Milky Oil and coolant in #7, am I screwed or what? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old May 9th, 05, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Milky Oil and coolant in #7, am I screwed or what?

Ok this is a break in of a brand new stroker. As far as I know the heads were assembled, torqued properly. I installed the manifold myself and feel good about that. The motor ran fine and after getting the radiator topped off correctly (this is where I'm scared b/c it took 3 different heat up and cool down sessions before it didn't drop off anymore) So after that it help temp right around 195. Drove it a few miles on two different days. On day two out of nowhere it reached 250 on my tmp gauge and I shut it down. Let it cool, restarted and drove it the 2 miles back to the house at a perfect 190. The next morning I noticed oil drops and saw rather wet oil around the #7 spark plug. I then checked the oil and it was for sure milky. I pulled the spark plug #7 and about a cup of coolant followed it all over my hand. Needless to say I shat myself.

The other plugs were all dry, number 6 had a tiny oil on it but no coolant. It definatley got hot each time we were fooling with the coolant and there were some serious drops that required more and a quart to get the radiator refilled. All but the last time I ran it it also bubbled and you could hear water moving around (b/c of air pockets no doubt). The last time I filled it that was taken care of (so I thought)

So where would you guys start?

383 Stroker, Edelbrock alum heads, air gap manifold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old May 9th, 05, 03:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Milky Oil and coolant in #7, am I screwed or what?

head gasket, I hope

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old May 9th, 05, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: Milky Oil and coolant in #7, am I screwed or what?

I sure hope so too but can that happen from heat???? Told you I was clueless

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old May 9th, 05, 03:40 PM
Senior Tech
Al

A cup of water in the combustion chamber could have some very damaging effects.. Since water doesn't compress, something else has to give, such as a connecting rod or a piston. I would be real tempted to tear the engine down and inspect it to make sure nothing is amiss, and while I'm at it have the heads checked for cracks.

Water in the combustion chamber can come from a few causes, but the first thing I would suspect would be a bad head gasket. Next on the list would be a cracked head, and third would be a cracked block.

I guess I really didn't answer you question....but I'd err on the side of safet and protecting you investment.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old May 9th, 05, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

I hope a cup was an exageration but I have no way on knowing. I was planning on taking the head to get it checked. Should I pull the other side too?
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old May 11th, 05, 08:49 AM
Tech Team
Rich

I wouldn't touch the other side just yet. When you take the head to your engine guy, take the head gasket along too. Hopefully, you didn't damage it too bad during disassembly because it can tell a story if you know what to look for.
Rich

In order to finish first, you must first finish
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old May 11th, 05, 12:10 PM
Senior Tech

WAIT!! Before you go tearing the head off, start with the first things FIRST!

Have you performed a compression test yet? Change the oil & filter and then do that. Start with the cylinder in question, and then do each of the other cylinders on that bank.

He gave several clues that COULD lead you to believe it has a bad head gasket-and in the end it just might. But BEFORE he goes tearing the motor apart, check the obvious things first. In his original post it states "air gap manifold"... Okay, is that the one by EDELBROCK, or the knock-off put out by Perform-less Products?

If he has the knock-off he might have found his problem right there. Do a search under my user name and you will find that I had a very similar problem recently. Now where exactly is cylinder #7 located?? Oh yes, drivers side of the motor all the way at the rear.. And what is it next to? Oh yes, the water port in the end of the head.. And how well machined are the knock-off air gaps...... :-(

Change the oil and filter first, then perform the compression test. If the compr. test checks out okay, rent/borrow one of the cooling system testers that pressurizes the cooling system and check for leaks that way. If the pressure drops over time (can't remember what the instructions say) you may have found your problem.

Otherwise, the compression test is still a valuable diagnostic tool to determine/decide what is really happening within the motor and should be performed before a tear down.

Let us know what you find. Feedback is helpful to other members who might be experiencing the same, or similar problems as you in the future.

Good luck!

1969 383CI, T-56, 12 bolt-3.31 posi, 13" C5 Rotors, PBR Calipers, rear disc system..
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old May 11th, 05, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks GO69, I like that approach (compression test) and will try that next week when I can get my buddy up to do it. The intake is a genuine Edelbrock so I doubt that is it but you never know. I'll let you guys know the results of the comp. test.

Thanks - Dave
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old May 12th, 05, 11:05 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

The easiest way to tell a combustion leak (blown head gasket, cracked head or block) from a non combustion leak (intake manifold gasket, rocker stud etc) is to use a radiator exhaust gas tester like this one http://www.arrowheadradiator.com/hea..._leak_test.htm Once you have determined the type of leak then you can futher diagnois the problem.

70 Camaro, 355, th350, 4.10 posi.
74 Trans Am, 400, th400, 2.73 posi.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old May 19th, 05, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Ok I didn't want to take any chances so went ahead and pulled the head off. I see no visible cracks on the head and the gasket didn't look torn (there was a little blow by between the chambers on the head gasket but not much) However the gasket was wet all over and coolant was found in ALL FOUR chambers. No oil is mixed with it and there was no oil in my fluid when I drained the radiator. I have yet to pull the other head.

Anymore thoughts after that info? I'll pull the other side and take that and the manifold in to have them checked out I guess.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old May 19th, 05, 02:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

did you pull the plugs at the bottom of each side of the block before you pulled the heads/

if not, that's where all that water came from. the lower edge of the head surface is much lower than the water pump, if you only drained from the radiator or lower hose, there was still enuf water in the block to flood everything.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old May 19th, 05, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Jim are you talking freeze plugs or spark plugs? All the spark plugs were pulled
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old May 19th, 05, 05:52 PM
Senior Tech
Al

He means the coolant drain plugs - one on each side of the block, about in the center, just above where the oilpan bolts up.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old May 19th, 05, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Al, didn't even occur to me.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old May 20th, 05, 12:23 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Sometimes those drainplugs gan be a real #$stard to remove as they rust up pretty good. You can drain the block far enough for head removal by removing a lower water pump bolt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode