Fuel tank setup; experience and opinions please - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Fuel tank setup; experience and opinions please

I wasn't sure where to put this since there isn't exactly a fueling forum.

So as a base, I do not even have a tank so I'm starting from scratch. I'm fueling a 6.0 LS that will be 450 hp range using Holley Terminator X management system and 42 lb/hr injectors.

I ran across the Aeromitve setup which a nice package at a good price and I can get an extra discount on it right now. I haven't read or heard much about this setup and what people think of it.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F264554324928

Alternatively I have been talking with Carl at Vaporworx about modifying a stock tank and using his adapter pieces to convert a 2010-2015 Camaro fuel pump to 60 psi mechanical regulation. The advantage to this is a GM fuel pump readily available anywhere; and the elimination of need to run a return line. Not a huge deal in the scheme of things but an added benefit. Pricing this out I could get it done for $50-70 more than the Aeromotive setup.

So, which way would you guys go?

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 12:10 PM
John

Garage
Re: Fuel tank setup; experience and opinions please

The Aeromotive tank requires modifying the trunk pan to install it.

The top of the pump is mounted about the top of the tank. The tank is mount tight to the bottom of the trunk right where the pump is installed.

So trunk pan has to be raised in that area. You could raise and install an access door or panel.

I use the Tanks Inc set up. No trunk mod needed and the Walbro pumps are available at most auto parts stores.
350sshugger likes this.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 12:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

What John said. I used the bevel corner tank from Tanks Inc. I also put in a hatch for convenience.
350sshugger likes this.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 01:38 PM
Team Member
Don

The fifth gen Camaro fuel module is the way to go imho. Reliable and works down to very low fuel levels due to the built in fuel bucket. There’s a reason why GM uses those pumps....

I wouldn’t use an Aeromotive setup if it was given to me. Seriously.....

Don
350sshugger likes this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 04:29 PM
John

Garage

The 5th Gen Pump is great but relatively expensive with the PWM controller etc. Last I added it up was about $2500.

The Tanks uses Walbro pumps which are the OEM pump on lots of cars and trucks. Cost is about $550.

I used this set op on LS2, LS3 and LS7 swaps and have not had any issues whatsoever.

Yes may be an issue if your are trying to run on very low fuel levels in hard turning situations. But who runs their tank down close to empty and is running spirited driving in the turns.

I know of a few Optima Challenge guys that run the Tanks Inc. without issues.

That said I need to get up to speed on PWM control.
350sshugger likes this.

69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Thanks for all the responses. Don, I think you've talked me into the 5th gen setup which I was leaning toward anyway. Had a bad experience with Aeromotive? I've never used their stuff so no first hand knowledge.

John I talked with Carl about PWM too. He also sells the controller so it can be done, but its overkill for what I have. If you get his regulator adapter and regulator you can convert it to mechanical control and nix the PWM. That's what I'm thinking of doing. If I'm careful on purchasing components I'll be right around the price of the Tanks kit, and can save the extra in not running the return and corvette fuel filter/regulator. Both are good options but just the way I'm leaning.

Thanks for the feedback. A lot of times it helps just to talk things out.
dhutton likes this.

My Build Thread

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 05:03 PM
John

Garage

Good luck and keep us posted.

69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 08:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350sshugger View Post
Thanks for all the responses. Don, I think you've talked me into the 5th gen setup which I was leaning toward anyway. Had a bad experience with Aeromotive? I've never used their stuff so no first hand knowledge.

John I talked with Carl about PWM too. He also sells the controller so it can be done, but its overkill for what I have. If you get his regulator adapter and regulator you can convert it to mechanical control and nix the PWM. That's what I'm thinking of doing. If I'm careful on purchasing components I'll be right around the price of the Tanks kit, and can save the extra in not running the return and corvette fuel filter/regulator. Both are good options but just the way I'm leaning.

Thanks for the feedback. A lot of times it helps just to talk things out.
I too talked to Carl and did exactly what you are doing - couple of pics in my build thread. I bought a factory pump through Summit, already had a brand new factory tank and purchased the insert, retaining ring and regulator from Vaporworx. I think all in I am about $900.00. Wiring is simple and should work well.
350sshugger likes this.

1969 Camaro - a gift from the brother-in-law build thread
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 08:00 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Hey Matt, Why aren't you looking at the Spectra? It's the tank I'm running and I love it. I'm running the fuel injection tank even though I have a carb because I wanted the in tank pump. It's performed flawlessly.

https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premi...evrolet+Camaro

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1 AED 950 carb
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 08:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

This is what I am using. It might not be right for you, but it is an example of
one of the options available.

Ricks restomod tank 15091 $384 includes straps, fuel module locking ring and gas cap. No mods to your car. Bolts right up. 18 gallons.
Gas tank fuel level sending unit 10090 $109 Tube style, or you can use the one on the fuel module. Tube style is supposed to be accurate.
Fuel Module AC Delco MU2101 $210 (Camaro ZL1 fuel pump, includes O rings) No need for an external fuel filter.
Vapor Worx PWM controller 443.35

Total: $1146.35 The prices includes shipping to my house.

A bit overkill now, but if you increase the power of the engine, the fuel system is ready needing no future modifications.

The Vapor Worx website is very frustrating. There is a lot of general theory but nothing specific how the controller works. If you talk to Carl about what type of control algorithms are used, he gets very quiet. The instructions are very good that come with the unit. They are not on the website. The quality of the wiring far exceeds my AAW wiring harness.
dhutton likes this.

Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you car parts which is bout the same thang.
Patrick

Last edited by tp_smith; Dec 9th, 19 at 08:59 AM.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 11:02 AM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkX66 View Post
Hey Matt, Why aren't you looking at the Spectra? It's the tank I'm running and I love it. I'm running the fuel injection tank even though I have a carb because I wanted the in tank pump. It's performed flawlessly.

https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premi...evrolet+Camaro
Those tanks were notorious for starvation issues when cornering etc. You will never see it in a carbureted application like yours. The fuel bowls are like little surge tanks.

Don

1959 El Camino project

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 11:20 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Those tanks were notorious for starvation issues when cornering etc. You will never see it in a carbureted application like yours. The fuel bowls are like little surge tanks.

Don
I'm not following you Don. "Surge tanks"? First time I've heard about starvation issues with my particular tank. Why would you never see it with a carb? It's a nice tank, baffled, with an internal fuel pump. All it needs for a carb is a regulator with a return. It's been working very well for over a year.

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 11:25 AM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkX66 View Post
I'm not following you Don. "Surge tanks"? First time I've heard about starvation issues with my particular tank. Why would you never see it with a carb? It's a nice tank, baffled, with an internal fuel pump. All it needs for a carb is a regulator with a return.
The fuel bowls serve as fuel buffers to carry through periods of fuel pump starvation.

Surge tanks were commonly used in EFI fuel systems to deal with fuel pump starvation during cornering etc.

Spectra may have resolved their issue. My point is a carbureted application is not sufficient to determine if that is the case.

I am not dissing your tank, I am sure it is fine for a carbureted application. I am just not convinced it would be a wise choice for an EFI application based on your application. Data from EFI applications is needed.

The baffles I saw in their tanks looked like little baking pans and really weren’t effective at all. And yes, I had one.

Don

1959 El Camino project

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 11:45 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
The fuel bowls serve as fuel buffers to carry through periods of fuel pump starvation.

Surge tanks were commonly used in EFI fuel systems to deal with fuel pump starvation during cornering etc.

Spectra may have resolved their issue. My point is a carbureted application is not sufficient to determine if that is the case.

I am not dissing your tank, I am sure it is fine for a carbureted application. I am just not convinced it would be a wise choice for an EFI application based on your application. Data from EFI applications is needed.

The baffles I saw in their tanks looked like little baking pans and really weren’t effective at all. And yes, I had one.

Don
I suspect any fuel starvation issues you may have had were from an early model tank. The baffles are full size in my tank and in any new ones I'm sure. Here's a pic. I'll leave it at that for Matt's thread.

Spectra_FP_2_ACDelco_001a by Dave H, on Flickr

Semper Fi!

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 12:09 PM
Team Member
Don

A little light reading for those who are interested. It seems Spectra does donuts in the snow to test their tanks.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/56-pr...any-fixes.html

Sorry to be a butthead but once a company burns me with poor engineering I am reluctant to trust them again without real data.

Don

1959 El Camino project

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode