Team Camaro Tech banner

Diffrences in tail pipe smoke color

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  SoCal805 
#1 ·
I went on a Corona Cruise where instead of just parking and hanging out like a regular cruise night you meet at a staging area and then follow each other over a pre-determined route. Nice canyon and coastal hwy cruise.

What I noticed as I followed different cars was some really stunk and had tail pipe smoke. Some black when they got on it. Some a slight light white/grey puff when decal. There was one car, 67-68 Mustang, that was rank. I had passed 2 cars in front of me thinking it was one of them but once behind the Mustang it was overwhelming so I backed off in the canyon until there was 2 lane through a tunnel (sounded great BTW flooring it) and once I passed the Mustang it finally smelled fine.

So would black smoke on hard acceleration be more rich condition or?

and would light puff on decal be more a valve seal or guide issue?

The one with the slight puff on decal was a friends 327 and he didn't know until I told him at the rest stop.

#3 ·
Black smoke indicates Pig Rich; blue white smoke is burnt motor oil, white smoke is steam and burnt coolant from a blown head gasket or a crack some where in the cylinder. (lots and lots of white smoke could be burning ATF from a ruptured vacuum modulator valve on the transmission).

Big Dave

#4 ·
Thanks guys. Pretty much what I figured. My friend said he can't see any smoke from drivers seat and I said its just a slight puff on decel I saw when following him. It was a very small quick puff. Didn't really see anything on acceleration when behind him, just decel.

He doesn't know if just O rings were used or if the umbrella seals were also put on back when the motor was rebuilt at least 20 years ago. Motor otherwise seems to run fine

That Mustang was just awful to get behind....and his LED sequential tail light were beyond annoying as they also did dual sequential when he hit the brakes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.