Smokey Yunick and 302 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By bilodeaulynn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 19, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Smokey Yunick and 302

Back about 1969 there was an article in one of the hot rod magazines titled 501 HP from stock 302 Chevrolet by Smokey Yunick. Anybody remember that article or am I the only one old enough. Would like to find out the mag and month it appeared and get a copy of the article. 501 HP using stock parts. Smokey was listed as the author, but was actually written by GM engineering about the same time they put out the chassis prep attributed to Dick Gulstrand
Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 19, 01:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Beth

Re: Smokey Yunick and 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Martin View Post
Back about 1969 there was an article in one of the hot rod magazines titled 501 HP from stock 302 Chevrolet by Smokey Yunick. Anybody remember that article or am I the only one old enough. Would like to find out the mag and month it appeared and get a copy of the article. 501 HP using stock parts. Smokey was listed as the author, but was actually written by GM engineering about the same time they put out the chassis prep attributed to Dick Gulstrand
Thank You
Here's an awesome thread about Smokey at Camaros.org :

Smokey Yunick

68 Camaro convertible, 6.0 LQ4 with LS3 heads, Vintage Air, 750 street demon carb, eddy perf rpm, GM hot cam, Hooker headers, 4L80e, 12 bolt, 3.55 gears

Last edited by NashvilleCat; Jun 6th, 19 at 01:18 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 19, 05:21 AM
Senior Tech
Simon

Garage

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 19, 06:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

I have that magazine somewhere. I also have the Popular Hot Rodding magazine with a split picture of a Z/28 and a 57 Chevy and the article about how to "Z/28 your 283 Chevy" (probably not the exact wording,,,, but close... typing from memory). That was the first car mag I ever bought. Pullled up to the 7-11 with a friend in his Z/28. My daily driver was a 57 Chevy.
satz28 likes this.

Lynn
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 19, 07:25 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

I Have all of the Hot Rod magazibes published from 1960 through today:

Down side I have not scanned them yet. I have every Car Craft:

Every Popular Hotrodding ever published:

And every Super Chevy:

That I have already scanned into my computer (currently scanning March 2007 Super Chevy). So if you can tell me a date of any of those three titles I can send you a copy. I also have Muscle Car, Rod and Custom, Chevy High Performance Peterson's 4x4, and Kit Car mags (I have more titles than that but that is all I can remember off the top of my head of Peterson's publishing car mags.

Since I have been diagnosed with a terminal disease and probably wont live long enough to get all of Hot Rod done before I die what mag title would you like to see me scan next?

Big Dave
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 19, 08:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ben

Garage

holy moley
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 19, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have that one, but there is another one I am looking for and I may have the magazine title wrong, old age does things to the memory. Back in 1969 I had a Z28 that I was setting up for autocrossing and SCCA A sedan'. I had A friend who was a Trans Am owner/ driver who suggested that I contact Chevrolet Engineering for info. At the time the corporate ban on racing was still on. GM sent me two leaflets/articles. One was setting up the chassis for racing and the other was building the 302 for racing.
A few months later, so would have been mid to late 69 an article appeared in print titled "501 HP from 302 Chevrolet using stock parts" and author was Smokey Yunick. a couple months later another article appeared and it was setting up the Camaro Chassis for racing and authored by Dick Gulstrand, the GM chassis guru at the time. order may also be wrong as don't remember which came first. Both articles were word for word what GM Engineering had sent me a few months earlier. At the time I still had the GM version to compare and looked really familiar when I read the Mag article.
In the day "Sports Car Graphic", "Car Life", "Popular Hot Rodding" and "Hot Rod" were all giving the Z28 lots of press. I think it was Car life, but might have been Sports Car Graphic was running a series on building the Z28 into an autocross car. It stopped production right in the middle of the series and they were still getting killed in the Local LA autocross competitions. They had just got a set of Firestone racing tires, the at the time popular 1010 tire, but ceased production before had any results. I had already tried that tire and it was to small, went with the bigger Goodyesr tire designed for the Trans Am series and it worked great
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 19, 03:02 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp...camaro-engine/

All I found...

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 19, 03:52 PM
Senior Tech
bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larger Dave View Post
I Have all of the Hot Rod magazibes published from 1960 through today:

Down side I have not scanned them yet. I have every Car Craft:

Every Popular Hotrodding ever published:

And every Super Chevy:

That I have already scanned into my computer (currently scanning March 2007 Super Chevy). So if you can tell me a date of any of those three titles I can send you a copy. I also have Muscle Car, Rod and Custom, Chevy High Performance Peterson's 4x4, and Kit Car mags (I have more titles than that but that is all I can remember off the top of my head of Peterson's publishing car mags.

Since I have been diagnosed with a terminal disease and probably wont live long enough to get all of Hot Rod done before I die what mag title would you like to see me scan next?

Big Dave

All I can say is WOW!! Very Impressed!!!!! And very sorry about your disease.

If you ever bored, and know how to search it, back in probably late 80's there was a Q&A section in maybe Super Chevy (I don't think HR or CC), where the person was asking about finding "original air" for his tires on a maybe 1969/70 (I'm guessing the year) Chevy. Maybe a 1970 Monte......If I remember correctly, I think the answer was go to a junk yard. I would love to see that question again.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode