Headers Help - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old May 9th, 05, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Headers Help

I have a 1969 Camaro with factory a/c and power steering. I can not find a header that will work. Hooker won't work with a/c and headman won't work with power steering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old May 10th, 05, 09:43 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Headers Help

I would call JEGS or SUMMIT and let a sales rep help you, surely someone has your Application.

Rob

Robert

'69 X-33 since 1984

"Its all crazy..."
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old May 10th, 05, 10:17 PM
Senior Tech
Charles

i have faxtory ac and power steering. i am planning on dropping my motor in this thursday night. i can email you some pics of Thorley tri-Y headers and how they fit by this weekend. i've seen pics of the clearance on the power steering side, about an inch or better, but never one of the ac suitcase side. i'll take a pic of both sides for you.

read my sig. this is a HUGE milestone for me!!! yee hawwww!!!! let the fun begin.

BELIEVE IN YOUR DREAMS
1969 SS X55 NOR added RS all NOS sheetmetal, ground up resto. 24 year project and dream. optioned out the wazoo. in one thousand pieces, and coming together finally.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old May 10th, 05, 11:24 PM
Senior Tech

Very cool run269!

I bought my car in 1984. It is an Olympic gold, custom interior, rally sport 1969 Z-28 that I have not driven in 20 years- but it is getting close.

Congratulations on the milestone - fire that puppy up!

Rob

Robert

'69 X-33 since 1984

"Its all crazy..."
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old May 11th, 05, 06:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

BrianBart,

Hookers will work with factory A/C and PS. The part numbers for 1-5/8 full length is 2451HKR and shorties are 2466HKR. Add a -1 before the HKR for ceramic coated. Be aware if your car sits low the drivers side header on the full length version hangs down a bit more than the right side.

Run269,

I'd like to see those pics as I've always heard the Tri-Y's would not work with factory A/C

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old May 11th, 05, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Thank Guys, I ordered a pair of hooker 1 5/8" from jegs. I was trying to find 1 3/4" I will see how they fit this weekend. Can you get them in from the up top.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old May 11th, 05, 02:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

the drivers side won't, ever, and the pass side won't with the a/c box in the way.... oh well...

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old May 11th, 05, 07:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Edit: Jim's right. Jack it up high and go from the bottom.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old May 13th, 05, 07:23 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run269
... i am planning on dropping my motor in this thursday night. i can email you some pics of Thorley tri-Y headers and how they fit by this weekend...
Hey Run269,
Did you install last night as planned? Can't wait to see pics of your Thorleys mounted. Mine are scheduled to arrive this afternoon!

A couple of questions:
> Which Thorleys did you get? Model 375 or 376? Looks like most people use the model 376, but I decided to go with the 375s for my 68 Camaro after talking to a Thorley sales rep.

> I assume you are installing a small block Chevy. Which frame stands and motor mounts are you using? I've heard these can impact header clearance.

Thanks for the info, and good luck with the install.
- Rob C.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old May 16th, 05, 06:13 PM
Senior Tech
Charles

o.k. guys,

here's the scoop on thorley's 376 tri-y and factory ac.

THEY DO NOT FIT!!!!!

i have the Z28 frame mounts and a small block.

man it's close though. ac suitcase was off and just when the motor mounts were 1" above the frame stands i installed the thorley's. no shoe horn needed. both from the top too. please note i have no sheetmetal at all forward of the firewall, so the motor went in almost level.

there is right at 1/2" clearance between the header tube and the power steering box. i could have used that 1/2" on the ac side.....argh!!!

the suitcase will actually locate but is touching the pipe and the pipe keeps the suitcase from seating on the firewall by about 1/2". man soooo close. if thorley would just tweek that tube a little more it would work.

but the good news!!!! my HEI dropped right in with at least 1/2" clearance to the firewall. headers are cinched down tight and i'm now hooking up my clutch return spring. uhhh make that fabricating something to make it work. not real sure the hose clamp trick will work with the thorley's unique design.

got my pulleys on back order at summit and just getting all squishy thinking about what to bolt on next.

oh, some more about the thorley's,
when looking from the side of the car there is almost no header showing below the subframe. the top of the 3 sided bolt flange at the end of the header is 1/2"-3/8" away from the floor, AND level from side to side!!

spark plugs, and getting to them. i installed the Accel shorty plugs and could actually get a standard spark plug socket on some of them. others (most) i had to use a regular craftman wrench on. right angle boots will have no problem i think with touching the pipes. by the way i have aluminum angle plug heads. seem that it might be easier to loosen and tighten them from underneath the car.

i also used the GM ZZ4 dipstick tube which works great for headers and crate motors.

header bolts....

the 1" bolts that came with the thorley's seemed grossly short for aluminum heads, only about 3/8"-1/2" of threads going into the head. i decided and used 1-1/4" socket head cap screws. they worked great and only one rubbed the tube going in. i shortened an old allen wrench and put a socket and extension on the other end and tightened away.

well guys, there's the scoop, thorley's and factory ac do not mix. for now i've ordered the ac delete box. perhaps some day i will add vintage air or some other brand of ac.

p.s. just a last thought. changing frame and motor mounts will make no difference with the thorley's i think. after looking at it and pondering it i just don't think moving the motor up down or forward or back will get you enough room to squeeze the thorley's past the suitcase.

BELIEVE IN YOUR DREAMS
1969 SS X55 NOR added RS all NOS sheetmetal, ground up resto. 24 year project and dream. optioned out the wazoo. in one thousand pieces, and coming together finally.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old May 16th, 05, 06:44 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Hey Run269 could you modify a Nova suitcase to clear the headers?They are fiberglass very easy to work with.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old May 16th, 05, 06:57 PM
Senior Tech

Hedmann's work just fine with power steering, thats what I run!
Hedmann Headers - Part Number 65003 ($179)

Also available are the Ceramic Coated versions, Part # 66003 ($438 at summit)

1969 Camaro - GM 2003 Electron Blue
Beck Racing 383 cu in 465HP Engine - Sean Murphy Inductions Stage 2 Quadrajet
TCI Streetfighter 350 - 3.73:1 Posi 10 Bolt Rear - 12.6 sec qtr mile

and
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old May 16th, 05, 07:02 PM
Senior Tech

Run269 - - Thanks for the info. Pics??
My Thorleys arrived last Friday. BEAUTIFUL HEADERS!! If all goes well, I should be installing in a couple weeks. No a/c on my car though.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old May 16th, 05, 07:18 PM
Senior Tech
Charles

67plum,

i have no idea what a nova suitcase looks like. can somebody post a pic?

i thought about carving my case but it's a really nice case so i decided not to destroy it. after all it is vintage 69. worth way more unmolested.

i can't post pics, wah. i don't have a webhost or site yet. but i did take some pics and maybe i can even email them with this crappy netzero.net bullsh...

ohh, sorry, just a little bashing going on there

BELIEVE IN YOUR DREAMS
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old May 16th, 05, 07:21 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Nova case is the same as a Camaro but easier to find.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode