Team Camaro Tech banner

Confusion confusion....

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Everett#2390 
#1 ·
Hey guys new to the forum here. I have a 69 convertible RS. It has a numbers matching 327 motor with a power glide and PS, power top, power disc brakes and standard interior but with console and gauges. The car is lemans blue with white standard interior. The car was a basket case when I got it...close to being a runner now. Couple of questions: I am in the process of bolting on my alternator and power steering etc. I can’t seem to get the right brackets for it. My research indicates that somehow I have a early corvette small block 4 bbl intake,so there is no top hole by the water inlet to bolt the top bolt into it. ????? If this is the case any suggestions out there. Next, I do have a Th350 rebuilt trans that I can put into this car vs having to rebuild the powerglide right now. My friend has a 350 in his and it drives nicely. If I put the trans in I know I need some small parts for the conversion. Any advice on that would be appreciated. Additionally I recently acquired a 650 demon carburetor for this motor. Anyone ever ran a demon carb and if so how did you like it. Looking forward to getting some advice from you experts out there...thx,Todd

#2 ·
The easier solution might be to change intakes. Depending on how original you want I would do the Th350. You can always store the Powerglide.

#3 ·
A Demon carb is a Holley by design. So it acts just like a Holley 650. Barry Garnt not only copied the Holley (for which Holley could have sued him for every penny he had) but he improved the process of manufacturing the carb to remove flaws common to a cast part (porosity and bad fitment). Barry machined his metering plates out of billet aluminum instead of a pot metal casting that Holley at the time was using. Holley not only realized the error of their ways and changed their production procedure (copying BG this time) but they bought the company from Barry on the courthouse steps as Barry had gone into bankruptcy by this time. So a BG carb really is a Holley now.

The 1969 Z used a Winters high rise square bore intake manifold that had been modified to use the bracket changes to accommodate the new for 1969 long water pump (a change made to bring the accessories in closer to the engine to prevent throwing V-belts as frequently; that resulted in warranty claims). If you can find one it will be numbers matching at least so far as the casting number. An Edlebrock or Weinad square bore high rise will closely match the factory manifold in appearance.

The TH350 will be a bolt in upgrade to yor PG. A PG is a busted TH350 as it takes off in second gear all the time, and you will learn to appreciate how the addition of a first gear affects your acceleration. You can buy the parts to convert you PG linkage and comb over to a TH350 pattern from many companies on line. There are also plastic shift indicators for the TH350 which was a factory option from reproduction houses.

Might I add if you think the TH350 is a good fit then you will love a 200R4. This is an OD four speed transmission used in Buicks and Chevrolet police cars. The Chevrolet version has both Chevy and BOP bolt patterns cast into the bell housing. The lock up torque converter and over driven fourth will offer a marked improvement in mileage, and the steeper first gear will offer even better performance. It is also a bolt in tranny the same size and length as your existing PG. There are also linkage, lens and shifter combs to find all four gears (the factory Chevy police car locked first gear manual out of the pattern) available from the aftermarket to make it appear as a factory option.

Big Dave

#4 ·
Does your intake manifold have the boss cast into it? If it does you can drill and tap it.
The Demon is a square bore carb. If your intake is made for a spreadbore carb you'll
have to use an adapter plate. Depending on what you want for originality you might
be better off with an aftermarket intake. Roger (SoCal805) just swapped a powerglide
for a TH350. Here's a thread he had going while doing the swap. The last post pretty
much sums it up.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/27-transmission-driveline/461921-powerglide-turbo-350-swap-s-2.html

#5 ·
OP

I put a Edelbrock manifold & carb, 1406, on my 327 & it was plug & play using the stock alt bracket The PS bracket does not bolt to intake manifold. I suspect your Demon will bolt to the Edelbrock manifold

Also put a 350 and took the PG out. MUCH better trans. You will need a TH350 dip stick/tube, dust cover and torque converter. It is a direct bolt in. Shiftworks is where you want to get either the parts or complete shifter for the 350. I bought the parts and did it myself. You will kill a few rivet bits doing the conversion for the shifter

My thread on my swap.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/27-transmission-driveline/461921-powerglide-turbo-350-swap-s-2.html

#6 ·
If no intake boss for bolt, use the upper right water pump bolt, as it is a doubled ended stud, only and get the longer upper bracket, pre-'66.
If you get a THM350, use a 6 inch tailshaft model and file out the notch in the shift plate for first gear.

#8 ·
If no intake boss for bolt, use the upper right water pump bolt, as it is a doubled ended stud, only and get the longer upper bracket, pre-'66.
If you get a THM350, use a 6 inch tailshaft model and file out the notch in the shift plate for first gear.
I'm confused as to how this works on a 69 with a long water pump.

I just went and looked at my original intake and the upper bracket bolts to a double ended stud on the thermostat housing and to the upper passenger side water pump bolt. The pre 69 Chevys I've owned had the alternator on the drivers side and the 69 mounts to the front of the passenger cylinder head. I'll confess that I've never owned a Camaro besides 69 models.

Jeff

#10 ·
No, my car is a 69 327. Not sure about drilling the intake on the car. My concern is that I want to put a cowl induction system on my car and want the system to fit correctly. If I get an aftermarket intake such as an edelbrock performer or torker 2 will the setup still allow use of the cowl induction setup and mounting for the alternator etc.
I believe I have a small block and big block top bracket. They are chrome that I bought at our local swap meet. Both sellers saying there’s was for a small block. Let me know what to do guys....thx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.