Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
CDB
Gold Lifetime Member
Clifton

Garage
1969 SBC - Changing Pulleys

Installed Classic Auto Air AC, and I need to install the proper pulleys (original only a PS car). I'm ordering proper pulleys (crank, ps, and water pump). Can they be replaced while on the car? Should I order a harmonic dampener as well as replace that as well (No reason to think it's bad)?

1969 RS/SS 350 3.31 4 Speed (All Original)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 07:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Re: 1969 SBC - Changing Pulleys

Yes, you should be able to replace them on the car. I'd verify the condition of your damper before I'd buy one. I had mine rebuilt several years ago by the Damper Doctor. The rubber on mine was shot so it was time.

https://www.damperdoctor.com/

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
CDB
Gold Lifetime Member
Clifton

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcz28 View Post
Yes, you should be able to replace them on the car. I'd verify the condition of your damper before I'd buy one. I had mine rebuilt several years ago by the Damper Doctor. The rubber on mine was shot so it was time.

https://www.damperdoctor.com/

Thanks for the advice. Besides normal sockets and tools, all I need is a PS pulley tool from autozone, right? Any other abnormal tools?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 06:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDB View Post
Thanks for the advice. Besides normal sockets and tools, all I need is a PS pulley tool from autozone, right? Any other abnormal tools?

Standard tools should cover it and a tool to remove the PS pulley if necessary. You should be able to disconnect and move the PS pump around a bit if necessary to get a puller in if necessary. If you do elect to remove the damper make sure to buy/rent a proper removal/installation tool. Never pound on the damper.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 19, 08:34 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Red face Re: 1969 SBC - Changing Pulleys

If you have an original power steering pump with the large nut on the end, you don't need a puller as it is keyed and will come right off.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
CDB
Gold Lifetime Member
Clifton

Garage
Whoops. Definitely have the old version with a nut on the end. Do I need a special tool for the woodruff key? Or do I just use a wrench to loosen the nut while using a second wrench to hold it in place?

If I only try and remove the nut, it spins the whole pulley.

Last edited by CDB; Jun 29th, 19 at 10:46 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 12:55 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Red face Re: 1969 SBC - Changing Pulleys

I think I used an air impact to get mine off. Mine came off really easy, though. You may be able to keep it from turning with a belt on the pulley.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
CDB
Gold Lifetime Member
Clifton

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS69 View Post
I think I used an air impact to get mine off. Mine came off really easy, though. You may be able to keep it from turning with a belt on the pulley.
Got it. Thanks. That was a pain.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 01:34 PM
Senior Tech

Those strap wrenches come in handy for holding pulleys while you have a wrench on the nut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode