Engine General Engine Discussion.

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 19, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage
New Carb - Whole new ballgame!

My 572 BBC supposedly came dynoed with a Quickfuel 880 Mechanical Secondary carb(BS because it had factory airbleeds, jets and powervalve which were all changed out after the fact).

Anyway, I was never super impressed with the performance of the motor and throttle response of the card since day 1. After wasting a lot of time and effort on my part, one of my racer friends told me to call Jeff over at AED. I gave him all the specs of my motor and he recommended a Modified Holley 850 HP that would flow 1050cfm. It was a lot of money, but paid extra to have it set-up, wet tested and tuned. They said I would most likely just have to bolt it on and man they weren't kidding! I didn't even have to adjust the idle! The car sounded totally different, revs were quick and crisp. Had it running for only 5 minutes in the driveway and had to pull it in the garage as it started to rain. Came home from the work the next night and took her out for a ride and all I can say it HOLY F*^K!!!! It is like someone flipped a 250hp button. When I got on it before the car stuck to the road like glue, little to no tie chatter or spin - now I can't get traction at all - even breaks the tires loose in 3rd gear - crazy scary insane to say the least!!! I cannot say enough about what they did to wake up the sleeping beast! This is what I was originally expecting when I hit the throttle for the 1st time!

I would recommend them to anyone on the fence and having carb issues - I still cannot believe what a difference it made. Worth every penny and then some!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191011_202217.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	434.5 KB
ID:	230029   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191020_102600.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	414.3 KB
ID:	230031  

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 19, 10:52 AM
Bill

Re: New Carb - Whole new ballgame!

They are definitely the best. They also have a deal where if you buy a carb from them and you are close enough you can take it there and they will put it on the chassis dyno and tune it.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 19, 11:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Den

Garage

I had an Edelbrock 600 on my .060 350 when I bought it. I added a Trickflow top end kit. It was an improvement over the smog 882 heads and performer cam. I jetted the carb to its max setting and it still seemed blah. I put on a Holley 650dp and noticed an improvement right away, but it still needed some tuning. I got it close, well I thought I did. I mostly tuned out a lean stumble I had and I thought it ran great. Then I took it to the dyno. I was lean in the secondary and I still had a slight stumble on part throttle cruise. I slowed my advance curve down and rejetted the carb. I went back and made another 11hp, however, I'm still lean in the secondaries according to the Air/Fuel readings. I went up another two sizes and it runs so good now. There is nothing like the feeling of getting the right carb dialed in.

1969 Camaro 350, Trickflow heads, ST-10 4spd, Hotchkis suspension, Baer SS brake kit, moser 12bolt

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 19, 12:00 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Greg, Your original carb may have been contributing to the over heating problem
you had. It will be interesting to see if the temp changes now.
pittpens24 likes this.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 19, 12:09 PM
Senior Tech
Rick

The guys at AED are great. They even emailed me on a Sunday with their recommendation. Mine has been perfect for years now. I never have to mess with it.
pittpens24 likes this.

69 COPO clone, 461" BBC 11.25:1 Compression
840 Rec Heads (2.25/1.88) AED 850 HO carb
Orig Exhaust Manifolds
Straub (Clay Smith) cam, 288/300 .600/.569 109.
TH400, 3500 stall, 4.11 12 bolt posi
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 19, 12:18 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittpens24 View Post
My 572 BBC supposedly came dynoed with a Quickfuel 880 Mechanical Secondary carb(BS because it had factory airbleeds, jets and powervalve which were all changed out after the fact).

Anyway, I was never super impressed with the performance of the motor and throttle response of the card since day 1. After wasting a lot of time and effort on my part, one of my racer friends told me to call Jeff over at AED. I gave him all the specs of my motor and he recommended a Modified Holley 850 HP that would flow 1050cfm. It was a lot of money, but paid extra to have it set-up, wet tested and tuned. They said I would most likely just have to bolt it on and man they weren't kidding! I didn't even have to adjust the idle! The car sounded totally different, revs were quick and crisp. Had it running for only 5 minutes in the driveway and had to pull it in the garage as it started to rain. Came home from the work the next night and took her out for a ride and all I can say it HOLY F*^K!!!! It is like someone flipped a 250hp button. When I got on it before the car stuck to the road like glue, little to no tie chatter or spin - now I can't get traction at all - even breaks the tires loose in 3rd gear - crazy scary insane to say the least!!! I cannot say enough about what they did to wake up the sleeping beast! This is what I was originally expecting when I hit the throttle for the 1st time!

I would recommend them to anyone on the fence and having carb issues - I still cannot believe what a difference it made. Worth every penny and then some!
It's amazing what a correctly tuned carb can do! You sure have the purdy factor going on there too. Glad to hear you had such great results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
They are definitely the best. They also have a deal where if you buy a carb from them and you are close enough you can take it there and they will put it on the chassis dyno and tune it.
Hope that's true! I don't live far from Richmond. I have a mongrel AED carb on my 69 right now that works well, but I'd love to pick up something specifically tuned for my motor and see what she'll really do.
pittpens24 likes this.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1 AED 950 carb
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."

Last edited by HawkX66; Oct 23rd, 19 at 12:34 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 19, 01:49 PM
Team Member
Darin

Looks like annular boosters ?

I thought about going with those on my 850 XP.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 19, 07:12 PM
Senior Tech
Morgan

Garage

I run a 850 annular and it has been the best choice so far over the down leg boosters.

Annular boosters need less fuel than down leg boosters

69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 automatic [email protected], 1.95 on f70-14 polyglas F.AS.T. Race June 2016
69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 4spd [email protected] 1.93 60ft on F70/14
PSMCDR 2014
71LS6 vette [email protected] PSMCDR 2012 SOLD
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 19, 07:28 PM
Senior Tech
Wiley E. Coyote

jeff built me a nice aed 850 ho for my 383....service is great.
Get a real air cleaner on there youll make even more steam!!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 19, 10:37 PM
Senior Tech
Alex

I run an AED on my 461 and wouldn't recommend any other carb for a performance application.

1969 Pontiac Firebird
w/BP 461ci stroker kit, 670 heads & XE274H cam. Primer black w/black interior.
1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 19, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv67 View Post
jeff built me a nice aed 850 ho for my 383....service is great.
Get a real air cleaner on there youll make even more steam!!
I wish I could. Just spent $185 for that and it doesn't get enough air unless I take the filter out and run it open. Short of cutting a hole in my hood, I am out of options

572 BB - CM Engines
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 19, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

One thing I will say - there is a lot of controversy on punching holes in the throttle plates when I was trying to get the most out of my old set-up. This carb from AED has the primaries punched and with the night and day performance I've gotten from this upgrade, I'd say they know what they are doing!

572 BB - CM Engines
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 19, 05:53 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittpens24 View Post
One thing I will say - there is a lot of controversy on punching holes in the throttle plates when I was trying to get the most out of my old set-up. This carb from AED has the primaries punched and with the night and day performance I've gotten from this upgrade, I'd say they know what they are doing!
That's interesting that you say that. Mine had all four butterflies punched when I got it. I should have left it, but I wanted it "right." Now I'm chasing a few things. I'm about to throw 37s in for the accelerator pump nozzles to see if that will help with a slightly lean condition when I nail it. I have 35s in it now with hollow mounting screws. In theory the drilled plates only help idle though. I think I'm going to throw the plates I had in it back in if the new nozzles don't clear everything up. If it works, it works.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1 AED 950 carb
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 19, 07:46 AM
Team Member
Darin

The new Holley XP body has adjustable air bypass built in, no more drilling holes in the throttle plates.
AED should use that new casting.
HawkX66 likes this.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 19, 09:55 AM
Senior Tech
Wiley E. Coyote

Dont believe in using them....mess around with those air bleeds. Jeff will get it perfect

I bought one of thosecleaners too it looked so cool at least for shows

Can you use a drop base air cleaner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode