resto-mod and don't care about numbers, and have a crate engine ready to install anyways, you could try and start her, but IMHO would be an exercise in futility just wasting your time and energy.

Brian

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 29th, 19, 06:34 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Well one sad occurrence that parked a few Camaros was the Friday night grudge match that results in a blown bottom end. If a rod friction welds itself to a crank it will not turn over and may it be hard to get apart.

Big Dave
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 02:26 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

If the engine is seized, what's the point in attempting to turn it over via the flywheel, the front harmonic balancer bolt, or other means?

Being as it is a numbers matching Camaro, you're going to pull the engine anyhow in an attempt to save it and rebuild it I would assume.

Never argue with an idiot; they'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode