2Likes
  • 1 Post By 57vette
  • 1 Post By akxtreme

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Al

EFI for 69 small block

Thinking about converting my Edelbrock 4 brl to a EFI system. My current small block (350) makes 410 HP (at sea level) at the engine. Hot cam, aluminum heads, etc. Currently I have no problems. But I live in Denver, so altitude takes its toll on power. Someone who has a EFI on his 69 said a fuel injection kit would give me maybe 100 more HP. Any experience on conversion results? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 01:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Might make it more efficient, but will not give you 100 more hp for sure. That's not what EFI does. It is just a option over a carb.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 01:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage
Re: EFI for 69 small block

Many people swear that for racing and peak power, a carburetor outperforms EFI. People I've talked to that went with Fitech or Sniper marveled at the smooth startup, and increased mileage... but nobody claimed more power. But that's just what I've heard.
fastercar68 likes this.

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 01:53 PM
John

Garage

You will not gain power with EFI. For all out WOT drag racing a carb will perform as well or better than EFI

What you will gain is smoother running, easier starts and increase mileage to some extent

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 06:02 PM
Senior Tech
Rufas

Holley TERMINATOR (NOT SNIPER), don't waste your time, nor money on anything else.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 06:15 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
You will not gain power with EFI. For all out WOT drag racing a carb will perform as well or better than EFI

What you will gain is smoother running, easier starts and increase mileage to some extent
Well said.

69 Camaro, 3650lbs., 400ci, TH400, Coan 10" converter, 3.50 gear
D1SC, pump gas, 9:1, 10 PSI, Water/Meth injection
1.325 60', 5.988 @ 115.4 (carb)
Switched to Super Sniper EFI 2019
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 11:52 AM
Apprentice
david

Check out my YouTube channel for EFI edelbrock install. Search DLK014.

1967 base hugger orange 383 stroker
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 01:10 PM
Senior Tech
Robert

Garage

As stated above the EFI is not going to help with more overall horsepower. The only way that is going to happen is to actually take the car to a lower elevation. It will possibly give you a few more hp in certain RPM ranges where your carb may not be dialed in. But we are talking about a few hp at best. But it will definitely help how the engine starts and performs overall as John stated.
EFI is great especially here in Denver where its 40 degrees in the morning and 80-90 in the afternoon. I have a 69 Camaro SS 350 with a Quadrajet and I am very seriously considering one of the EFI options. I want to keep the car original but the constant temperature fluctuation and elevation changes is frustrating.
Let us know if you decide to go with an EFI system, which one you decide to go with, and how you like it!
fastercar68 likes this.

AKXtreme
69 Camaro L48 SS350
M20 4spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
efi, small block

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode