outsmarted myself - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

outsmarted myself

Finishing a complete rebuild of a 327 out of a 68 RS convertible. Thought I would make my life easier an ordered a pertronix distributor. Tried (all afternoon) to install it and had the following problems:

1. Tight clearance for vacuum port on manifold.
2. No clearance for coil
3. Barely clears firewall

So, smart Camaro folks, what are my options to get electronic ignition? Put a pertronix kit in the original distributor? I'd probably have to get a replacement distributor before I do this because the old one is rusted/rough.

Any other thoughts?

jho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 03:03 PM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Send a message via AIM to CFunK
Re: outsmarted myself

Is it the Flamethrower or the Flamethrower HEI?

-Funk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 03:34 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

Question Re: outsmarted myself

this is just a pet peave of mine but just answer me this , why won't nobody leave the point's in the car's like they came from the factory with ??
they are all but trouble free , they NEVER leave you sitting beside the road with a blown module or pickup coil , they cost $2 buck's per year to maintain , I just don't understand ???

1967 RS 327

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 03:44 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Because points are not as reliable or trouble free as electronics. No need to carry an emery board to fix burned points. No high RPM bounce, etc... To each their own, but personally I don't ever want another car with points. What happens in a point car if the condensor goes bad? There are pros and cons to almost everything. What's right for one is not right for all.

As far as the Pertronix, I would put the kit in a standard points distributor. I have done it many times with great success. As long as you keep the voltages correct with electronic ignitions you should never have a failure (or VERY rarely).

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 03:49 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: outsmarted myself

http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 03:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

electronic ignitiom was one of the first mods I did to my car. While it true I've had some trouble this year, 5 years later, the fact of the matter is the car flat RUNS so much better than it did with points, I'll never go back.

Idles smoother, and slower.
Off idle bog gone
revs higher and cleaner
starts easier
etc...

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 04:19 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

Arrow Re: outsmarted myself

I have NEVER been left sitting beside the road with point's , I have owned two electronic setups , one GM HEI and one ACCELL electronic , was broke down with both of E'M ,

1967 RS 327
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 04:21 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

Talking Re: outsmarted myself

but of course I never had one of them there new fangled (ELECTRONIC IGNITIOM's) either ,

1967 RS 327
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

It is the pertronix flamethrower, standard base, huge cap.

I think I solved the problem. NAPA can get a replacement 'old style' distributor. I'll put that in for now and maybe convert to the electronic module over the winter.

I'd like to drive it before it starts getting cold.....

jho
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 05:33 PM
Senior Tech
Bill Miller

Camaroman7d, have you ever used the pertronix with a factory 69 camaro Tach.? I would like to convert mine to the new style pertronix 2 but I want to use my factory tach.

1969 RS convertible 327 1981 Z28 original unrestored
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode