Magnaflow Muffler Disatisfaction - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 05, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Magnaflow Muffler Disatisfaction

I got mufflers, tailpipes, etc put on my nearly finished 69 today. I should have bought Dynamax Super Turbos. I was short on time and put on what the muffler shop had-Magnaflows. The tailpipes are 2 1/4 inch coming from Heddman hedders. The engine is real mild-balanced with a small duration Comp cam. The sound produced reminds me of some of the kids that pass my house in their jacked-up Z71 4 wheel drive p/u's-lugging along with a blat-blat-blat sound. These Magnaflows are goners. Some folks might like that but I don't. I didn't do an x pipe and I think that was also a mistake. I have the Super Turbos on a bb 71 Chevelle and they sound good. I messed up. Fixing it will cost.
Mike

69Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 05, 05:57 AM

Smile Re: Magnaflow Muffler Disatisfaction

First, add either an "H" or an "X" pipe before them..

Then decide if you want to change them out.

pdq67

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 05, 06:59 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

Re: Magnaflow Muffler Disatisfaction

Upgrading to a 2.5" pipe will mellow out the sound too.

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 05, 10:08 AM

I just got rid of my Magnaflows for the same reason. I had 2 Spintech Sportsmans installed a couple of weeks ago and couldnt be happier.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 05, 11:52 AM
Senior Tech
Wes

Same here,..made the mistake of listening to wave files to determine the sound I wanted. Chose and installed the Magnaflows...they lasted a week, which is about how long it took for my Dynomax Turbos to arrive. I'm happy now, but paid the price.

For the record, I boxed up the Maganaflows and sent them back to their corparate offices in CA,..with a note detailing my dissatisfaction, and asking for a refund or credit. Didn't hear word from them.

Mario Andretti can KMA. Those things sounded like craaap.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 05, 03:26 PM

Unhappy Re: Magnaflow Muffler Disatisfaction

Mike,

Sorry to hear about the Magnaflows not working out...I listened to the sound clips on the magnaflow website and they sounded just like what you described.

I think I'll stick to the Dynomax super turbos....

-Mark
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 05, 09:23 AM
Senior Tech
John

I agree. I have the Dynomax Ultra Flo Welded mufflers (similar to Magnaflow in construction) with no crossover pipe. I hate 'em, but can't justify spending good money to replace brand new mufflers.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 05, 08:13 PM
Senior Tech
Marc

I have a 3" exhaust system after my headers. I'm running an X-pipe with the Dynomax Magnum Race Welded Mufflers (Ultra flo fully welded mufflers) and it dumps out right behind the tires. I love the sound and I have had nothing but compliments. Jegs sells these for $69.99.

Marc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 Camaro, 454, TH400, 9" 4.11's

Last edited by camaro man; Sep 13th, 05 at 08:24 PM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 05, 08:39 AM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

An H-pipe will not get rid of the "glasspack" sound. An X-pipe will. You probably won't have any problem selling the Magnaflows.

67 Camaro [email protected], [email protected], 1.455 60ft 421sbc
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 05, 03:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Alex

No substitute for a Flow master!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 05, 04:16 AM
Senior Tech
Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsterman
No substitute for a Flow master!
There are substitutes if you want a high flow exhaust. Compare the CFM of the Flowmasters to other mufflers especially the Dynomax Ultra flo Welded mufflers. check out the link below.

http://www.dynomax.com/ultrafloweld.stm

The flowmaster website doesn't have the flow ratings of there mufflers, why?.

Marc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 Camaro, 454, TH400, 9" 4.11's
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 05, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I put the Dynamax Super Turbos on along with an H-Pipe (the x-pipe would not fit due to driveshaft/emergency brake cable clearance problems). The car sound much better-the glasspack sound is gone.
Anybody want to buy some almost new Magnaflows for pretty cheap?
Mike

69Mike
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 06, 11:52 AM

I put a Magnaflow crossflow on my 69 406...very disappointing...sounds like a teenager driving a straight six trying to convince you he has a big block under the hood...just a loud resonating sound...no engine sound coming through...just muffler noise. DON'T BUY THIS UNIT.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 06, 12:23 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

2 1/4 with Flowmaster 40s.I like the way it sounds.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 06, 03:14 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

My car is a '68 with 454 (alum heads, roller cam) and Hooker Super Comp 2" headers, 3" X-pipe, reduced into 2.5" mufflers and full tails. Engine is around 525hp.

Interior resonance is my biggest gripe, and I have been trying all kinds of systems in the last few years. First was Flowmaster's American Thunder 2.5" H-pipe system with 40 series Deltas and tailpipes just behind rear wheels. Wicked loud inside and out, just way too loud overall. Then added Flowmaster full tailpipes exiting out rear. Better but still too loud. Then went to 50 series Deltaflow mufflers, real nice sound outside car but still the resonance. Then went to 3" X-pipe, retaining the 2.5" 50 series mufflers and full tails. Awesome sound outside, but interior resonace still there.

Then went to Magnaflow straight-through mufflers; worse interior resonance than the Flowmasters, plus they just plain sounded crappy to me. The Magnaflows lasted a grand total of about 30 minutes of driving for me.

I switched back to the Flowmaster 50 series and added some Car Chemistry inserts into the collectors, which really helped with interior resonance. Flowmaster sound is really nice, especially when it stays outside the car, LOL.

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode