rebuild on original 350 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 05, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

rebuild on original 350

I plan on rebuilding my 67 SS 350 (original) and was wondering If you guys had any wisdom you would like to give me before rebuild. I do want to keep it mostly stock. The shop has done a motor for me in the past and did a good job. He said it will cost about $1600. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 05, 09:42 PM
Team Member
Christropher

Re: rebuild on original 350

You'd be best off selling that 350 to me for my car (as long as it's build date is close to mine) and putting in a 572ci BBC

Just kidding

Christropher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...in pieces still.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 05, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

I am very excited about having the original motor and plan to keep it, but the 572ci does sound fun.

Steve

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 05, 09:58 PM
Team Member
Christropher

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea
I am very excited about having the original motor and plan to keep it, but the 572ci does sound fun.

Steve
hehe, I'm still working on finding a correct 67 350 replacement for mine. I was just joking with ya.

I'm thinking a lot of advice you might get on rebuilding your 350 depends on what you see the future of the car being. How you plan on driving it, how often, and doing what in it...

Edit: What are you getting exactly in the rebuild from the shop you got the $1600 quote from?

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 05, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Good luck finding the right motor. A little back ground on the car. The guy had it under a tarp for the last 8 years and he has owned it for the last 20. It is an all original 67 SS convertable. I would like to restore it as best I can. The shop will go do a complete rebuild on the motor including: tear down, hot tank, bore, new pistons, crank, rebuild on carb, oil pump, casket kit, heads redone, valves, and I'm sure I'm missing something. He is and older guy who has run a shop in town for 35 years, and has a good rep.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 05, 10:23 PM
Team Member
Christropher

If he's going to do any decking on the block, make sure and double sure he doesn't grind off the engine stampings at the front of the passenger side head on the block. Those numbers are important!! If he thinks it needs to be decked and he can't do it w/out losing the engine stamping too, I'd take it somewhere else.

Christropher

...in pieces still.

"
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 05, 10:50 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to 1FASTZ Send a message via Yahoo to 1FASTZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwilcox33
If he's going to do any decking on the block, make sure and double sure he doesn't grind off the engine stampings at the front of the passenger side head on the block. Those numbers are important!! If he thinks it needs to be decked and he can't do it w/out losing the engine stamping too, I'd take it somewhere else.

clwilcox33 brings up a very good point. Once those numbers get decked off, you might as well put any engine in there, because the originality goes bye bye from an aesthetic point of view. If you don't plan on making a racing engine out if and the block deck looks reasonable, I'd consider leaving the deck as is. Just my opion.

Marty Lake
1969 Z/28 fathom green X77
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 05, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Thanks for the input guys. I have told him I want to keep the car all close to original as possible, but I will remind him about the #'s.

My brother-in-law says I should just have them do the machining and I should do the rest. I have never rebuild a motor on my own. I am machanilly inclined, do you think I should give it a try? I would have to see if time verse dollor is worth it.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 05, 08:15 PM
Senior Tech

I had the same thought about decking...don't lose those numbers! I'd document the heck out of it before you pull it and drop it off at the shop too...Photos of the engine in the car, close up photos of all the numbers on the front pad, just in case something gets screwed up.

A small block is pretty simple to put together, but you may need some tools you don't have. A piston ring compressor and valve spring tools comes to mind, and I'm sure there's some others I can think of right now. You'd need a good book like the one by Dave Vizard and some consumables like Plastigage for setting up the bearings.

If the machine shop gives a warranty (and stands behind it), the price doesn't sound bad. If it were me, I would let the machine shop at least set the short block up (install crank, rods, and pistons) and install the valves in the heads The cam install isn't hard, and heads on up is pretty simple.

Sometimes though, unless you want to learn a new skill and like the "cool" factor of saying you built it yourself, it's just better to let a good shop do it. I have the skill to do my big block for the 69, and have most of the tools and can borrow the rest, but I got a good deal at a reputable shop and was happy to pay the labor and not have to deal with it.

Depends on priorities, I guess...

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 05, 08:55 PM

Smile Re: rebuild on original 350

I wouldn't do anymore to it than a good old dingle-berry, "shade-tree" overhaul using a Northern Auto Parts ring and bearing kit and add a CC 268HE or a Crane/Cam Dynamics 272/272 Energizer hy-cam to wake her up!
Plus, do a good valve job on her and maybe some bowl rework and casting flash removal in the ports! And a cheap set of good old Z-28, (-142) springs too!! About $25 to maybe $35 or so a set!!

I say this b/c a 350SS, L-48 motor runs pretty hard stock!

I had NO more than the great, but now out-dated, 350hp/327, L-79 hy-cam in mine after 1,200 miles or so from brand new AND it ran fine!!

And I would add a set of good four tube, long headers b/c you can make some really decent extra hp by just letting her breathe at rpm using them.

pdq67

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 05, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Maybe I should practice on the 327 sitting in my garage out of a 68 Impala. Is there a big difference? I would like to learn more about motors, and I do have my two boys 12 and 14 that would be fun to learn with. I was just out in my garage looking at the sweet little car thinking I should tear into it I will start by taking it out and then see what I want to do with it.
Thanks for the input.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 05, 10:38 PM
Senior Tech

Only thing that should be different on a 68 327 vs. 67 350 is the length of crank stroke. Sizes of things like valves may be different, but everything is in the same places, looks the same, and comes apart and goes together the same. So, heck yes, it would be good practice. If you go so far as to actually rebuild the 327, you'll have to find another car to put it in (bet the 14 year old would have some ideas about that).

My boy is 5 and my girl is 2, so they won't be participating much in my 69 build (I hope it's done before they can do much ). My boy wants to help paint it, but unless I want it brush painted bright green that's probably out. By the time they are your kids' ages, maybe I'll be ready to do another.

Eric
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

My boys do want to help me with the Camaro, but I have to admit, I have two Mustangs that they are working on right now. They have to totally redo the Mustangs before they will see the title. Both are very active in working on them. We are to the point of replacing the floors right now.

I hope your kids get a chance to work on a car with you
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 07:32 PM
Senior Tech

I'm pretty certain making kids work on a Mustang is a form of child abuse...

Eric
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

It may damage them a little, but any involvement is good I also have a 37 Ford Coupe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode