New 383 Smoking...AAHH - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 05, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Craig

New 383 Smoking...AAHH

Ok, forgive this post...might be a bit long. As some of you know i had a new 383 built for my 67 a month ago. I noticed a couple weeks ago that the engine was using more oil than i certainly thought normal. Even allowing for the fact that maybe rings hadnt seated yet etc... After about 300 miles i had already had to add 2 quarts of oil. Took a long trip this weekend with the car over Friday, Saturday and today. (About 500 miles) In that 500 miles it used another quart and a half. Couple of my buddies who were in their cars behind me tell me i am in fact puffing some smoke. Most of it actually when i let off the gas, today coming home on the expressway doing about 65mph i let off the gas, and came down to like 35mph and my buddy behind me tells me quite a bit of smoke coming out when i let off. I cant imagine this is an issue of the motor simply not being broke in yet. I am going to call the engine shop that built this motor tomorrow and see what they say. I know if there is a problem they will stand behind it. With that said i am still VERY frustrated and am having nightmare thoughts of having to pull the motor so that they can fix it. Anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing this? As i mentioned the motor now has a total of approx 800 miles on it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 05, 06:33 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

Re: New 383 Smoking...AAHH

There was a different poster with a similar problem and here was my reply...

What heads are you running? Lifter valley plugs by any chance? I chased this problem and have it about 95% solved (still get a little puff every now and then during braking).

Ultimately I think it was a combo of the lifter valley plug and screen kit plus the intake seal. Oil was pooling under the intake and during turns, etc. it would suck up into the bottom of the intake ports.

I went to better valve stem seals too but don't know if that was really the problem....

69 Camaro, 3650lbs., 400ci, TH400, Coan 10" converter, 3.50 gear
D1SC, pump gas, 9:1, 10 PSI, Water/Meth injection
1.325 60', 5.988 @ 115.4 (carb)
Switched to Super Sniper EFI 2019
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 05, 06:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Phil

I have built a lot of engines over the years and have never experianced the problem that you are having. Something is definately wrong! Did your buddies see oil coming from both tail pipes or only one side? Have you pulled all eight spark plugs and determined which cylinder/cylinders is burning the oil by looking at the sparkplugs? If it is ring related, a compression test will not tell you anything. If the cylinders were honed properly and moly rings were installed, ring seating should have occured during the 25 minute cam break-in period. I would take this engine right back to where it was built and tell the guy to FIX it! That's what I would expect from a customer if I built a mosquito sprayer like you have described. Good luck.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 05, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Craig

I did talk to the shop today and i think we have figured out the problem. I checked the pcv hose and it was all wet inside with oil. It appears i was sucking oil out of the valve covers thru the pcv hose and into the intake. Suppose maybe i should have thought to check this as the problem was really on heavy deceleration when creating a huge amount of vaccuum. When i had the motor built i had the shop put my old valve covers on the new motor, when i got the motor home i had decided i was going to put new valve covers on...hadnt done it yet. Bought new (GM) valve covers today with a seemingly better baffle design than my old covers. Am hoping this keeps the oil from being sucked into the pcv line. Sound like that was my problem to you guys?? By the way, i asked the guy at the shop about the rings just for kicks and he confirmed that the moly rings would have been seated when it left their shop after cam break in and dyno.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 05, 08:34 PM
Senior Tech

It is possible that you are sucking oil from the PCV. I had a pair of the GM cast aluminum BBC valve covers, and had to make some baffles in them as I was doing the same thing, sucking oil through the PCV.

ASE Certified Master Collision Tech
Owner of Daves Restoration.
Wanted- '76 Nova SS
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 05, 05:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Gotta love the easy fixes. I use the Mr. Gasket pcv grommets with the stepped shoulder at the bottom with the slit to control oil. Let us know how you fare.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 05, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Craig

Yes, i was very happy that it was something simple...at least it seems at this point it was. Have to drive it a little and have my buddies follow me to be 100% sure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode