67 327 Canister to Spin On adapter? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

67 327 Canister to Spin On adapter?

I have the canister type oil filter on my 67 327 using a WIX cartridge. I like it but I just put in a TH350 and the dust cover for tranny is against the canister not allowing it to bolt up on the top 2 bolts and I would prefer not to just have it bolted on with the bottom 2 bolts only.

I assume the spin on filter has less width so the cover should then fit as designed

Is the Fram K98ADP adapter what I need?

or this one?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...wTUaArCm8P8HAQ

or?

What about bypass valve?

and what filter is then used, preferably WIX #?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 07:57 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: 67 327 Canister to Spin On adapter?

I would slot the bolt holes on the dust cover to get it to fit like it is supposed to.

You only need a by-pass valve if you are running a high pressure oil pump with thick oil, or you never change your oil (which I would highly doubt in your case).

Both the Mr. Gasket Oil Filter Adapter Kit Part Number 1270, and the Fram K98ADP adapter are used as a direct replacement for your canister filter.

Modern blocks are machined inside the oil filter cavity flat to seal the spin on canister; but your block was not (it can be on a future rebuild to get rid of the O-ring gasket). Recommend it over an adapter such as this one:

https://www.danchuk.com/ItemForm.aspx?Item=16242

Which is an OEM spin on oil filter mount for a machined block made after 1969; as it would probably have a leak over time.

Big Dave
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 08:04 AM
Senior Tech
Al

I used a Wix 24061 adapter. Bought it either from Rockauto or Amazon.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larger Dave View Post
I would slot the bolt holes on the dust cover to get it to fit like it is supposed to.

You only need a by-pass valve if you are running a high pressure oil pump with thick oil, or you never change your oil (which I would highly doubt in your case).

Both the Mr. Gasket Oil Filter Adapter Kit Part Number 1270, and the Fram K98ADP adapter are used as a direct replacement for your canister filter.

Big Dave
I don't have a HV pump nor do I use heavy weight oil. Use 10-30 and my OP is about 20psi at hot idle and 40+psi at cruise speed

So do I have a bypass valve stock with a canister filter set up? (thought I did)

Slotting or enlarging the top holes of dust cover won't resolve the fit issue. The canister body is not allowing the dust cover to go all the way up so the top holes to get up to the tranny case holes. Bottom holes line up but the cover is "deflected" as the canister is not allowing it to go all the way up

I had to do minimal trimming of the re-pop cover around the starter opening, no big deal. The top of cover is not hitting the block, it seems to be the canister is not allowing it to go all the way up (about 1/4" more). Since the TH350 never came with a 67 with canister filter I see why there is a conflict as spin on filters, IIRC, were for 68 and on.

I will try bending in a slight curve on the part of cover to see if that gives the clearance but need to make sure I don't bend it into the FW. I could also cut a slot in the cover but would prefer not to hack it to that extent

Swapping in parts (tranny) that didn't come with the car but is a "bolt in" does have a * as footnote. In this case..."some adjustments may need to be made on dust cover to fit"..
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanjs View Post
I used a Wix 24061 adapter. Bought it either from Rockauto or Amazon.
This one?

https://www.amazon.com/WIX-Filters-2.../dp/B000CSD29G

Did it come with the threaded "male" stud the spin on filter screws onto? (not seeing it in pic)

EDIT:

Summit shows a complete pic, now I see

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wix-24061/overview/
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 08:23 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal805 View Post
This one?

https://www.amazon.com/WIX-Filters-2.../dp/B000CSD29G

Did it come with the threaded "male" stud the spin on filter screws onto? (not seeing it in pic)
Yep. That's it. Yes it has the threaded stud. Here's the Wix site info.
Part Details

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 08:25 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

All of those kits are basically the same. Consist of an investment cast (permanent die) aluminum base, four screws, a machined adapter (similar to this one:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-3853870

and an O-ring as found in your canister oil filter replacement filter package.

Those components are all probably made over seas (which is fine except for the screws) and are sold by a number of companies.

Only issue is you have a double seal. The adapter plate, and on the spin on filter. You get a new gasket with every filter but the adapter plate O-ring stays in place getting hardened by age and will at some point fail.

Big Dave
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 08:26 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Roger, Yes you have a bypass valve now. Leave it in place. No need to remove it
and the Wix adapter is intended to have it in place.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks Al....so you have any leak issues with the conversion?

some reviews note them....but online review negative often is "operator error" :-)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 08:34 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal805 View Post
Thanks Al....so you have any leak issues with the conversion?

some reviews note them....but online review negative often is "operator error" :-)
No leaks here. The Wix adapter has been the gold standard for decades.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Good to hear Al...WIX, to me, has always been A+ product

The adapter is as wide as Canister so I may need to notch the top of dust cover to clear that part but the spin on filter looks to be much thinner than canister so otherwise clearance to cover with spin on should be a non issue

You use the 51061 filter with it?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 09:04 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Napa 1069 same as Wix 51069.

Al

my 67' build thread:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode