Team Camaro Tech banner

Can you pull a big block AND trans on a first gen?

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  flat tire 
#1 ·
Hey there, has anyone pulled their big block and trans together as one unit in a first gen? I feel like there's not much room. It's a 396 and a TH400. I have the radiator removed, and the accessories (aside from water pump, but could pull that too) off the front of the engine. I don't have an issue pulling the trans, but it just seems much easier to pull it as one if the space would allow for it.

Also, anyone able to pull without removing the wiper motor? Or should I just take that off anyway?

Thanks and sorry if these are silly questions.

-Bryan

#2 ·
You can pull both as one unit, just bag the trans output as oil will drain out when the unit is tilted.
Be careful and take it slow and watch everything. Ensure the hoist can handle the weight of both along with lifting chain/device - FIRST.
It can be done. If a bit of doubt, and for your peace of mind, if need be, split the two and pull.
Extra ork, but you can remove radiator support in gaining some room. Just coat bolt threads with anti-seize when going together for later removal in later life.

#7 ·
Make sure your crane is up to the task... that s a lot of weight & it is rather long. Be aware that the extra length will alter the center of gravity of the engine crane because the trans is way out past the hook. The extra trans length can make the crane flip if the bottom legs/wheel are not extended enough (assuming they are adjustable). Mine were not & I had to add a few hundred lbs of weight to the pivot side of the crane base to make it stable. Having the engine crush your front valence & rad support will not be pretty.

#8 ·
It also helps to have a "load leveler" which allows you to balance the engine/trans and tilt the combo back when pulling and installing. Harbor freight sells them. Definitely helps to have radiator out of way but as many have said it can be done just take it a little at a time. It actually helps to get it past the last bit of the trans tunnel to angle the engine/trans left or right and that sometimes helps it clear. Same thing going in, angle a little for the first part of the tunnel and then it will start to tuck under and straighten up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.