• 1 Post By akxtreme
  • 1 Post By Vega
  • 1 Post By BillK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

69 350 questions

Hi Guys
I have a few questions as I am still new and learning.
I am looking to upgrade my engine and try to help it run a bit better and give it m ore power if I can.

I dont know much about under the hood so I cant give to many details of what I have. I do know that the car is fuel injected with a sniper. its a non ac car but I will be adding that soon as we need it in FL

so I am wondering are any of the products below going to help me run better and get more HP, and if you have any suggestions or know any other products to look at as well please let me know

Complete Cowl Induction System
COIL, FLAME-THROWER I, PERTRONIX
IGNITION COIL H E I DISTRIBUTOR PERTRONIX STREET
DISTRIBUTOR PERTRONIX BILLET W/ BLACK FEMALE STYLE CAP
TUNE UP KIT H E I DISTRIBUTOR PERTRONIX
COIL, FLAME-THROWER III, PERTRONIX, HC E CORE DESIGN,
most of this stuff I only know a little bit basically the descriptions from the catalogs so any help advice would be helpful
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 02:41 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Re: 69 350 questions

As long as your current ignition system is in good working condition/engine is properly tuned, I doubt all those items will help with HP enough to notice. Switching to electronic ignition will probably help with starting and be less maintenance, but I wouldn't expect to feel much in the seat of your pants.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 03:25 AM
John

Garage

You may already have electronic ignition.

IMHO it would be a really good idea to take some time and do the research to find out as much as you can about what you have already before you start changing anything.

Not just under the hood but the entire car including the complete drivetrain and rear end as well as your suspension and other components.

After that is done set your goals and develop a plan to get you where you want to be.
130fe and allanjs like this.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 04:02 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

post a picture of your engine/distributor
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Agree with John & Brian - learn about what you have and it reads very good.
IMO, you would want drivability more than anything else.
You could always take a step back in time and install an Alpha-N fuel injection system, but I imagine its already included

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 08:34 AM
Senior Tech

OP

I seriously doubt with a Sniper EFI system you still have a points & condenser distributor. As noted if you post a pic of your distributor we could tell what it is unless it is a stock one with a Pertronix kit "inside" it

Assuming your car runs fine and is tuned for optimum performance as is than things like a different cam & heads will add more power....assuming your motor is not already built with them
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 12:16 PM
Senior Tech
Robert

Garage

So many questions. The options are only restrained by your budget! What kind of intake does the car have? Does it have headers? What kind of transmission do you have?
When you say you want to help the car run better and get more horsepower, I assume that it doesn't sound like it isn't running properly, and just may need a tune up and some adjustments. Describe what the car is doing that you don't like, or that you want it to do better to help us better understand the situation. Pictures of under the hood would definitely help.

Is the car running fine, and you just want more hp? Because that's a whole different scenario.
What are your plans for the car? (street, strip, highway, cruising, car shows)

Tuning a car is a process, and the team here can help you achieve your goals, but we need to know what you want to do and what your budget is. I will happily spend your money for you and recommend things you don't need!

With the limited information given, and assuming you are not taking the motor out of the car and sending it to the machine shop (383!), your biggest bang for the buck is stuff that is going to help the car breath better. I.E intake and exhaust.

I ask because I have a stock 69 SS350 with a 4 speed that pulls hard in every gear. Could it use more hp? sure, but I love it just the way it is! But I have driven a big block car that couldn't get out of its own way, because everything under the hood was wrong for that motor (intake, cam, gearing, etc). So help us help you spend your money!
Everett#2390 likes this.

AKXtreme
69 Camaro L48 SS350
M20 4spd
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by akxtreme View Post
So many questions. The options are only restrained by your budget! What kind of intake does the car have? Does it have headers? What kind of transmission do you have?
When you say you want to help the car run better and get more horsepower, I assume that it doesn't sound like it isn't running properly, and just may need a tune up and some adjustments. Describe what the car is doing that you don't like, or that you want it to do better to help us better understand the situation. Pictures of under the hood would definitely help.

Is the car running fine, and you just want more hp? Because that's a whole different scenario.
What are your plans for the car? (street, strip, highway, cruising, car shows)

Tuning a car is a process, and the team here can help you achieve your goals, but we need to know what you want to do and what your budget is. I will happily spend your money for you and recommend things you don't need!

With the limited information given, and assuming you are not taking the motor out of the car and sending it to the machine shop (383!), your biggest bang for the buck is stuff that is going to help the car breath better. I.E intake and exhaust.

I ask because I have a stock 69 SS350 with a 4 speed that pulls hard in every gear. Could it use more hp? sure, but I love it just the way it is! But I have driven a big block car that couldn't get out of its own way, because everything under the hood was wrong for that motor (intake, cam, gearing, etc). So help us help you spend your money!

for some reason I cant post pics
so here is a link to the car I bought
https://www .ebay .com/itm/1969-Chevrolet-Camaro-SS-350-EFI-AUTO-PS-PDB-TACH-GAUGES/193172056454?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2060353.m1438.l2649

intake - the listing when I bought the car said performance intake
headers - no
exhaust - Pypes Performance Exhaust SGF60S
transmission - automatic - the one that has 3-2-1 in the shifter
the car does run good has a oil leek but its in the shop now getting that fixed they are also going to tune the car as the shop said it could use that - trusted classic car shop also replacing the starter

when I said I wanted the car to run better and get more power - i meant here that if there is anything you can do to help it ruin better more like as modern car - and Yes I would like to add more power with out doing any major modifications

plans for the car
weekend driver - would like to take it on the high way, causing and to go to car shows - I dont expect to win anything just attend

budget is open as I will do things over time - I do not want to do an engineerings swap or take it out of the car

intake - If the one in the pics is more standard I would like to add this to the car - does anyone know any I should look at getting
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 03:43 AM
John

Garage

The link is no good.

Hereís the listing

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F193172056454

Not much help in determining what you have. Reads 350 strong running and thatís about it other than a aluminum intake unknown make and model and I did notice an aftermarket oil pan.

May or may not have a cam. Sniper EFI, No headers, guessing stock iron heads.

Rebuilt? When? And what was done?

Without additional info the only way I know is to start taking it apart to see what you have.

Personally I would drive it like it is or buy a new crate 383 or sbc 400

Short of that you can install Aluminum heads, cam, headers and hope you donít blow out the bottom end.
akxtreme likes this.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

Last edited by Vega$69; Dec 4th, 19 at 05:02 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 07:38 AM
Bill

Adam,

Please don't take this the wrong way It is obvious from your questions that you really need someone more knowledgeable to help you out with this car.

First of all, let us know where you are located.

Once we know that, somebody should be able to suggest someone close to you that can look the car over for you and give you some idea of what you have and what may or may not be an improvement. Then you can make a plan on what to do.

You mentioned that you would like the car to run more like a modern vehicle ? In what way do you mean that ? The way the engine starts and runs ? The way the car drives and handles ? The amount of power it has ? Etc.
SoCal805 likes this.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 09:17 AM
Senior Tech

Adam

Your car is 50 years old with a possible replacement engine at some point in its life. The 10 bolt rear end, if original to car, would mean it is not a SS other than badging

ebay listing says it has a "cam"...although no specs for the cam. The EFI is a +

Having a shop "tune it" will assure it is operating as good as it can for what it is

If you want this car to drive, perform and handle like a "modern car"....you will spend as much as the listing $ to do a LSx engine, 5-6 speed manual or OD automatic, 12 bolt rear, entire suspension change. Less if you are capable of installing those significant modifications yourself.

IMHO just get the car "sorted" in terms of its current motor, trans & suspension (read service engine/tune-up, change fluids, hoses, belts as needed and fix any leaks) and drive it.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 09:32 AM
John

Garage

I have no idea what you paid for the car.

With your list of wants sometimes it's better to sell what you have and buy one that has more of the things you've come to find you want. At least from a budget stand point.

If you look forward to the journey then as mentioned figure out what you have and develop a plan to get their.

The car looks nice. With a 350 and EFI, TH350 and the 3.31 rear is should be good around town and descent at highway speeds
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

guys I am located in Boca Raton fl
I am happy with the way the car drives now - I just like to improve it over time
I am going bto update the suspension with the Ridetech street grip kit

down the rd I will update to a 12 bolt rear end
possibly new cam and headers

again I dob like how its driving I was just asking what improvements I can add to make it a better car

I am going to slowly upgrade and restore the car

thanks
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 02:24 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Brown View Post
guys I am located in Boca Raton fl
I am happy with the way the car drives now - I just like to improve it over time
I am going bto update the suspension with the Ridetech street grip kit

down the rd I will update to a 12 bolt rear end
possibly new cam and headers

again I dob like how its driving I was just asking what improvements I can add to make it a better car

I am going to slowly upgrade and restore the car

thanks
The StreetGrip is a very good upgrade and a good start on your long term plan.

No reason really to change out to a 12 Bolt as what you have is working. If not broken no reason to fix.

I would probably do the headers 1st as you are looking at changing up the exhaust at this time.

Plus when it sounds better it seems like you're going faster as well
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode