Team Camaro Tech banner

Anybody using the GM Performance SP383 Crate Engine

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  flat tire 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have an SP383 GM Performance crate engine with less than 500 miles on it.
When I first got the engine (new), I did a complete flush of the cooling passages and found that a lot of Block casting sand was being flushed out.

I have the recommended Holly 770 CFM Carb installed. Engine runs hot and the exhaust will burn yours eyes.

GM recommends only using mechanical advance with the vacuum disconnected and plugged.

Engine runs good, just runs hot on warm days.

I will be improving the cooling system this spring.

Any suggestions on the exhaust issue? Carb is brand new. I can try to have it tuned to see if that helps the exhaust issue.

Should I think about using a fuel additive to increase the octane level? Currently using 93 octane pump gas.

Nothing like coming home smelling like exhaust.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like it needs a good time. Timing and carb. That could help with the heating issue too.

#4 ·
Hi Vega$69,

This is straight from their Start-up and Break-in Procedures section step 4.

4. Start the engine and adjust the initial timing. If using an HEI distributor, set spark timing at 32 degrees before top dead center
(BTDC) at 4,000 RPM with the vacuum advance line to the distributor disconnected and plugged. The vacuum advance
canister should remain disconnected. This engine is designed to operate using only the internal centrifugal advance to
achieve the correct timing curve. Rotate the distributor counterclockwise to advance the timing. Rotate the distributor
clockwise to retard the timing.

Thanks,

Ken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.