Team Camaro Tech banner

Engine Opinions

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  scblucam 
#1 ·
Okay been waiting a while to bring this up, and would like some opinions.
Bought the 68 in 1975 dropped in a 283 and M20 and more after that.

Circa 1985 what I have:
302 (Not DZ) 12.5:1, I think largest hydraulic cam Crane made in 1985 double hump heads cut to 2.02/1.90, 64 cc maybe a little less since surfaced port matched ti I think a Victor Junior single plane air gap and now a Demon 650. It is kind of a beast on the street and there is really nowhere near to have any fun, I personally redline it at 7500 rpm though it wants to keep going,

Fast forward to 2014:
Wanted to tone it down a bit to be more drivable. Got I think Brodix (Maybe Dart have to look back in the closet) 70cc aluminum heads to drop compression, retro roller lifters (no cam yet) timing cover with button and other stuff. Surprise injury(actually from 1981) and job change kind of nixed all this for a while.

Now 2020:
Now thinking about all of this and another employment issue and virus issue, should I keep my original plan in sight or think toward a crate 383? Maybe even go auto? I wont have $$ for LS for a long while or divorce which would negate all and may not be able to do original plan and just put up with the beast.

Have too much time to think right now.

See less See more
#2 ·
Okay been waiting a while to bring this up, and would like some opinions.
Bought the 68 in 1975 dropped in a 283 and M20 and more after that.

Circa 1985 what I have:
302 (Not DZ) 12.5:1, I think largest hydraulic cam Crane made in 1985 double hump heads cut to 2.02/1.90, 64 cc maybe a little less since surfaced port matched ti I think a Victor Junior single plane air gap and now a Demon 650. It is kind of a beast on the street and there is really nowhere near to have any fun, I personally redline it at 7500 rpm though it wants to keep going,

Fast forward to 2014:
Wanted to tone it down a bit to be more drivable. Got I think Brodix (Maybe Dart have to look back in the closet) 70cc aluminum heads to drop compression, retro roller lifters (no cam yet) timing cover with button and other stuff. Surprise injury(actually from 1981) and job change kind of nixed all this for a while.

Now 2020:
Now thinking about all of this and another employment issue and virus issue, should I keep my original plan in sight or think toward a crate 383? Maybe even go auto? I wont have $$ for LS for a long while or divorce which would negate all and may not be able to do original plan and just put up with the beast.

Have too much time to think right now.

1985 threw up a brick wall for you. Maybe you should stay with that combo. I did pretty much the same as you did back in 1975, except for a Tarantula, a 750 dbl pump, the 140 cam and 4.88's. Love the revs hit 7500 to 7800 with no issues. A friend had a 67 Chevy II with the same set up. It was more of a beast in the Nova. I do miss that Sunoco 260.

#3 ·
More displacement will cure all your ills.

You can keep the cam as it will be tamed down with more cubes; and the added cubes feeds more bottom end torque to make it more streetable.

If you could find a SBC 400 and rebuild it with just flat top pistons, rings, and bearings it would not only get you by, but may be the answer to all of your prayers. Finding a good rebuildable SBC 400 out of a pick up or full size car is just not as easy as it used to be, and requires looking at same in neighborhoods where cars parked beside garages or light trucks up on blocks in the yard are more common than in the city.

You have time now if not the money, but every one is in the same boat.

Big Dave

#4 ·
How about a 400 short block from Shafiroff or Blue Print, and bolt on the rest from what you have? LS would be nice, but a lot of money and work and I just can't get past having to dump my perfectly good headers, radiator, etc. adding a lot to the cost of an LS swap.

#5 ·
You have time now if not the money, but every one is in the same boat.
Yep had health insurance when I didn't need it. Need to get on wife's insurance end of month. I'm in an industry that is somewhat limited and with the current situation nobody is making a move. May end up as greeter at Wallyworld.

#6 ·
Was kind of wondering what you thought of the difference in compression with the 70 cc heads. The only info missing off the build sheet is the down in the hole dimension. I assume it was zero decked giving it a true 12.5:1 static compression. Going to the 70 cc would drop to the 10+ range with the calculators I used in the past. The available retro roller cams could still keep most of the power it has now (About 450) and be more street friendly. Really hate to tear into a really solid motor. BUT. Well You know. Also have a fresh M20 in a Autogear case with ball bearing side cover to go back in. Too much time.

#8 ·
Scott, I'm getting the impression that you'd really like to keep the 302 but I think some of the recommendations mentioned are to increase the stroke up from 3.00".
Do you have a budget that you're working with? What about those after market cylinder heads, specs? 200cfm on the intake side? Rear end gearing?

A consideration might be is to use a lot of your existing parts and maybe purchase a balanced rotating assembly & cam like this.
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sca-1-40510bi/make/chevrolet
https://www.lunatipower.com/voodoo-retro-fit-hydraulic-roller-cam-chevrolet-small-block-282-290.html
Of course you can save a few bucks by building it yourself or spend a some more to have someone build it for you. Maybe even selling some of the stuff you aren't gonna use to recoup from the overall costs.

Whichever way you slice it either you keep the short stroker and wind her up or spend some money get a longer lever in there. You're call..... you're money.

#9 ·
Simon, you are kind of correct. I really hate to tear into the short block. It was built circa 1985 but only has probably less than 4000 miles. The Heads are aluminum (Brodix or Dart-Packed away in the closet), 180 cc ports 70 cc chambers 3:73 gears. Sudden job loss has kind of changed my focus. Something I have wanted to do, amassed a bunch of parts had an injury actually from 81 but the crushed discs in my neck didn't show up until much later. Something tells me this may not happen. At least on the back burner for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.