bent crank pulley: replace or fix? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 05, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

bent crank pulley: replace or fix?

My '68 Camaro w/orig 350 has a two-row crank pulley that has a pretty good wobble to it. The steering pump pulley (on top of it) is straight and runs true. Is there a way to bend back the bent crank pulley or should it just be replaced?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 05, 08:52 PM
Tech Team

Re: bent crank pulley: replace or fix?

Probably needs replacing. I have the pulley from my 327 that I am rebuilding. I got a set of March billet pulleys for the rebuild. It has three grooves. If it will work let me know. I will send it to you - free.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 05, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghack
Probably needs replacing. I have the pulley from my 327 that I am rebuilding. I got a set of March billet pulleys for the rebuild. It has three grooves. If it will work let me know. I will send it to you - free.
I sent you a private message.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 05, 05:28 AM
Tech Team
Wally

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanW
My '68 Camaro w/orig 350 has a two-row crank pulley that has a pretty good wobble to it. The steering pump pulley (on top of it) is straight and runs true. Is there a way to bend back the bent crank pulley or should it just be replaced?
Got any idea how the pulley got bent??? Is it bent or just not fitting in the harmonic balancer??? I've seen the face of the balancer with strange looking marks, like someone beat the crap out of the thing putting it on. That will distort the hole and the pulley won't set flat.

Gold 67
M.C.C. 559
1967 Malibu
1971 Malibu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 05, 06:10 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

My water pump was like that too. I found a bur <sp> at one thread hole and I must have went in a circle when I tightened up the bolts. Redid the bolts, filed bur<sp> still has the slightest wobble... I may have flexed it or the powder coating is un-even ?

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 05, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

The balancer is new and installed with the correct tool. I installed both pulleys with the engine out on a stand. I only noticed the wobble when breaking in the motor. The two-groove pulley came with the car and I added the third outer pulley for power steering. I'm not certain if it wobbled that much before, but I believe I installed everything correctly since the outer pulley doesn't wobble also.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 05, 02:59 PM
Senior Tech

I wouldn't go running that engine into high RPM range until you fix the pully. The added vibration will do the rotating assembly no favors at all, and could even cause a catostrophic failure if the wobble is severe enough.

Possible failures could range from the pully vibrating loose and richocheting around you engine compartment until it punches a hole through something like your oil pan, hood or radiator. Worse case will include that and your engine grenading under the vibration.

Meanchicken
68 SS
ZZ502; TKO-600; 3:73 Moser 12-bolt w/Detroit TruTrak; SSBC Force 10 4 wheel power disks;QA1 Coil Overs; Global West Tubulars;GNX Quick Ratio 12:1 PS; Hotchkis Front Sway Bar
87 Buick Grand National (does 10's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode