3-way crank gear any ideas - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 6th, 05, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

3-way crank gear any ideas

I bought a 350 from a guy and wanted to change the cam in it. I tore into it and didn,t pay any attention, to the chain and gear ,how ever they looked new,when I got my new cam in, and went to put the chain and gear on I noticed the crank gear had 3 key ways in it. Keep in mind I did not pull the crank gear off, when ever I put the cam dot and the crank dot together N0.1 piston is not at TDC,however if I turn the crank 4 teeth counting the one with the dot there is another dot and then N0.1 is at TDC,also on the crank gear it has 2 deg stamped on it. Do I need another chain and gears or set this up with NO 1 at tdc and the keyway dot is at about 1,o clock and the other dot is lined up. Also if this is the way it was with the other cam is it a match to the cam or will also work with mine. I think I understand they are advancing the timing 2 deg but I can,t get it in my head I,am so used to the crank keyway being straight up, any help on this, I,AM ready to put the motor in as soon I figure this out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 7th, 05, 02:09 PM
Senior Tech

Re: 3-way crank gear any ideas

Mine is the same way and I just lined up the dots.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 7th, 05, 05:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

my new comp cams timing set came with a sheet that said which dot goes with which keyway, and it was a lil confusing to figure out. Maybe you can download that sheet? or for sure wait for someone who's memory is better than mine to chime in. This is not something that can be done wrong and work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 8th, 05, 07:21 AM
Senior Tech

The keyways are for changing the advance/retard in the cam. If you have an engine TDC verifier you can see how it works. You can also get what I mean from a Cloyes timing gear set. I might be confusing you more but one of the emission cures was to grind in a different degree in the cam that can't be changed without a new cam or a timing set like Cloyes. By trying the different slots you will see what I mean when you check the TDC against the timing marks. You will definitely need a TDC stop of some sort, either homemade or a brass type from Jegs or Summit. An example is one of my Crane cams has 4 degrees advance ground in that can be verified using the method I just described. I hope I haven't got you even more confused.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 9th, 05, 05:41 PM
Team Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by hideaway
I noticed the crank gear had 3 key ways in it. Keep in mind I did not pull the crank gear off, when ever I put the cam dot and the crank dot together N0.1 piston is not at TDC,however if I turn the crank 4 teeth counting the one with the dot there is another dot and then N0.1 is at TDC,also on the crank gear it has 2 deg stamped on it. Do I need another chain and gears or set this up with NO 1 at tdc and the keyway dot is at about 1,o clock and the other dot is lined up.
If it's a Cloyes timing set, the dot or zero is straight up, the square is two degrees retarded, and the triangle is two degrees advanced (at least that's the way they used to be).

In any event, if you set it up dot-to-dot (crank sprocket dot at 12 o'clock and cam sprocket dot at 6 o'clock), you will NOT be at #1 TDC - you'll be at #6 TDC; when you turn the crank 360 degrees from there (crank sprocket dot still at 12 o'clock, but cam sprocket dot at 12 o'clock), you'll be at #1 TDC.

JohnZ
CRG
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 9th, 05, 06:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ
If it's a Cloyes timing set, the dot or zero is straight up, the square is two degrees retarded, and the triangle is two degrees advanced (at least that's the way they used to be).
That's it! there's dots n squares and stuff on both the keyway AND the gear tooth. you match em up, and they don't go by the tooth thats closest to the key

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 9th, 05, 06:16 PM
Bill

hide,
Personally I wish they had never invented those things ! I had a customer bring me a new set of Aluminum heads today that have a nbunch of bent exhaust valves. He could not figure out why. I asked him if he had a three keyway timing set and the answer was yes. Once I shoiwed him the correct way to install it, he realized that he had it wrong and thats what bent the valves.
Basically there are three keyway slots, and three corresponding "dots" On the Cloyes sets there is a "round" keyway and dot, a "square" keyway and dot and a "triangle" keyway and dot. The "rounded" keyway is the "normal" one ... no advance or retard. It is used with the round "dot". If you dont understand this, then take the set to your machine shop and have them show you the correct way.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 9th, 05, 06:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

darn thing confused me for almost 15 minutes....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode