Positioning rear cam bearing - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 05, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question Positioning rear cam bearing

How far is the rear most cam bearing supposed to be driven in? There is no ridge to stop it from being driven to far. I already know where to clock the hole in the bearing in relation to the hole in the block, but I'm not sure of the front to back placement. I tried installing a spare bearing to test it out. When the bearing oil hole is centered in the groove in the block, it looks like the bearing is to far back. I put in an old cam to see what is happening and it looks like the bearing it sticking out past the edge of the cam by maybe a 1/8". I then installed the bearing to where it was centered on the rear camshaft journal, but then the oil hole was maybe 1/3 covered up with the edge of the groove in the block(only 2/3s of the bearing hole was open to the groove). So what is more important? The bearing hole being fully open to the groove or the bearing being centered on the cam journal. Any suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 05, 10:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Re: Positioning rear cam bearing

I don't remember this being an issue when I've changed out the cam bearinngs. At any rate, I'd definately get the oil hole and groove lined up.

Larry
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 05, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-er
I don't remember this being an issue when I've changed out the cam bearinngs. At any rate, I'd definately get the oil hole and groove lined up.

Larry
Yeah, I've done camshaft bearings on 2 other engines and I don't remember going through all this. It is a LT1.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 05, 06:34 AM

What bearing part number are you useing.Are you shure they are not for the 283 that used a wide rear beaing.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 05, 06:47 AM
Bill

James.
The bearing should be installed so the hole is aligned with the groove, period. Like Mike said though, you need to make sure you have the correct bearing for the block that you are using. Some of the real early blocks used a wider bearing.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 05, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The block is a 1997 LT1 for a 1997 trans am. I double check the PN and they are the right ones.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode