Engine General Engine Discussion.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 19, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ray

Idle Vacuum

Everyone,

I have a idle vacuum question concerning a small block 350. It's a very typical old school small block. Basic specs are:

~10.5:1 compression
GM double hump "186" heads, with mild porting / polishing still 2.02 / 1.60 valves
69Z28 intake with a Holley 750 DP carb.
Lunati 40134 solid lifter camshaft, non roller.
Mallory Unilite distributor with the vacuum advance not connected, timing is 8 degrees initial and 38 all in around 3500.
1 5/8" headers with 3" collectors and 2.5 exhaust.

This weekend after reading a link on this site I decided to connect the vacuum advance on the distributor. The issue is that I don't appear to have enough manifold vacuum to activate the advance at idle. When I rev the car up and let it come back down to idle, now the vacuum advance is activated and I have a totally different idle RPM (way too high). If I lower the idle via the carb screw the vacuum advance drops out again and then the idle is too low. So I checked the vacuum with two different gauges and the engine only has 5" of vacuum at idle. would this be considered normal for a cam with these specs.

Adv Dur Dur @0.05 Lift Int/Exh LSA/ ICL Lash Int / Exh
40134 278/288 239/249 .517"/.543" 106/102 .018"/.020"

If so then I'll leave it alone and go without the advance as I have for a while now. If not I'll look for a leak. I did a quick carb spray check around the intake and didn't find any leaks.

Thanks
Ray

Thanks,
Ray

'69 Z/28, born with 302, owned since 1982.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 19, 12:48 PM
Senior Tech
Rufas

Re: Idle Vacuum

Adding IDLE timing would help bring idle vacuum up a bit.

That cam would want me to use 12/14 degrees if INITIAL timing, and set the degrees stop of the vacuum advance to add 10 degrees more timing, on full manifold vacuum, to give 24 degrees of IDLE timing.

This should help to get a couple more in/hg of vacuum, and make the carb adjustment easier.

You might also have another issue on the carb. To find this info, you will need to pull the carb off the manifold and physically look at the idle transfer slots and how far they are open. This gets a little specific, but I will keep it simple.

If you look at the primary throttle plates and where they sit at idle settings, choke off, you will see on the throttle bore, a hole below the plate, and up a bit, a slot, partly open under the plates. This slot is responsible for the just off idle fuel transfer from idle to acceleration, and is the first system in the carb to "hit" as acceleration is done. If the slot is too far open, the fuel that should be held in suspension in the slot will be used for idle, because the throttle plates will be idling too far open.

Now, timing at idle will effect just where these plates sit in the throttle bores at idle, and if too far exposed, with the plates open too far, idle and off idle vacuum is lowered, causing more issues.

Now, pulling the carb on and off the manifold ain't fun. I suggest puling the carb just once, and when off, use the idle speed screw to set the throttle plates so they only expose the idle transfer slots the required .020 inch distance. Then, use a scribe to make a line on the throttle bore to mark the ABOVE the throttle plate position, so it can be seen from the top of the carb. This will help in not forcing the carb removal to check the idle transfer slots as you progress along in getting it dialed in right.

Once the idle timing is dialed in, and the carb in correct idle plate position attitude, then, see what you have for idle vacuum.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 19, 01:12 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Problem is you have too much cam (valve overlap). It is adversely affecting your car's streetability. I doubt you are going to change the cam because you like the noise it makes.

So in that case return to your previous set up and loose bottom end torque (which you compensate for with a higher numbered rear gear). Of course a higher gear affects your mileage, as does the cam, as it is probably running rich down low (if not you are probably running lean up top).

This is what I refer to as streetability. You have a cam that is only good for high (above 4,200 RPM) operation even though you rarely if ever operate your car on the street at that RPM. All to get that race car sound of a rough idling cam.

Big Dave

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 19, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As Larger Dave suggests, engine cannot make vacuum when valves are open at the same time. A wider LSA is needed with smaller duration open.
It is a trade-off, either/or, not both.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 04:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ben

Garage

more idle timing. change bushing in distributor to limit total to 38 when you combine your base (idle) timing and mechanical advance. if you can get a bushing that limits mechanical advance to 18 degrees, then set your base at 18 degrees, this should give you a total of 36. then hook up vacuum to manifold source with a limiter plate stopping vacuum advance at 8-10 degrees and you'll get your 24-28 idle timing the motor wants to idle well and make some vacuum and 36-38 total that it needs. after that adjust carb idle screw to get transfer slots covered as stated above. viola
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 07:00 AM
Team Member
Darin

Vacuum seems a little low for that cam. I would think 8"-10" @ about 1000rpm should be attainable, if you get it tuned well.

I had a 355 sbc 10.5comp
Hyd cam.
244 @ .050 .500 valve lift
Lobe Separation 110/ 106 center line
I was in the 8~10" vac range. I had at least 12 deg initial timing on that engine.

My current SBC roller has more duration and lift, but more cubic inches also. It pulls 12" @900 rpm.
8 deg cranking timing, 24 when it fires and idles, 44 deg. or so @ lean cruise, 36deg. @ WOT. Timing is computer controlled.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ray

Thanks for the input...

Dave R, I hadn't reviewed the transfer slots as the mixture screws were acting normal so I was under the belief that the slots were covered enough. I'll check them out.

bhodgdon400, I have the whole assortment of adjustment for the distributor and can change the mechanical advance to a lower number and add some initial timing to the motor. I'll give that a try.

Larger Dave, I do like the sound of course but didn't pick the cam for this application. I bracket raced for many years and built this motor roughly 20 years ago for a '67 Camaro that I had at that time, it ran high 11's. When I built the next motor (383, with yet a bigger cam, better induction, more compression etc., ran high 10's then) I kept this motor intact basically. So, when I decided to remove the 302 due to a close call with destruction I threw this motor in my car with my 302 heads and intake, until such time that I wanted to put the 302 back in. I didn't bother to change the cam out and for the most part it runs well but I thought maybe I could improve upon my situation. You are right though, I run a lot of gear, which the 302 liked as well, but I have Tremec TKO600 in the car now so highway isn't too bad. The bottom end of this cam is 3000 rpm, under that and its not as happy.

Thanks,
Ray

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 08:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ben

Garage

getting some more initial advance will definitely help with the vacuum signal and tuneability. ask me how i know
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 10:22 AM
Tech Team
Chris

I just went through this same situation. I have low idle vacuum and a B28 vacuum can. I tried running full manifold vacuum and once I revved the engine it would idle fast on the can and wouldn't come back down to the original idle speed. I switched to ported vacuum off the carb and it fixed it. Because there isn't any vacuum advance at idle, I bumped up my initial and limited my mechanical. I wanted to keep the vacuum advance for part throttle cruising.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ray

Okay, so in that case the vacuum advance is only on during the part throttle operation. I could switch to that I believe the metering block has that port. I'll see about adding initial timing as well.

Thanks
Ray

Thanks,
Ray

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 11:12 AM
Tech Team
Chris

Give it a try.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 05:31 PM
Senior Tech
Rufas

Engines with performance options DO NOT LIKE TWO ACCELERATION CURVES.

Now, the mechanical curve is an acceleration curve.

With the WRONG PORTED vacuum, so is the vacuum advance.

At the sacrifice of idle timing quality.

If it runs better with ported vacuum, and it does not have a functional EGR valve, FIX WHAT IS WRONG WITH IT.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 01:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Dave, you said something the other day that made the light bulb come on with me. I might not be able to remember it precisely, but basically you said that the transfer slots in the secondaries need to stay at "Square" because it reserves the system air/fuel and prepares the tune for when you accelerate. So I then realized that there are "Sub-Systems" within the carb that need to be set independently of the other "Sub-systems" and they are unique and independent and should be treated this way. My mistake was adjusting the wrong sub-system because it seemed to run better when I did at that moment. For me, at least, it is hard to follow the correct sequence of what to do and when to do it, but I am beginning to grasp the complexity.

Ray, I was having similar issues and Dave steered me into a vacuum advance with a stop added into the rod that pulls the diaphragm so it won't "over-advance" the system. I have all of the parts, I just haven't had the time to install it and try it yet. Using manifold vacuum enables the advance to pull better at idle, but then limits the amount when you don't want it. It sounds very logical once I understood it.

Brett......

1969 SS 396 X66 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ray

So I removed the distributor last night and set the mechanical advance to 24 deg, put the distributor back in and adjusted the initial timing to 14 deg, or 38 total. With that I still have manifold vacuum too low to activate the vacuum advance. I did use a pump to check the vacuum advance and it is set for 10 deg. But it takes like 14 inches of vacuum to pull it in. I'm of the opinion that the cam in this motor will never allow for than much vacuum. I've not pulled the carburetor yet to check the idle slots. I have to travel the next week for work so it likely won't get done until I return.

Ray

Thanks,
Ray

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 06:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Green Z View Post
So I removed the distributor last night and set the mechanical advance to 24 deg, put the distributor back in and adjusted the initial timing to 14 deg, or 38 total. With that I still have manifold vacuum too low to activate the vacuum advance. I did use a pump to check the vacuum advance and it is set for 10 deg. But it takes like 14 inches of vacuum to pull it in. I'm of the opinion that the cam in this motor will never allow for than much vacuum. I've not pulled the carburetor yet to check the idle slots. I have to travel the next week for work so it likely won't get done until I return.Ray

Sounds like you have the wrong vac advance for your application. I'm not sure which one you are using, but sounds like you need one that kicks in at lower vacuum. I had a similar low idle vacuum problem and changed my vac can to fix the problem (also made a stop for it to limit the amount of advance). Attached below is a listing of various vac advance units with the vacuum they start to advance and the vacuum at which they are all in. Also shown is the total amount of advance provided. If you want to adjust the rate at which the advance is added (not the total amount added), you'll need one like the Crane adjustable unit. Hope this list helps you select an appropriate vac advance unit for your low idle vacuum engine.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Vac Adv Specs (Rev Jan 2017).pdf (1.25 MB, 20 views)
bhodgdon400 likes this.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode