Removing Driver's Side Header 69 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 8th, 05, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
John

Removing Driver's Side Header 69

I'm removing both hooker headers on my 69 Z28 to get them ceramic coated. The passenger side went real smooth. The driver's side is hanging up. I have the car lifted up and I'm trying to take the header out the bottom.
Any suggestions?

Also, the headers have some surface rust near the collectors but look brand new otherwise. Still appear solid with no pin holes. I hoping the ceramic coating will adhere and look decent. Anyone had any luck with ceramic coating older headers. Surface prep is the probably key in making them last.

John
69 Cortez Silver Z28
Bel Air, Maryland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 8th, 05, 06:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Removing Driver's Side Header 69

The header should drop out the bottom no problem. Did you take the clutch z-bar off? Where is it hitting? are they comps or super comps, and what size tube?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 8th, 05, 06:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I found that I needed to remove the oil filter, z-bar ,dip stick, spark plugs and power steering box in my case. Did not have to remove a manual PS box. It sure is fun.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 8th, 05, 06:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

mine slipped out of the top.???

then again I dont have power steering (robs horsepower)

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 8th, 05, 08:02 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Remove the driver's side motor mount and jack the engine up (safely, of course) and the header should come out through the bottom.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 8th, 05, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
John

I took the clutch linkage off and removed the spark plugs. Not sure which hooker headers they are. The tubes are about 1 3/4" in diameter. I'm trying to take them out the bottom and they are tight against the power steering gear box. I guess I'll take the steering box loose and see if that works.

John
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 8th, 05, 01:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

maybe you need a little more angle? how high is the car?

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 8th, 05, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
John

Finally got it out. Wow, it was much tougher than the passenger side. I had to take off the little clutch linkage pivot piece that is threaded into the engine block and also the temp sensor. Turned the steering wheel a little to one side and was able to get it out the bottom.

Luckily I was able to get it out without taking off the steering unit and I didn't have to jack up the engine. I may end up doing this when I reinstall them so I minimize scratches in the ceramic coated finish. Appreciate everyone's suggestions.

John
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 8th, 05, 06:14 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

FWIW,

My father sent his old headers to jet-hot to get coated, and while they looked nice the pitting never went away. I guess it depends on how bad yours are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode