New Engine, Low Oil Pressure? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 05, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Cameron

New Engine, Low Oil Pressure?

I just got my .040" over 400 back in my Camaro after sitting for almost a year. Anyway, I measured every clearance that I could and all of the bearing clearances came in at the middle to the high side of the tolerance. I did not check the cam bearing clearance, and I am still wondering why. Anyway, with straight 30 weight oil in it, I am getting about 15 psi at 800 rpm idle when hot. At 2000 rpm, I am at 45-50 psi. I am using a Melling M55A oil pump, standard volume, high pressure. This troubles me, I figured that I would have around 25 psi at idle. I know that I just need 10 psi, but I figured that a fresh rebuild would be better than 15 psi. I did install a Comp hydraulic roller camshaft this time around, would that have anything to do with the lower idle oil pressure? Seems like I remember reading somewhere that roller lifters bleed off more oil than regular lifters?

49 Chevy 3100 Project
Acro Sport II Biplane
69 Camaro
400 Small Block
AutoGear M22 4 Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 05, 08:39 AM
Senior Tech
Brad

Arrow Re: New Engine, Low Oil Pressure?

I have owned built and rebuilt small block's all my life and the pressure's you give sound like every small block I ever had ?? my 67 RS 327 camaro hold's about 12 to 17 idle and 35 to 45 at 2 to 3 grand , I have put 80K miles on it over the past 6 or 7 years and never had a problem ,
I did a 350 one time back when I had credit card's to get part's with and went all out with it , new crank kit from summit all fresh machine work on the block new cam bearing's hi volume oil pump the work's and it only held 20 psi at idle and after it had about 35K miles on it that dropped to 15 ??
so I personally don't think you have a problem ,

1967 RS 327
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 05, 08:57 AM

Re: New Engine, Low Oil Pressure?

Your oil pressure is normal. As long as it does not dip below 10PSI at idle, its normal. On a cold startup, mine starts at around 50-60 PSI, but when warmed up in Texas traffic, runs at 15-18 at idle when hot, then spikes to 40-45 PSI while driving. Race engine buiders will tell you the engine should have about 10 lbs for every 1000 RPM, or 60 PSI at 6K. You can do some mods to the pump to up the pressure, but its not necessary, and might actually cost you a couple of HP because of the additional drag on the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode