Lifting a 502 by its Airgap RPM - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 05, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Red face Lifting a 502 by its Airgap RPM

OK....I didn't do too good in the high school physics class I took back in 1980, but I'm staring at my new ZZ502, sitting on it's pallet with my nice new RPM Airgap on top and a carb lift plate installed and engine crane in place and I'm thinking...those intake runners with all that open space under them don't look like they were designed to support the weight of an aluminum headed big block all by their lonsome.

I scanned the documentation that came with the manifold and it doesn't say I shouldn't lift the engine using a carb plate with this manifold.....but being the rocket surgeon/ brain scientist that I am......I'm still thinking it's something that just might void my warranty if I went ahead and did it and Edlebrock figured it out.....I'm thinking they'd say something like..."Don't be so stupid, Stupid!"

Any thoughts?
Tim

Meanchicken
68 SS
ZZ502; TKO-600; 3:73 Moser 12-bolt w/Detroit TruTrak; SSBC Force 10 4 wheel power disks;QA1 Coil Overs; Global West Tubulars;GNX Quick Ratio 12:1 PS; Hotchkis Front Sway Bar
87 Buick Grand National (does 10's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 05, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Lifting a 502 by its Airgap RPM

Like you, I'm alittle shy of lifting a large weight by alum threads. I'd feel better lifting from the accessory bolt holes in the ends of the heads.

Place drvr header, if used, into eng compartment first, then engine.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 05, 02:08 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

I think you'd be fine,..I've always used that "carb plate" on alum intakes but I also strapped a safety chain over the hoist hook just for cheap insurance.

That plate makes positioning the engine a breeze. If you use the traditional chain to the engine brackets or the ends of the heads, it's hard to get the engine back far enough without the engine lift coming in contact with the front of the car and possible body damage.

Good luck

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 05, 02:36 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Yeah, it will be fine.

I always use a carb plate on single carb motors.

Here is an iron headed 454 with Air-Gap and and a 700R4 attached that I used a plate on......I'm still alive as is the motor.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't mess with Texas!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 05, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks ZZ430.

The pic showing you've done this with an Airgap went a long way in settling me down. I've lifted small blocks by an aluminum manifold using the carb plate, but this is my first big block engine swap, and the fact that the airgap has that big ol' space under the runners compared to non-Airgap manifolds had me wondering.
I had visions of cracking runners and falling big blocks dancing through my head.

Tim

Meanchicken
68 SS
ZZ502; TKO-600; 3:73 Moser 12-bolt w/Detroit TruTrak; SSBC Force 10 4 wheel power disks;QA1 Coil Overs; Global West Tubulars;GNX Quick Ratio 12:1 PS; Hotchkis Front Sway Bar
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 05, 04:18 PM

Aluminum is stronger than you'd think, at least in tensile strength... now if you left it to sit for a few.... years, who knows
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 05, 05:40 PM
Senior Tech

I have a load leveler with four chain ends that have steal plates attached. I bolt the plates to the front and rear of the cylinder heads. I figure it would be damn near impossible to rip an aluminum bolt hole out sideways. But I stay away from the holes near the edge where the casting could crack away. I figure this is a pretty fool proof way of doing it and it works well with the load leveler.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 05, 02:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Alex

I usually use a chain from head to head, but you have to use little chunks of cardboad so you don't mess up aluminum heads, valve covers or paint. I bought a Carb plate. I have only used it one time, but it seemed to work great. It was a small block with aluminum heads though. You should be all good. I am all about making life easier and faster!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 05, 06:07 AM

Hey Tim,
What happened to those nice lift rings they sent with the motor already installed in two different places? I'm thinking the place you want to lift from would surely void the warranty on both items if a catostrafic moment would happen. It would be just the way my luck would run if I tried it.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 05, 06:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Use your head,, You are lifting a what 600# motor by means of 4 little 5/16 bolts set in aluminun ? Whata gonna do IF that decides to let go over the concrete floor or header panel or nice painted fender? Use the engine hooks to do it correctly , just like the factory did... This should not even be an option eventhough its offered.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 05, 07:41 AM

I've lifted a castiron head big block with super victor intake and the turbo 400 installed 4 different times now. One single 5/16 bolt in alum will lift about 350 lbs so 4 should be enough. Just make sure the bolts are at least grade 8 and go into the alum 3/4 inch and you will be fine
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 05, 08:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

while I prefer a leveler, many many people use carb plates. They are simple, safe, and effective.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 05, 08:36 AM
Senior Tech
Dano

I used the carb plate last summer to lift my fresh 327/TH350 combo to place into the 69 car. I got to the point where it was time to start lifting and thought the same thing: "These 4 nuts are gonna hold all that weight?"
It worked great for me. Since then, I have helped a buddy install a 396 and he used the leveler. It was slick! I will try that for sure next time....

Dano

If you can't see the bright side of life, try polishing the dull side...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 05, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17
Use your head...
Thanks for the great advice. I tried it out...didn't do me any good and gave me a bunch of painful little bumps all over my shaved and obtuse skull...but...using my head did learn me that aluminum is pretty tough stuff, so I lifted that 502 by it's Airgap using a carb plate and all went well. It now sits snugly on an engine stand where I'm flipping it around and trial fitting all my bolt on goodies to see what other silly questions I can post here as I fumblebutt my way through this engine swap.

When I get around to installing it in the car, I'll likely use the lift tabs at four corners (need to get two more since only two came with the engine) and a load leveler.

Thanks for the support, guys.
Tim

Meanchicken
68 SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode