68 327 Questions - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old May 6th, 05, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

68 327 Questions

Now that the rain has mostly moved out of the midwest, I'm beginning to look at the 327 in my "new" '68.

I bought a hardbound Chiltons off ebay for the original specs. I'm picking up a 68 AIM tommorow.

I changed the plugs to AC R45's, gapped at .035". Bought a set of Taylor wires from Summit. The passenger side wires are way too long. I left them on as they are much better than the originals. Started the engine and it sounds a lot better.

Question: Does anyone have pics of the factory routing and attachment
points for the spark plug wiring on a 327?

I noticed the cooling fan/pulley is wobbling and will have to be looked at. It has the finned clutch style fan.

Question: Is this stock for a 68 327? I don't think so. Will it hurt the engine if
I get it fixed and leave it on? Seems to me it'll help warmups

I noticed the alternator pulley is not in line with the pump/crankshaft pulley.

Question: Are there supposed to be spacers between the alternator and
bracket for alignment purposes?

I noticed I have an Edelbrock 4 barrel carb #1405 2892. It looks new. I've never had an Edelbrock.

Questions: Is this the right carb for a 300HP engine?
Is it hard to tune?

Well, that's all my questions for now. Thanks for any replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old May 6th, 05, 06:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: 68 327 Questions

wow, lotsa questions... let's see what i can do...

plug wire routing will be pictured (poorly) in the aim. The talyors i bought were cut to fit and crimp your own terminals...

The clutch fan would not be original on a 327 without a/c, but may be if you have air.
Those clutches get old and nasty, might need replacing.

Look at the pulley for sure. I have a spare 2 groove if you need it. Could be water pump, too.

There is a sliding sleeve in the rear alt. mount hole. You can washer the front if you need to move it back a lil. Alos possible it's been apart and the harmonic balancer wasn't shved back on all the way. If the car has headers, those adapter brackets they give you are horrible, but they are adjustable.

After 5 years, I've finally gotten to know my edelbrock, and I like it fine. Edelbrock sells a tuning kit with metering rods, springs, jets, and instructions. If those and the advance curve are right, it will run nice. The carb is real easy to deal with, you can take the top off without spilling gas, and the metering rods and spring can be changed just by pulling the air cleaner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode