67 SS starting problem - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old May 8th, 05, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

67 SS starting problem

I just picked up a 67 SS convertable that has not been started in about 8 years. I have put oil in the cylinders and turned it over by hand. I put a new battery in it and tried to start it, but nothing. I have power, but it almost seems that it might be a nuetral saftey switch, but not sure. I don't so much engine work, so I'm looking to the good world of Camaro owners out there to help me. I am new to Camaros, so be nice. If I could get some helpful tips, that would be great.
Thanks,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old May 8th, 05, 10:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: 67 SS starting problem

could be a bad starter, or the nuetral safty switch. You can access the switch, it's on the horseshoe shifter itself, take the cover off, 2 big wires, one purple, one purple with a white stripe. If you don't even get a click when you turn the key, that switch is probably your culprit, could be a frozen soldenoid too tho.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old May 8th, 05, 07:54 PM
Senior Tech

run a jumper wire from the hot side of the battery to the + side of the coil toss a 1/2 cup of gas down the carb and crank it and see if it tries to fire...dont leave the jumper wire on for to long it's just a quick test to see if it wants to start before you really trouble shoot the system.

'67 RS/SS 350
'67 SS 350

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old May 8th, 05, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

thanks for the help guys, i will put your info to the test on monday. maybe you can give me a little more info on the car. i picked this car up for $10,000.
it has the original running gear, i've checked all the #'s out and they all match. everything is in fairly good shape except the carpet and top. it also needs lower quarters. The paint isn't to bad and will last for a few more years. the question is, did i pay to much? I bought it from a friend of mine who was a camaro famatic 20 years ago and he said that it ran well when he parked it. i will try and get a picture of the car soon.
thank, steve
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old May 9th, 05, 07:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

hard to say without seeing it, but I'd assume you will get it started, it will probably run ok, and 10g's for a presentable SS convertible is a steal.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old May 9th, 05, 05:21 PM
Team Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea
I just picked up a 67 SS convertable that has not been started in about 8 years. I have put oil in the cylinders and turned it over by hand. I put a new battery in it and tried to start it, but nothing. I have power, but it almost seems that it might be a nuetral saftey switch, but not sure. I don't so much engine work, so I'm looking to the good world of Camaro owners out there to help me. I am new to Camaros, so be nice. If I could get some helpful tips, that would be great.
Thanks,
Steve
Do you mean it cranks over but won't fire, or it won't crank? If it won't crank, jump the big battery cable stud on the solenoid to the outboard small terminal with a screwdriver and see if it cranks (that bypasses the neutral safety switch).

JohnZ
CRG
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old May 9th, 05, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

it won't even crank over.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old May 9th, 05, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

OK i got the starter to kick over, but it didn't sound like it turned the motor over. i have the spark plugs out of it right now, so that it will turn over easy. if the tourqu converter is low, would it not turn the motor over. thanks for the help, i am just a body man and not a machanic.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old May 9th, 05, 05:56 PM
Senior Tech
James

Send a message via Yahoo to james7773

The torque converter would not keep the engine from turning over. When the starter engages, does it make a grinding sound at all? If it does, perhaps the starter gear or flywheel are ate up. With the plugs out, or in for that matter, can you turn the engine over by hand? If not, perhaps the enigne is froze up? I doubt this is the case, but you never know.
James

My 67 RS 327...its a work in progress.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old May 9th, 05, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

no the starter doesn't grind, it spins great. i have also turned the motor over by hand and it turnes very easily. maybe the motor is turning and i just can't tell with that starter in my ear. i will have me son watch the fan to see if it turns at the same time.
thanks, steve
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old May 9th, 05, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

i got it to turn over, i was hitting the wrong stud and it wasn't engaging. now i need to know how to fix the nuetral safty swich. i am wondering if it isn't just corroded from sitting and needs cleaned off? do you need to change out the whole horseshoe shifter?
I have tried to find a camaro book to help me out, but none of the auto stores in my little town have them, so i have ordered one of the internet and it should be here in a few days. i will need to keep getting your help until then. thanks, steve
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old May 9th, 05, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

here are some pictures of my 67 SS conv.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/aichel...bum?.dir=/6276
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old May 9th, 05, 08:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

take off the four phillips screws and the shifter surround will come off (in 3 peices). The backup light switch and the nuetral switch are on the side of the shifter, easy access. The one you want has 2 big purpule wires. Easiest way to test is to unplg them and jumper em with a paper cilip/ Make sure it doesn't touvh anything.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old May 10th, 05, 05:44 AM
Senior Tech
Kyle

Ok I'm not sure if this will work for you but i had a car that wouldn't start while in park (auto transmission) but when i put it into neutral it would turn over no problem .. it turns out the wire that runs down to the transmission from the shifter and it stretches over time and needs adjustment

1969 Z/28 CLONE 350
4 SPD MUNCIE,
4 WHEEL DISK BRAKES,
4:11 POSI
BLUE W/WHITE STRIPES

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old May 10th, 05, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

i tried to start it in both neutral and in park. i am going to try and bypass the neutral saftey switch this morning. thanks, steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode