290hp Gmpp 350 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 05, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

290hp Gmpp 350

I'm looking at the H.O. 350, but its amazing how a $2400 engine turns into a $4000 engine real quick by the time you pay either shipping or local sales tax and buy the rest of the needed parts. Anyone know about this
engine?Is it the same as the 'target' motor with the HP bumped up?The target motor is like $1300 and rated at 190 HP. It is sold under the 'Goodwrench' name where the 290HP 350 is a GM Performance Parts engine. Anyone?

Edit- i found a little info
http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/Chev...90hp350gm.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 05, 01:48 PM
Senior Tech

Re: 290hp Gmpp 350

If they are the same or not your gonna have to buy the extra parts either way.
Car Craft did a nice review or the 350HO.

I run the 350 HO and like it, pretty good for the money.

http://www.carcraft.com/projectbuild...ail/index.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My Camaro
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 05, 04:44 PM
Senior Tech

GM has a roller cam equipped "crate" engine long block rated at 280hp. and it can be found for $1500-$1900- if you get a dealer willing to deal.
it is a replacement engine for a TBI 350 equipped 92 Caprice- non cop car.
it has hyper pistons, PM rods, steel crank, and a roller cam.
sure, it has the crappy TBi heads on it- but a guy could possibly sell them off for a few hundred $$$ and put that money towards a set of Vortecs and have a 300+ hp engine for a couple grand.
of course, you might not be able to run a mechanical fuel pump with that cam, but if you swap in a HOT cam kit when you do the head swap, then you've got a 400hp engine for about $3k....

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 05, 04:53 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

My thought are what nova just said. I posted in it in your other thread. I think I would get the engine he's talking about sell the heads get the vortecs and a comp roller cam. I think this would be the most bang for the buck way to go. I bet you could sell the heads for $300 -$400 and that almost gets you vortecs for cheap. The roller cam parts are more expensive than that I think. Does anyone know if the Vortec crate engine has the hyper pistons? I know it has a 4-bolt but..........??????

The hot cam kit and vortecs is the plan I have or a comp cam. I have not made up my mind. I keep waffeling. When I get the money for the engine I hope to be able to make a timely decision. Keep us up to date Shoddy on what you do. I want to know how it turns out.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 05, 06:51 PM

Smile Re: 290hp Gmpp 350

You may not want to assemble one, but I think Midwest Motorsports has a "claimer" 350 motor shortblock kit for around $700 to $800! Then buy a set of heads and go from there.

pdq67

PS., and btw, I figure that motor is just a Goodwrench with the old -962, 350hp/350 hy-cam in it AND at 8 to 8.5 to 1 CR. won't run very well, but may make what they advertise??

Up the CR. with a set of small chambered heads and shim headgaskets to right at 10 to 1 and get 330 to 350hp out of it like they did way back there..

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 05, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

I want to drop it in.I dont want to swap heads and cams and so on.I could build a motor if i wanted to do all that. I really have to much going on at one time to get into engine assembly.Its hard enough to find time just to work on the car.I was planning on the 350 H.O but when you sit down and add it up Its going to be well over 4k to have a complete running engine. Then for that money i could get a zz4. I need pullies,everything. And i still need to buy a tranny and about a ton of other parts to finish the car.. I was thinking of going with the engine linked in my first post.Its the 290HP GM Performance parts 350. About 1,600 + tax or shipping depending where i buy it. Then i figure another grand for carb,intake,distributer,flexplate,balancer and some headers. That would put me around $2700-$2800. Then i could get a TCI or B&M tranny for around $800 and be around the price i would be paying for just the H.O.350 deluxe.Which is about $3500 plus tax/shipping. Im still kicking it around. Things sound good on paper but when it comes to the reality of finishing a car it starts coming down to dollars and cents. I never really planned having 5k in the motor and trans.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 05, 09:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

and you've been working on this car for how long, Chris? sounds like you're getting a little antsy. 5k for an all-new motor and trans is cheap... 3500 is almost free.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 05, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Im not getting antsy.Just trying to get it figured out and theres so many different ways to go it can make your head spin.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 05, 10:08 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

The deal to me for what you want sounds like the Vortec one with the carb etc. Good deal with great heads, good MPG I bet and they say 330 Hp which is very nice and like 380 FT lbs. Not bad bang for the buck. Now for a trans I think you can save by going local near you and get a nicly built trans for about 600 complete with converter. Check the local dirt trackers and where.what they are getting. Deals to be had those guys

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 05, 07:06 PM

Smile Re: 290hp Gmpp 350

That's why I chimed in was to save you some coin, but I understand about time and hassle too..

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode