Want a little timing info - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 6th, 05, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question Want a little timing info

I just received my distributor back from Jerry M. after a rebuild (it looks brand new). According to his calibration report, centrifugal advance total is 22 deg. and the total advance is in at 2700 rpm. The total timing is 36 deg. at 3000 rpm. My question is: once installed do I need to be concerned with the total timing?
What I mean is, would I be better off to get a better timing light (one that you can dial in the timing) and set the total timing to 36 deg. at 3000 rpm?

Dave, member number 7704
2000 Dodge Viper GTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 6th, 05, 08:59 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Want a little timing info

Just put a mark on your balancer at 36 degrees BTDC and use a regular timing light.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 6th, 05, 09:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

easier yet, since you know the mech advance is 22, subtracting that from 36 gives us 14.

Set your initial timing (with the vacuam advance disconnected and plugged) to 14 degress and you're good to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 6th, 05, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the suggestions. Both of these suggestions mean that I need to mark the balancer in degrees to determine either of these measurements.

Dave, member number 7704
2000 Dodge Viper GTS
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 6th, 05, 02:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

the timing tab on your front cover is measured in degrees all ready, right?

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 6th, 05, 02:50 PM
Senior Tech

You don't need any special measuring equipment to make a 36 BTDC mark on your balancer. Due to extraordinary planning by some old mathematicians, 36 degrees just happens to be one tenth of the circumference of the balancer. You can deduce the circumference of the balancer by direct measurement or by using the measured diameter and some high school math, circumference equals 3.14 times the diameter. After you have arrived at a circumference, shift the decimal one place to the left to divide it by ten, and you will have the measurement necessary to mark 36 degrees.

As an example, an 8" balancer has a circumference of about 25.12", shifting the decimal to the left gets us 2.512" BTDC as the place to put the 36 mark.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 7th, 05, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Jim, yes the timing tab is marked but I wasn't sure how many graduations it had. I haven't been able to do much since having surgery but I just looked at the tab. It has seven graduations on each side. So, if each increment is 2 degress that puts the last mark at 14 degrees.
onova... I am not mathematically challenged but I do appreciate the "ciphering" :-).

So it boils down to this, install the distributor and set the initial timing to 14 degrees instead of 4. Correct me if I am wrong.

Dave, member number 7704
2000 Dodge Viper GTS
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 7th, 05, 09:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

you are correct, drdave, and that last mark on your tab should be right there.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 7th, 05, 11:47 AM

For those of us with 6 3/4 balancers it's even easier. 6.75 x 3.14 gives us 21.195, divide by ten and round 5 ten thousanths and it's 2 1/10, the width of a piece of duct tape and a line from a whiteout brush. I'm ready to go get mine running now!

Last edited by Jimmybyrd; May 7th, 05 at 11:58 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 7th, 05, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

JimM, thanks a bunch. This info helps tremendously once I am physically able to do this.

Dave, member number 7704
2000 Dodge Viper GTS
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old May 7th, 05, 01:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

go get em, dave.... know what u mean, just took another muscle relaxer to get my back to settle down... I AM gonna paint this car today!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode