Time to Rebuild the 327 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 05, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lee

Time to Rebuild the 327

Im getting ready to pull my engine due to a bad blow by issue and since its out Im going to give her a upgrade so over the past few months Ive been thinking about my options. Ive been toying over some things and would like some advice. Im looking for at least 350 HP out of this upgrade so remember this in your suggestions. Car will be street driven for my weekend pleasaure, current gears are the stock 2.73's but will eventaly swap to somewhere between 3.31 and 3.42. Tranny is currently a stock 3 spd but will be looking to upgrade to a 5 spd.

Current engine is a 327 bored .30 over, has the -291 camelhump heads with the 2.02, 1.94 valves. First question is do I keep them as is or swap to the Edelbrock RPM heads im considering.

A new cam will be going in and have been thinking about the CC XE268H. This cam has a 224/230 duration @ .50. How this cam work with my current heads compared to Edelbrock RPM heads?

Current intake is a Edelbrock CB4, and would consider going to the Edelbrock RPM intake but Im hesitating becuase I dont know if the hood will shut or not since I dont have a cowl hood. Any one know if this is true?

As for my current carb its a Holley 4bl. Not sure what the exact cfm is but I want to switch to a double pump one. What what be the suggested CFM for my ideas listed above.

Lastly I already have Flowtech longtubes but after the engine is rebuilt and tuned I''ll select a new pair of ceramics. I was thinking the Thorley tri y.

These are my initial concerans right now and Im sure more will come as a tear into the engine. Thanks for all the suggestions in advance.

1968 Camaro with a 383 finally done and on the road!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 05, 05:50 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Time to Rebuild the 327

If you are going to completely go through the engine, and want 350 HP out of it, consider turning it into a 350. Not that 350 HP would be difficult out of a 327, just easier with the extra cubes of a 350. I doubt it would cost much more $$ IF you need a crank and pistons. If both are good as is, then I'd stay 327.

If 350 HP is your goal, I'd stick with the heads you have.

As to the hood clearance - I have a Performer RPM and a Holley 650 and my FLAT hood clears. It's close, but it clears. If I ever break a driver's side motor mount, I'm in trouble! Oh yeah, I use a GM drop-base air cleaner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 05, 05:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

if you're all ready .030 over, I'd for sure do some measuring to see if 040 will clean it up. some go 060 but it makes me nervous.

If you stroke it, go all the way... dart's selling a 383 cast internal balnce crank for a real decent price.

I vote for heads... they really woke up my ole 327.

ditto al on the hood clearance, won't be a problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 05, 07:02 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage

Go for the RPM intake you'll like it and it will fit. The heads can stay, no need to go to the RPM heads unless you feel like spending the extra cash. I didnt much care for the XE line so went with the CC270H, The 268H will be good as well. If you staying with the stock rockers with the present combo then I'd say no more than a 650, but that may be pushing it with those cams if going with a double pumper. I like the flowtech headers, I'm using the full length ceramics..They fit nice with no dings with power steering.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 7th, 05, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Lee

My bottem end Im hoping is just fine. The engine was rebuilt around 10 years ago but due to problems since then has no more then 5000 miles on it I imagine. Im going to take a look at every thing though just to make sure.

Im planning to swap out the rockers and go with what ever accomadates the cam I select. Nantooch, what was it that wasnt good about the XE line? Im open for other cams so if you think others yeild better performance then I can be easily swayed.

With the 270H cam, what gears would be recommended to use since it said to use low gears?

Also, 350HP is just my basline goal, the closer I can get to 400HP the happier I will be. Is it possible to get there with the doublehump heads? I guess I could always build the engine with the heads I got and If Im looking for a little more out of it swap to the Performer RPM heads. I just figured what ever cam I selected takes into consideration what heads Im going to run?

1968 Camaro with a 383 finally done and on the road!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 7th, 05, 10:25 AM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage

Bowtie, The EX cams are a bit harder on the motor is all..
Getting 350hp should be easy.. I'm pushing over 400 with mine

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode