Olds 402 Swap - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 10th, 05, 04:16 AM Thread Starter

Olds 403 Swap

Anyone with any information on swapping a Olds 402 and a Olds TH400 into a 69 Camaro? Would it be an easy swap? Is it just a crossmember and Engine mount issue? Any and all help Always Greatly appreciated!!

Thanks..

Out...

Last edited by xtremdude; May 10th, 05 at 10:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 10th, 05, 06:18 AM

Question Re: Olds 402 Swap

You mean an Olds 403 motor like out of a later Pontiac T/A??

I figure the usual exhaust manifolds/headers deal too as well as what locations are the rad. hoses at? Maybe a rad.???

That and BB springs, etc...

Maybe the driveshaft length too???? Depending if the TH400 has short or long tailhousing???

pdq67

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 10th, 05, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Re: Olds 402 Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67
You mean an Olds 403 motor like out of a later Pontiac T/A??

I figure the usual exhaust manifolds/headers deal too as well as what locations are the rad. hoses at? Maybe a rad.???

That and BB springs, etc...

Maybe the driveshaft length too???? Depending if the TH400 has short or long tailhousing???

pdq67

Yes I meant 403... Sorry.. I was in a rush this morning. It is a Small block.

Thannk for the info.. I will check the olds and see what is what..

Much Appreciated!!

out...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 10th, 05, 08:31 PM

Smile Re: Olds 402 Swap

Beg to differ here but it is a "low-deck" big block motor is the only diff. between it and the big tall deck 455.

Just a point of clarification is all.. Good motor but some weak in the mains bulkhead areas!!!

pdq67

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 11th, 05, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67
Beg to differ here but it is a "low-deck" big block motor is the only diff. between it and the big tall deck 455.

Just a point of clarification is all.. Good motor but some weak in the mains bulkhead areas!!!

pdq67
Very good info. As I said. I am not very familiar with the engine. So I am Especially appreciative for this info.

Take care. I will keep you posted on it. I have a chance to get the Freshly rebuilt motor and matching 400 trans for about $1100. All he wants is the money the machine shop charged him.

Thanks again.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 11th, 05, 11:52 AM
Senior Tech

$1100 goes a long way toward freshening a small block and TH350 combo. 2nd Gen F-bodies (late 70s Firebirds) had the 403 as an option, so it would bolt into a 2nd gen car no sweat, but it's not worth the effort IMO.

Here's some good info on the 403. http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofe403.htm

Keep in mind when the above page says "bolts in in place of 350", they mean an Olds 350, not a Chevy 350.

For less than $500, it might be worth trying. For $1100 plus whatever pain you're going to have trying to get the thing in and running good, I'd skip it.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 12th, 05, 11:30 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

A few things about 1st gen f bodies, on pontiac firebirds from 67 to 69 the engine was mounted differently then on later 70-81 2nd gens. All poncho engines built after 70 have two sets of motor mount bolts for this reason, one set is for 69 and older cars, the other is for 70 and up. Your olds engine will not have properly located engine mount holes, you will have to fabricate your own set. Second the wiring will have to be modified, the starter, alternator and other misc wiring will have to be extended/modified as will the fuel pump, all this stuff is on the other side of the car. I also would be worried about the oil pan not clearing the rear stearing of a 1st gen f body, you might have to modify the oil pan to clear.

Alll in all, for the time and money it would take to swap in a 403 you could have one bad mofo of a chevy engine that would bolt right in.

70 Camaro, 355, th350, 4.10 posi.
74 Trans Am, 400, th400, 2.73 posi.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 13th, 05, 06:29 AM

Smile Re: Olds 402 Swap

I was just thinking that about the only real off-beat swap I would actually do if I had a good motor would be a 500 Cad.!!

And I would even go so far as drill the crank AND put a pilot bushing in it for a stick installation behind the big motor as well as 3.08's or maybe even higher rearend "road" gears for cruising b/c of all the new-found torque!!!!

pdq67

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 13th, 05, 10:15 AM
Senior Tech

didn't the 70-74 Olds Omega (think Nova) have Rocket power? all you'd need is the proper frame stands and engine mounts from one of those cars, and it would literally drop right in.
i say get it, do it, and show it off at the shows. and if you really want to get a reaction, tell everyone that asks that your Camaro is a factory big block car, but the 396 just didn't have enough oomph for ya, so you decided to go with Rocket power. and if they really get pushy, just tell them its a 307 out of an 86 Regal and watch their heads explode..

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 13th, 05, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaderrik
didn't the 70-74 Olds Omega (think Nova) have Rocket power? all you'd need is the proper frame stands and engine mounts from one of those cars, and it would literally drop right in.
i say get it, do it, and show it off at the shows. and if you really want to get a reaction, tell everyone that asks that your Camaro is a factory big block car, but the 396 just didn't have enough oomph for ya, so you decided to go with Rocket power. and if they really get pushy, just tell them its a 307 out of an 86 Regal and watch their heads explode..
Your comments would be what send me over the edge to DO IT!! if I do. Watching heads explode and Jaws being picked up off the pavement are what it is all about.

Thanks..
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 13th, 05, 11:13 AM

Thumbs up Re: Olds 402 Swap

Sorry, my bad!!

I completely forgot that each one of the NOVA cars had their own motors and that everything would bolt right on our S/f's!!

Good going Nova for remembering!!

pdq67

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 13th, 05, 01:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Lets not forget good old GM interchangeability.

A friend once put a 427 chevy in a 66 cutlass. It bolts right in using chevalle motor mounts and the stock frame mounts.

I'm reasonably certain that the motor mount throughbolts are exactly the same distance apart on ALL modern GM V8's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode