750 Holley Idles too High, Sometimes - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Cameron

750 Holley Idles too High, Sometimes

I have a 750 vaccuum secondary Holley on my 400sb. It used to work fine, but the last couple of years, it has idled too high when warm. The problem gets worse as it gets colder outside. It will idle anywhere from 1200-1800 RPM, but if you let it idle long enough, it will usually make its way down to 900 RPM, but it may take a minute or sometimes more. I have checked for binding throttle linkage several times and it isn't binding up or sticking. I have also adjusted the idle mixture several times with no apparent help. Floats are set correctly. Could it be a power valve problem? That doesn't seem likely to me. I am usually a decent carburetor guy, but this one has me baffled. Any ideas?

49 Chevy 3100 Project
Acro Sport II Biplane
69 Camaro
400 Small Block
AutoGear M22 4 Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 10:59 AM
Senior Tech
Vince

Re: 750 Holley Idles too High, Sometimes

Do you have a choke? If so, what kind?

VINCE
69 CHEVELLE SS
502 EFI/[224/228 HR]/T56/3.90
*1.8/11.59/124.34*
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 11:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Could be the advance in the distributor sticking , either mechanical or vaccum.

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 11:49 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDEWAYS
Do you have a choke? If so, what kind?
Ditto. It sounds like it may be a choke issue.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

If power valve was bad, it would be dumping fuel and "loading up," lots of black smoke.

If floats are set too high, fuel will dribble from the venturi boosters.
Clogged idle air bleeds will show the same.
As suggested before, sticking advance weights will advance timing and idle speed goes up.
If manual or electric choke problem, fast idle cam could be sticking.
If electric choke, heater coil may be broken or a bad electrical circuit all the way to ground.
A vacuum leak maybe between the carb and intake or intake and head(s).

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 04:51 PM
Senior Tech

And one last common problem with the Holleys that may be your issue-the bushings in the throttle plates get worn and then allow a vacuum leak that can manifest itself intermittently. With the car idling, try spraying WD40 directly onto the ends of the throttle shafts to see if the engine RPM changes. I- have had SEVERAL base plates that needed to be re-bushed. When spraying the WD 40 try and rock the shafts within the bore to see if moving them causes additional clearance.

1969 383CI, T-56, 12 bolt-3.31 posi, 13" C5 Rotors, PBR Calipers, rear disc system..
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Cameron

The choke is electric and it is functioning properly. I checked that too. I bought this carb new a few years ago and it has 10k-15k miles on it so I would hope that the throttle shafts aren't worn, but I will check. I used to think that it was an intake leak too, but I have had three different sets of intake gaskets on, with no difference. The advance weights sticking is possible and I never would have thought of that. I'll look into that sometime this weekend. I have a Mallory mechanical advance Unilite distributor, if that makes any difference. I have had it for about 4 years. It probably has 20k miles on it.

49 Chevy 3100 Project
Acro Sport II Biplane
69 Camaro
400 Small Block
AutoGear M22 4 Speed
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 07:08 PM
Senior Tech
Vince

I have a 770 Avenger, and when I got it, it was doing what your does. Only difference is sometimes it would idle at 1200 instead of ~750. I had to rotate the choke housing clockwise slighlty so the choke flap would stay opened tightly. Turns out their wasn't enugh tension to keep the flap fully opened - sometimes the flap would close slightly and the fast idle mechanism would engage. If I stabbed the throttle a couple of times, th rpms would come down.

VINCE
69 CHEVELLE SS
502 EFI/[224/228 HR]/T56/3.90
*1.8/11.59/124.34*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode