H.O. 350 crate, deluxe or not? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 05, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

H.O. 350 crate, deluxe or not?

You think its worth it for the extra money to get the setup'Deluxe'or do you think you could get the 'Standard' and add the extra stuff yourself cheaper? The deluxe is pretty much adding a intake, carburetor, distributor, water pump, torsional damper, and auto trans flexplate for an extra $900.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 05, 03:14 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: H.O. 350 crate, deluxe or not?

It all depends on if you allready have all that stuff or not.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 05, 05:34 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Re: H.O. 350 crate, deluxe or not?

I've done them both ways, and it's worth it IMO for the deluxe, if you want the 330 horse combination.

Also you didn't mention premium plug wires, spark plugs, T-stat and housing, dipstick and tube, oil filter, and a 14X3 chrome drop-base air cleaner assy.

Some of them even have 5 quarts of oil installed.

It sure makes it nice just to be able to virtually plug in the new motor and go.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't mess with Texas!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 05, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

If you want to plug in the motor and go they sell the turn key version too. So you think all those extras on the deluxe would be more than the difference if i bought them seperately?

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 05, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

I came across the "project humble pie" series that Car Craft ran on the H.O. 350.They managed to get 377 HP out of it with an Edelbrock RPM air gap intake,Holley 750, and a set of headers. Then they added a cam and roller rockers and got 420 HP and 433 Ft lbs og torque. Maybe i could buy the standard and put that other $900 to good use on some different go fast goodys.I'd be happy with 377 HP.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 05, 07:03 PM
Senior Tech
Rod

It sounds like a win-win either way. Buy the deluxe or or buy the standard and build to suit your needs. While you will have more HP/TQ if you build I bet you will end up spending a lot more than $900, which is fine as long as you know that going in.

BTW I had the deluxe version before and it ran extremely well with no mods other that a set of headers.

Rod
69 Camaro with LS2/4l70e

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 05, 07:44 PM
Senior Tech
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoddy_F-body
You think its worth it for the extra money to get the setup'Deluxe'or do you think you could get the 'Standard' and add the extra stuff yourself cheaper? The deluxe is pretty much adding a intake, carburetor, distributor, water pump, torsional damper, and auto trans flexplate for an extra $900.
is the stuff they give you good, or crap?

a good intake, will run you $200, a good carb, $300, a good distrib setup, up to $400
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 05, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

They give you a GM dual plane intake,holley 600 and a GMPP HEI.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 05, 12:19 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

I don't like the fit and looks of the HEI in the first gen. I have one and it looks out of place and is harder to tune due to it being so close to the firewall. I have been looking at this same set up and read the Carcraft article. The dist sorta shoots it down for me. I think I would build and get what you want. The base is an excellent way to go. You can also change out the cam easly. I have heard/read that the block is the type that will accept GM roller parts so installing a roller cam should be cheap compared to reto roller set ups. I think a roller cam and rockers (hot cam kit maybe) RMP intake and the street Demon carb would be a sweet set up. That has to be good for an honest 400 HP I think and with the right gears and overdrive I think it would get 20 or more MPG also. Now that would be one really sweet set up..........dreams would be to get 25 MPG on the highway just cruzin.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 05, 01:51 PM
Senior Tech

Here is the carcraft article.
http://www.carcraft.com/projectbuild...ail/index.html

I went standard and bought the extra items the way I wanted.

I did not like the carb and dist choices.
I also run a cheapy vortec intake but I like it alot, found on line for about 100 bucks new-polished.
http://www.professional-products.com/

My Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode