11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 19, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
CDB
Gold Lifetime Member
Clifton

Garage
Distributor rebuild and conversion

I bought a date correct distributor to replace my numbers one matching with the hopes that Dave's small body heis would rebuild and convert it for me. Well he no longer provides services to anyone using camaros.net.

Does anyone else do this kind of work? Is this kind of work something local shops might be able to do?

1969 RS/SS 350 3.31 4 Speed (All Original)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 19, 01:24 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Distributor rebuild and conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDB View Post
I bought a date correct distributor to replace my numbers one matching with the hopes that Dave's small body heis would rebuild and convert it for me. Well he no longer provides services to anyone using camaros.net.

Does anyone else do this kind of work? Is this kind of work something local shops might be able to do?
It's very easy to convert a points distributor to a Pertronix III set up. I've done a few of them. Rebuilding the dizzy is pretty easy also, but if you want to have someone do it it's a common thing to be done and there are a lot of people/business that can help you. If you were close, I'd be happy to help. I'm sure someone will be along with a recommended vendor for you. I don't have one to give because I do my own work on this kind of thing. Good luck.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1 AED 950 carb
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 19, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
CDB
Gold Lifetime Member
Clifton

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkX66 View Post
It's very easy to convert a points distributor to a Pertronix III set up. I've done a few of them. Rebuilding the dizzy is pretty easy also, but if you want to have someone do it it's a common thing to be done and there are a lot of people/business that can help you. If you were close, I'd be happy to help. I'm sure someone will be along with a recommended vendor for you. I don't have one to give because I do my own work on this kind of thing. Good luck.
It's my understanding that those conversion kits are pretty inferior to a true conversion. Any truth behind that statement?

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 19, 02:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

I prefer this conversion that connects with one wire like your original distributor.

Breakerless Ignition They are also available at Summit Racing and other distributors.

I know Dave builds a very nice points eliminated distributor. But for me, the Breakerless conversion has worked flawlessly for 10+ years. The Pertronics can provide a rev limiter if you need it, while the Breakerless unit does not. That would be the only reason I would use Pertronics instead of the Breakerless conversion.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 159
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 19, 06:59 PM
Senior Tech
Morgan

Garage

I have run both. The pertronix 2 and 3, never a failure once. Unless you need the correct numbers, they sell a brand new ready to run with points for under $60, it will cost more than that if you need a main shaft.

Let me know what you are trying to accomplish, I have a distributor machine and can set it up for you, or recommend some springs based on what you want it to do

69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 automatic [email protected], 1.95 on f70-14 polyglas F.AS.T. Race June 2016
69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 4spd [email protected] 1.93 60ft on F70/14
PSMCDR 2014
71LS6 vette [email protected] PSMCDR 2012 SOLD
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 05:15 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDB View Post
It's my understanding that those conversion kits are pretty inferior to a true conversion. Any truth behind that statement?
None whatsoever. The points conversion kits work very well. I can't speak for the other brands, but unlike what he probably filled your head with, the Pertronix III works very well. Ask anyone that installed one correctly and is using one. There are plenty of us around. Saying he won't sell to TC members speaks volumes.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1 AED 950 carb
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 06:04 AM
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkX66 View Post
None whatsoever. The points conversion kits work very well. I can't speak for the other brands, but unlike what he probably filled your head with, the Pertronix III works very well. Ask anyone that installed one correctly and is using one. There are plenty of us around. Saying he won't sell to TC members speaks volumes.
I'm running a pertronix, going on 12 years. Not one issue.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 08:25 AM
Team Member
Tim

Just ask Dave nicely, I think his bark is worse than his bite, I believe he's a decent guy at heart

1967 RS/SS Coupe, Factory A/C, 2nd owner, original paint -Taho Turquoise 3 Spd on the floor, bench seat, fold down rear seat

1967 RS Convertible Factory A/C, PS, PB PG 327
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 09:45 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niblet View Post
Just ask Dave nicely, I think his bark is worse than his bite, I believe he's a decent guy at heart
Niblet likes this.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 09:52 AM
Senior Tech

The Pertronix kit is simple to install and for me has worked well on my otherwise stock 67 dizzy. I pulled mine and installed it on the bench and, per instructions, needed to install the included washer (shim) between drive gear & shaft. You measure wiyh a feeler gauge as some may not need the shim but mine did. Simple to install bu just knocking out the roll pin of the drive gear and sliding it off shaft then putting in shim then re-installing gear

You do need to remove the resistor wire (white) going to the + side of coil and replace it with 12 gauge wire from either the same terminal on the bulkhead connector as white wire or just abandon the white wire (tape it back into the wire harness) and run a new dedicated wire from IGN terminal of fuse block to + side of coil. Easy
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 10:47 AM
Senior Tech
Rufas

Actually, I have done a few conversions for people on this board, and none had issues back to me during, and after the process.

Now, there is that one person, whom posted his picture two posts above this one, that no matter what, always causes trouble, so I just avoid him. It is not worth wasting my time on him.

As I have said recently, I am not doing conversions now, maybe none in the future, THE ONLY REASON IS, I was bitten on my left hand by a Brown Recluse spider on August 7th, had two surgeries to my left hand for it, 21 days in the hospital in Reno, and the hand may well never be OK enough to go back to doing my work. I'll know by the first of the year if I can do what I do by then. Pictures on request, and it is not nice, nor pretty.

So, please, don't speculate on what I do, or, what others say.....ask me, then tell the honest answer to others, it is very much appreciated.
yellow69RS likes this.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 10:57 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave ray View Post
Actually, I have done a few conversions for people on this board, and none had issues back to me during, and after the process.

Now, there is that one person, whom posted his picture two posts above this one, that no matter what, always causes trouble, so I just avoid him. It is not worth wasting my time on him.

As I have said recently, I am not doing conversions now, maybe none in the future, THE ONLY REASON IS, I was bitten on my left hand by a Brown Recluse spider on August 7th, had two surgeries to my left hand for it, 21 days in the hospital in Reno, and the hand may well never be OK enough to go back to doing my work. I'll know by the first of the year if I can do what I do by then. Pictures on request, and it is not nice, nor pretty.

So, please, don't speculate on what I do, or, what others say.....ask me, then tell the honest answer to others, it is very much appreciated.
please post a picture of your hands
1971ls6 and Niblet like this.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
CDB
Gold Lifetime Member
Clifton

Garage

Quote:

Dave, I don't mean any offense nor speculation. I'm simply going off this post here by you: https://www.camaros.net/forums/1783153317-post29.html .

I also don't want this thread to turn into a drama thread. I just know that your work is supposed to be the best, so I'm looking for the runner up option. That's all.

Anyways, I'm likely going to go with the Breakerless as I want to the one wire feature. I'll also need a rebuild since I bought this used off some other forum a while back and don't even know what kind of condition it's in.

1971ls6 - What kind of work can you do/handle? Mind pming me what you would charge?

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 06:49 PM
John

Garage

Is the some reason you don't want to buy a new electronic dizzy and be done with it?

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 07:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:

That's a shame Dave. You've done two conversions for me, and I have a 45000 mile 69 Impala LM1 I want to send for conversion once I start working on the car. Let me know if you start back up. I like your work anyways.

06A 1969 Camaro Z28 X33D80 69 B 711 Black Stripes Console w/tach and gauges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode