Coolant drain plug on block - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 9th, 05, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Coolant drain plug on block

I am having trouble getting one onf the coolant drain plugs out of the engine block. I tried heating it up, I have penetrating oil soaking in right now..but it wont budge. The other side came right out. I drilled out the center of the plug and am trying to get it out with an easy out, but no go. Anyone ever wrestle with one of these before and have a good tip on how to get it out. Engine is on a stand at the moment.

thanks

1973 RS Z28: 401ci Dart Little M, Littlefield 6-71 supercharger @14lbs boost, Callies Magnum crank, Lunati rods, JE pistons, 7.8:1, AFR 227 Comp heads, T&D 1.6 shaft rockers. Reed solid FT cam (240/[email protected]/.542 lift-112 LSA), QFT 750 carbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 9th, 05, 02:40 AM

Re: Coolant drain plug on block

PB blaster, blow torch, and a 24" breaker bar

I honestly thought i had broken off the bloody thing in the block, but it came out, just not very willingfully

might try a impact gun if ya have one?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 9th, 05, 04:36 AM
Banned

Try to find a a big nut and set it on the coolent plug and weld in the center of the nut and that will give you some thing to turn as this has worked for me several times with no problems and if worst comes to worst you may have to go 3/8 pipe plug as thats been done before as well.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 9th, 05, 08:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I ussually use an impact wrench, set to "stun" not "kill" They rattling will break up the rust, but don't apply so much torque that it breaks up the plug.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 9th, 05, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I drilled out the first easy out I broke off using sucessively bigger drill bits. I then heated it up the best I could with a propane torch and let it sit over night with penetrating oil. I then used the next bigger ez-out and snapped that right off.
I am afraid she aint comin' out and if I were to weld on a nut, I put be screwed further if she still doesn't come out and I got that thing weld on there.

One person suggested that I keep drilling out the center of the plug till most of the plug is gone, then tap on the side to get it to collapse on itself.

1973 RS Z28: 401ci Dart Little M, Littlefield 6-71 supercharger @14lbs boost, Callies Magnum crank, Lunati rods, JE pistons, 7.8:1, AFR 227 Comp heads, T&D 1.6 shaft rockers. Reed solid FT cam (240/[email protected]/.542 lift-112 LSA), QFT 750 carbs
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 9th, 05, 08:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: Coolant drain plug on block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Torquer
One person suggested that I keep drilling out the center of the plug till most of the plug is gone, then tap on the side to get it to collapse on itself.
That will work quite well "Torquer" - I do this all the time trying to get them out of marine/boat engines, they really get stuck in there after a few years of raw water on them...
You can then install a 'drain ****', like the ones used in the bottom of your radiator, to make draining the block much easier in the future.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 9th, 05, 09:45 AM

Angry Re: Coolant drain plug on block

Little buggers as well as the oil gallery plugs are bastad's ta get out!!

And I bought two new brass rad. drain petcocks for my BB but the drivers side's "T" handle hit my poly mount AND the pass. side was right behind my oil dip-stick tube so I had to use pipe plugs!!

AND of course, the packaging was toast so there they sit on my bench...

pdq67

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 9th, 05, 09:47 AM
Senior Tech
Kyle

You sound bitter pdq lol

1969 Z/28 CLONE 350
4 SPD MUNCIE,
4 WHEEL DISK BRAKES,
4:11 POSI
BLUE W/WHITE STRIPES

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 9th, 05, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Vintage 68,
do you mean welding the nut on works good.., or dilling out the center till it collapses?

mike

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 9th, 05, 03:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Torquer
Vintage 68,
... dilling out the center till it collapses?

mike
I'm a big fan of working my way out to the threads themselves with a step drill and/or progressively larger drill sizes.

If I was a 'world class' welder (He11 - I'm lucky if the two pieces even stick together - okay, maybe a little better than that...) I would do the 'weld-to-the-nut' trick if I wasn't so successful getting them out other ways - usually. I believe the heat of the welding is what really does the trick here.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode