argh..... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 05, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Garage
argh.....

How is it that as I rebuild the front of my engine the alternator pulley is not aligning with the water pump & crank pulleys.

The alternator mount only fits one way, but I am suddenly looking at the alternator pulley being about 1/2 inch closer to the block that the other two pullies?

This is very frustrating

Paul

'69 Camaro, 250 inline 6, EFI Turbo rebuild is running!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, CC5S TKO 500, and more.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

V8 Camaros are like navels......Everybody has one.

The Toad. 1970 base Camaro (Navel), 350, turbo 700R4, 3.73 posi, Hotchkis TVS system,
Mrs. McGoo's & McGoo Jr.'s toy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 05, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: argh.....

Since you have a six cylinder, isn't the bracket adjustable in length? I seem to remember the 6-cyl I had did this.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 05, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Garage

Everett,

The lower alternator bracket is non-adjustable. It bolts to the lower portion of the block & positions the alternator on the engine. the upper mount is slotted to allow belt adjustment.

Paul

The Toad. 1970 base Camaro (Navel), 350, turbo 700R4, 3.73 posi, Hotchkis TVS system,

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 05, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Well, if it was aligned before removal & rework, and no parts have been changed out or swapped, then it should align with others.

Better said then done............
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 05, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Garage

That would seem reasonable wouldn't it?

Thus the title of my posting.

There are times when I think to myself that I should save the time & aggrevation & pay to have the work done on my car.

Paul

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 05, 02:09 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Well lets see, if the pulley is a 1/2 off, is the top bracket on an angle to the front of the alt? If there was a 1/2 in spacer behind the lower mount would it line up? Or would that throw the top mount off? Is it single pulley on pump, run belt to other pulley?

Trick1 68rs 454 4sp 12blt
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 05, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Garage

Unfortunately I cannot use a spacer. The mount bolts onto the side of the block & spacing would push the mount further away from the crank shaft, not further out towards the front of the engine.

I'll take a picture to show the issue.

My other problem is mounting the power steering. I have to carve up the pump bracket to clear the header. right now it is not sitting square & the pulley for it is on an angle.

I'll take everything off tomorrow night & have a look at it again.

Too bad march doesn't make pulleys & brackets for the 6 cyl.

Paul

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode