• 1 Post By BRICO69
  • 1 Post By SoCal805
  • 1 Post By mlicker
  • 2 Post By adjudimo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Engine and transmission remove

Hit a snag with this and want to make sure Iím not missing something simple. Taking the 350 and Muncie 4 speed out of my 68. Everything is disconnected and the shift handle is off. But the rest of the shifter is snagging on the hole in the floor. I tried to take the crossmember out so the back of the trans could come down but it will not come out with the trans in place. The floor is releaved for the cross member and it wonít move forward or backward out of that notch in the floor. It seems a need to take the shifter off the trans to get it to clear. Thatís not all bad because I am putting a new one on anyway but it would be a lot easier to do with the trans out of the car.

So, what am I missing? Do I really need to take the shifter off to get it all out or is there a way to get the crossmember out that I am just not seeing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 07:42 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Garage
Re: Engine and transmission remove

The cross member should come out. Your floor may be tweaked down a little so the crossmember is "stuck" and won't clear the floor. Jack up the tranny a bit to get it off the crossmember and try to convince it to come out. Also remove the mount from the tranny to gain a little more room. I'm thinking it will be nearly impossible to get the engine and tranny out and even worse, back in without removing the crossmember.
cnorton7311 likes this.

69 Hugger Orange 396 M20 3:31
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks Brico, we were heading that way last night but Iíd been working on it all night anyways beat so we had a bourbon instead.

I found some other details on the forum after posting my question that gives me some insight. The body bushing are original so probably complete collapsed.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/27-tr...ossmember.html

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 08:18 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce1968 View Post
I found some other details on the forum after posting my question that gives me some insight. The body bushing are original so probably complete collapsed.
Collapsed body mounts will narrow the gap between floor pan & X member. You can use a BFH and beat the DS towards rear to get the x member out. Been there and done that....then I replaced body mounts.
flat tire likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 09:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal805 View Post
Collapsed body mounts will narrow the gap between floor pan & X member. You can use a BFH and beat the DS towards rear to get the x member out. Been there and done that....then I replaced body mounts.

Even with new mounts mine is too tight. I had to loosen the aft body mount bolt and beat on it with a big mallet. I've had my trans in and out a half dozen times, and it gets easier due to the "experience," but still requires the same process. It will come out with a BFH.
flat tire likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 11:55 AM
R66
Senior Tech
Ron

Put the car on jack stands - rear on differential and front at the very front of the subframe where the bumper connects on both sides. That will let the back of the subframe drop down enough to minimize the use of the BFH. I have also loosened the two rear bolts holding the subframe a couple of turns.
Never had a Gen 1 that I didn't have to use a hammer to get the cross member out.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks everyone. The hammer did the job. And it wasnít even the BF model.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 05:46 PM
Tech Team
Donnie

The way I did mine was to loosen the body mount bolt in the rear of subframe (pick a side, it does not matter). Get a long bar and pry subframe down. Then slide crossmember back on that side and it will drop far enough to take crossmember out.

Camaro Donnie
1969 RS/SS Black 4 Speed Camaro Coupe
390 Gears with 410 CI small block
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 10:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Donnie View Post
The way I did mine was to loosen the body mount bolt in the rear of subframe (pick a side, it does not matter). Get a long bar and pry subframe down. Then slide crossmember back on that side and it will drop far enough to take crossmember out.
Seems like common sense to me.
And exactly what I did when I added an aftermarket crossmember. Then again when I added the the torque arm crossmember, even with welded subframe connectors!

Just get your prybar out, loosen rear subframe bolts, no problem.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 20, 06:25 AM
Senior Tech
J.R.

Garage

I made the BFH (LOL) remark on a post one time and my 8 year old nephew was standing by and ask what it stood for. I scratched my head and told him. Big Furry Hampster.
Johnny B and ctcz28 like this.

J.R.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 04:49 PM
Probationer

Had mine out multiple times within the past two years. First due to the 350TH needed rebuilt the the following year due to switched to a muncie. I recall that after I unbolted the tranny from the crossmember and the crossmember from the subframe all I had to do was jack up the transmission and the crossmember slid out with nothing more than a good palm strike
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 09:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Always removed the shifter. X member always needed BFH. Remember plug for the rear of the trans.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in